THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What's the best .40 caliber for elephant?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best .40 caliber for elephant?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Taylor thought the 10.75 x 68 did not penetrate deep enough. But with modern 400 grain bullets and handloads that get velocity in the 2200 to 2400 fps range, it ought to be just right.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have considered the .404, and it might be the one I finally choose. Pm sent Johan! Thanks..

500 grains: is that velocity possible? Some reloading data I have figures 605 mps or appr. 1985 fps with the 400 grain bullet.. ??

To votes for the Woodleighs are registrated! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Anders

I believe around 2100 to 2200 fps is possible with the 10.75x68 with a 400 gr projectile. Maybe more.

Ray Atkinson may be able to say.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
jump

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan:

You have a PM.

Thank you.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Shumba,

I think 2250 fps is a perfect velocity. 2400 fps is fine, but it increases the chance of bullet failure.

No!

Not the speed is the main factor for bullet failures!

The twistrate and the bulletdesign is important!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of responses to bwanamrm and to minkman: I hunted the Balule Reserve with our own AR member Brad Rolston. I couldn't have asked for a more exciting hunt or experience, or a more capable PH especially in the few dangerous situations that we found ourselves in. The Balule Reserve is absolutely amazing as it is made up of a number of smaller reserves all bordering on Kruger, and with the fences between the Balule Reserve and Kruger down, you have all of the Big Five and hordes of plains game, small cats, wild dogs, etc. etc. moving back and forth on an almost daily basis between Kruger and the Reserve. It is truly free range hunting and you never know what your'e going to run into or when. One day while hunting Buffalo we came across a large female white Rhino with a month old calf. Needless to say, we skirted the area very carefully. Anyway, before I get ahead of myself and tell all of my stories, Minkman, I will be posting pictures and a "full length" story of my hunt with Brad in the near future. I am waiting for Brad to return to Stella, South Africa (his home) and for some of his digital photos so we can put together a nice piece for all of you to read and look at.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hell, Use Enough Gun...small world. I hunted with Big Boner Brad myself when I hunted that part of the world in 2002! Has he finished his .585 African Express yet?

Brad is a great guy and I talk to him about once a month. Sounds like you had a great hunt with him, look forward to your pictures! Are you one of his hunters out of Vegas? I know he was looking forward to your hunt!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIs a 300 rum adequate for medium african plains game

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a really good 180 gr bonded bullet or better yet, a 200 gr bullet, Hell yes.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the new tougher Woodleighs are premier bullets for buffalo, tough and penitrate very well indeed with the new bullets...I also used the 450 gr. SP Woodleigh in my .416 and it is an awesome buffalo bullet..

I have been shooting the 10.75x68 for about a year now..I sold my wonderful little Hoffman to LB-404 for his wife Susan..It should make an excellent big bore for a lady or young man as recoil is about like a .375 or less IMO...

As to velocity I can get an easy 2375 FPS with a 350 gr. Bridger Flat nose solid, and that is a elephant load...I get 2150 FPS with a 400 gr. Woodleigh, and that equals the 450-400 N.E., and I have a world of respect for the 450-400 and I would use it on any animal on this earth.

I see the 10.75x68 as an overlooked premier big game cartridge, and with the advent of Horneber brass, its a viable option for some, but not for others, its a gun nuts gun, for the guy that loves to tinker, and enjoys different calibers, and likes to experiment, otherwise the average hunter should just use a .416 Rem and be done with it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Bwanamrm, I am one of the hunters from Vegas that he talked to you about. And no, I don't think he has finished the .585 yet. He was still carrying his .500 Nitro Bolt Action on our hunt. I think that the .585 is still in the "work in progress" stage. His phone bill must be astronomical as he spends a lot of time on it to the States talking to all of us each month and week. A finer experienced PH, gentleman and friend you couldn't ask for, and his wife Monica is a real jewel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
460 weatherby hands down

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun,
Did you get your lion? I know Brad was salivating for the lion and ele hunt! He has been working to get me back over to hunt with him again and I will try to in the near future!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I got my lion. Estimated at 610 pounds. Huge, with a full ginger and black mane. The Lion was a free ranging lion that had been observed coming onto the Balule Reserve from Kruger and had been baited by Brad for the last 3 weeks. Shot just before dark from about 80 yards with the .375 severing the aorta above the heart and breaking the neck as he was waiting to feed on the fresh hippo shoulder and entrails that we had hung very early that morning. It's very nerve wracking, even with a .470 NE to walk those 80 yards in near darkness towards a downed lion. Two stones thrown at him from 40 yards confirmed his demise. But more of the story about him, the elephant, the cape buffalo, giraffe, warthog, etc. later when we post pictures and our "full length" story. You really do need to go back with him. He is one of the best and he will do everything in his power to get you the very best animals that he can.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congratulations. I must agree with you that Brad is "top notch" in my books too!

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should make an excellent big bore for a lady or young man as recoil is about like a .375 or less IMO...

How`s the effect compared to the .375? Is it a even more trustworthy big game round than the .375, you think.
I mean the big advantage for the .375 is the versatility (DG and plains game). There are better rounds for the big five. But I`m not a fan of recoil, but I would like something a bit bigger than .375. And I do like the odd calibers. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anders

If you can handle the 375 H&H, you can handle the 404J and 404 Short(10.75X68) since they don't kick as much as a 416 Rig or Rem.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.