THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hope this is ok to ask - who should I book with for my first safari?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hope this is ok to ask - who should I book with for my first safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
As some of you know, I have been here a short time and already asked a ton of questions. I apologize for my enthusiasm, and I do ask a lot of questions, but that's my personality Cool

Had a few more (I'm sure there will be even more) but thought I'd post them here in order and see what you "experts" thought:

1 - What part of the year should I hunt PG in RSA? I'm mostly wanting zeebra, eland, warthog, impala, kudu, oryx and maybe springbok.

2 - How early should I book?

3 - Should I arrange my own flight or go through an agency that specializes in doing this? If I go that route, would they also arrange a lot of other things as well? Is it worth it, and if so what agency would you recommend?

4 - Finally, what outfitters would you recommend? Given that I am a first-timer, do like some creature comforts, and would like a "all-in-one" experience. I want the majority of my time spent enjoying the vacation, and then at night having a nice meal in decent accomodations. I also want the trophies to be taken care of properly by a reputable skinner/dip-packer. I would even consider letting them be mounted/taxidermed over there as well if the concession has a good relationship with a quality taxidermist (if this is not recommended, please let me know).

So far I have heard some good things about a few concessions and would love to hear your suggestions given my circumstances.

Thanks, guys!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't try to answer all your questions but

(1) Book your flight thru a reputable Travel Agency .... I used Gracey and couldn't be happier. Held my hand and led me thru the process with ease. There are others that other swear by but I can recommend Gravey 100%.

(2) Book your hunt as early as you can as quotas can fill quickly.

(3) Personally I wouldn't leave trophies in Africa for taxidermy work --- too many things can go wrong. Go back over the threads and you can read the horrow stories.

Good luck on your hunt and don't try to pinch pennies as you can only go on your "first" safari once.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
There are lots of great outfitters out there. I suggest you attend one of the larger hunting shows this winter. You will have a good chance opportunity to meet the PH and see if he is someone you want to spend time hunting with. My only advice is to book with an established company that has been around for several years. Expect to pay a little more for a quality outfit. There are lots of new safari companies that offer great hunts, but there are also lots that will not be in business for very long. Check lots of refrences, ask a lot of questions and be clear what your expectaions are. Africa offers great hunting and most of the safari companies provide awesome hunts.

Good luck

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

You have a private message!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggest you attend one of the larger hunting shows this winter.

John:

I have hunted with ROSCOE, drank with him, broke bread with the man, shared personal stories with the guy, and call him a friend. His recommendations are spot on.

If you can, get to DSC in January and meet-up with JudgeG and the rest of the AR-hoodlums at the party on saturday night. You will get more information that you need that weekend.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you consider Namibia for your first trip. I think you can find all the animals you want and in my opinion it is a little more like the Africa I'm sure you're expecting. Price is about the same too!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

If at all possible I'd hook up with the blokes from AR at the DSC as 577 NE suggested. You'll get more info and tips than you'll know what to do with.

It's a pity I live in bloody Australia..........too far to go Big Grin

And with regards to places to hunt, have you considered Namibia? Safer, cheaper and with great specimens of the species you are after.

Cheers mate.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
So far the biggest problem I am having with Namibia is that, on average, the flights that I am seeing are $2000 more than going to Johannesburg alone. I'm finding $1400 round trips to JSA, but $3300 round trip to Windhoek. Doesn't sound cheaper to me Frowner

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
So far the biggest problem I am having with Namibia is that, on average, the flights that I am seeing are $2000 more than going to Johannesburg alone. I'm finding $1400 round trips to JSA, but $3300 round trip to Windhoek. Doesn't sound cheaper to me Frowner
if that's the case, buy a ticket to jo'burg, then a separate ticket from joburg to windhoek. however, i think you will find that the travel agencies mentioned here can do a lot better than $3300. that is exorbitant

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13219 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Jdollar's advice is right on. I booked a flight to Johannesburg in June through Travelocity. It was a bit over $1,800 because it was peak of the season. (It's about $1,300 now.)

I then booked a South African Airways flight on the flysaa.com website from JNB to Windhoek for less than $400.

When you go to SAA's site, it will ask your country of origin. Check South Africa and get the price in rands.... your credit card company will sort it out.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that I agree with the advice you've gotten about waiting to talk with everyone you can at the SCI or DSC shows.

You also should sit in on the first safari seminars at either or both of them. I say this not because I'm the moderator at SCI's, but because everyone should know what to avoid before signing a contract.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You already have and will surely get much more info here on the board. For a first time trip - especially if your not accustomed to booking international travel - definitely go with one of the travel agencies like Gracey's. They will save you money and give you a great deal of peace of mind!!!

If you can get to one of the shows - there may be a local SCI chapter near you which has a "show" - by all means go and spend some time talking to the outfitters there. You may also want to join the local chapter and touch base with people in your area who have been to Africa. To me, the personal referrals are the most important. There are many, many places to hunt in RSA and Namibia - almost overwhelming when you start to look at them all.

Also, spend a few hours looking over the last couple years on the "Hunting Reports - Africa" section here at AR. We have many hunters who have posted very deatiled reports which give a good indication of their trip.

Think really hard about the taxidermy - lot's of opinions here but I had mine done in the U.S. and don't regret it. There have been a number of bad stories about mounts done in Africa (as well as a number of very positive ones) - very carefully research your taxidermist. It is the most enduring physical memory you'll have from your trip and you don't want it to be a bad one.

Good luck - planning and anticiption of the trip is an exciting endeavour!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Cabela's is a good place to look. They can arrange everything for you, the safari and the travel. They have very good deals on safaris in Namibia and South Africa. Try to book 18 months in advance.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/int...=home111507*right*oa

Also, if you can, attend an Safari Club International or Dallas Safari Club convention. You can talk to dozens of outfitters.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If your interested in a great plains game hunt in RSA, contact JJHack who posts here. His website is www.huntingadventures.net. Email: JJHack@huntingadventures.net. I've been on two hunts with him and he runs a first class operation. He'll also be onsite with you serving as a PH in camp. You won't be disappointed hunting with JJ. For your travel needs, contact Kathi Klines: Email: Kathi@wildtravel.net.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
for me the best time is now ha ha

no the best time is May June July

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I had a great Safari for plains game in RSA in July. We were completely satisfied with everything (except my inability to hit an eland in the right place.

The PH owns the company, some of the land is his families. His name is Nihan Engelbrecht and his website is www.huntersgame.co.za

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
John:
I'd skip RSA and go directly to Namibia.I hunted RSA and Namibia for PG. I wasn't impressed with RSA. The BS crap you have to go through with your guns in RSA is not worth it. Fly to Frankfurt or Munich then take Air Namibia directly to Windhoek. Less time in the air then going to Joburg. The gun entry permits in Namibia will take about 10 minutes. You don't have to pay someone $200 to lead you to the front of the line, like RSA.
We hunted on three farms and never saw a high fence or any other hunters. We killed four animals that made the Rowland Ward Record book.
We booked directly with the PH. No Outfitter. The Daily and Trophy fee was very reasonable. The PH will hunt anyway you want. At a bore hole, off the truck or walk all day. Bird shooting, Jackals and Baboons are free.
Get in touch with Hentie Van Heerden from VanHeerden Safaris.
Good luck!
we had a ball and plan on returning.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
I was using Ray Atkinson but had spousal issues (cancer stuff, done now but what a pain in the backside) so actually didnt get to go. Ray was very helpful and understanding when thinks fell apart.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-326-4120
www.atkinsonhunting.com
ray@atkinsonhunting.com

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote