New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sat phone experiences and recs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With trip to New Zealand, Ethiopia, British Columbia and Mexico - anyone have experience with the better choice of sat phones for these areas?

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 sat phones. One is an Iridium. The other is an Inmarsat

The Inmarsat worked great in Africa. However it would not work in Alaska last year. The Iridium worked great in Alaska.

I carried an Iriduim to NZ several years ago. As best I recall, it worked fine.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

The Inmarsat worked great in Africa. However it would not work in Alaska last year. The Iridium worked great in Alaska.

My Iridium works fine in Africa and Alaska both.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Iridium works fine in Africa, a few dropped calls but works fine. I have never been to the other locations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used my Iridium 9555 all over the world. No problems.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Africa, I would choose my Inmarsat over the Iridium every single time.

Oddly (at least to me) my Iridium seems to work far better north of the Arctic Circle than it does in Africa.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Iridium have been to Africa Argentina
Russia Kazakhstan Alaska worked fine but had to find
a hole in the canopy in the rain forest in
south America Would like to take it to
Pakistan if we could get the dam Visa

Posts: 74 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 24 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want my PH to have one in case someone gets bashed, but I don't want one.

My law firm wanted me to carry one of the firm's on last year's hunt in Tanzania. I refused.

I would be bugged by everything from clients wanting answers to inane questions that the other lawyers entrusted to the case are perfectly able to deal with, to my wife wanting to know how to unclog a drain. And none of them would recognize that the only time it is convenient to take calls (assuming I'm willing to skip my nap)is 1 to 3 p.m. and that's 6 to 8 a.m. Houston time. And there ain't much I can do about it from there.

No thanks. No sat phones. I'm on vacation.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

No matter which one you use, if you use it long enough you will get some problems.

Over the years, I have used phones from all the major players.

Iridium, Inmarsat, and Thuraya.

One year one will work like a charm, and the next year it will drive you up the wall.

Problems encountered with all three were dropped calls, and not being able to connect.

The worst part is this happens in the same areas when they worked without any problems.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I own a 9575 Iridium. Sometimes it will drop a call but it is usually because I am calling from an area either close to a building or even thick trees and lose line of sight on the satellite. From conversations with others, it seems like the other sat companies have this problem less often. That said, I believe Iridium is the ONLY sat company with 100% global coverage...including the poles. I would buy my 9575 again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to purchase one?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As some noted above, my experience is that the only true worldwide satphone is Iridium. I have had two in a row (both reconditioned and cheap) from Outfitter Satellite, altogether 10 years no problems. In fact my original one bought in 2002 still actually works but I dropped it and broke the screen. Yes certain phones work better in certain regions, but Iridium IMO is the only one that works everywhere, dropped calls happen on them all...

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to purchase one?

I got both of mine from Explorer Satellite in Miami.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote