New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Hunt's Were Booked at Reno?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just returned and thought it was one of the better shows recently, due to the reduced crowds.

2009 is too busy for me already but I did book a 2010 21 day Tanzania hunt and a Northern BC hunt for 2011. I also ordered a rifle.

What hunts did you book or are thinking of booking?

Is the current economy effecting you're hunting plans?

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want a Lion so bad I cannot sleep at night.....problem is I cannot afford it! I looked a numerous lion hunts but did not do anything.

Finishid paying for a trophy bull elephant hunt in Zim for 2010.

Booked a hunt to Cameroon in 2010.....I hope, sending my deposit today....

Watched one man buy 10 trophy elephant and 4 leopard for him alone to hunt on one hunt in Zim for this year.... This same man shot 14 trophy bulls in Zim last year in 14 days!

The economy is sure not helping my dreams of a Lion but it seems to have not put a dent in some peoples plans, as exhibited above.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
None by me, that's for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Confirmed our DG hunts in Zim for August with the folks at Chifuti. Booked a Columbia Blacktail hunt in Oregon for 2010 with my same hunting partner.

A friend had 3 cancellations for his Brown Bear operation this year, and another is down 50% on bookings from last year for Africa. 2009 looks very soft, and lots of hand wringing going on. Seems their 2010 hunts are strong, but people are hanging onto their money this year!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spain for ibex.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before SCI Reno I already booked a leopard and PG hunt with Karl for March of 2009

At SCI reno I booked a tuskless(X2) ele hunt with Buzz and Miles for 2010

I also damn near bought several rifles but I somehow managed to wrestle my credit card to the ground, get control of it------but it was a close one or two or three Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due to the Ethiopian Airline schedule, we met with Rich Elliott (Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris) and were able to move my husband's Mountain Nyala hunt up one day. Thanks Rich!!

Mongolia Argali hunting seems to be in huge demand, with deposits being placed for 2012.
My husband asked Juulchin (Mongolia Travel) if anyone cancels for 2010 to PLEASE contact him as a replacement. His hunt is booked for High Altai Argali for 2011 and there seems little chance anyone has any intention to cancel.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Bull elephant in June 2009. Dagestan Tur and Kuban Tur back to back in December 2009.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:

Watched one man buy 10 trophy elephant and 4 leopard for him alone to hunt on one hunt in Zim for this year.... This same man shot 14 trophy bulls in Zim last year in 14 days!

Am I the only one that finds this a bit gluttonous?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Booked my first safari. jumping
PG in RSA (Limpopo Prov) for me and my 18yo son June 2010. Man, I haven't been this fired up in LONG time. Not sure I can wait that long.

Working on a sheep hunt for 2011 too but didn't get it done at the show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane: This same man shot 14 trophy bulls in Zim last year in 14 days!
That is amazing! One trophy elephant a day for 14 days!!! Eeker

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Namibia for PG and Zambia for Buff & PG Sept. 2010. It will be our first trip.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by silwane: This same man shot 14 trophy bulls in Zim last year in 14 days!
That is amazing! One trophy elephant a day for 14 days!!! Eeker

Yes it is, hell I hunted my bull for 11 days before being successful. The owner of the company said he has 4 to 5 PH's out looking for elephant and once found they would call the client to hunt the found bull. On several occasions two bulls were shot the same day.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't go to Reno. In Dallas I Booked a 2011 Ele, Buffalo, Eland and Lechwe with Johan Calitz in Bots. This may be the last year they have the Okavango concessions. They expect they will be retired or converted at the end of the present term. I had this years Tz Ele hunt with Miombo Safaris moved from Sept. to July-Aug because of a cancellation, which should be better. Met Darrin Smits who wil be my PH this year and Mike Angelides of TBGS who will be my PH in 2010. I enjoyed the couple of days spent at the Dallas show.

Posts: 30 | Location: Casper Wyo | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
booked a Costa Rica fishing trip- waiting to see what cancellation opportunities will come up later in the year( missed out on the 1 auction hunt i wanted- got to the site 5 minutes too late!!)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

My PH friend, Nigel Theisen, told me about a person from the middle east coming to Zim and doing that. Is that the same fellow?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37759 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Wife and I booked our our first African Safari. We are going on a 10 day Buffalo Hunt in Zim with Chifuti Safaris in 2010

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Wife and I booked our our first African Safari. We are going on a 10 day Buffalo Hunt in Zim with Chifuti Safaris in 2010

Congrats! You will have a grand adventure! And to everyone else as well.

I have a couple of hunts I am ruminating on... either Moz or Mongolia in 2010. But I did put a deposit down on a Granite Mountain Arms .505 Gibbs. Can you bloody believe it? Thats what happens when you sit next to Mike Rhoden on the trip from Phoenix to Reno for an hour and a half! I should have changed seats when we introduced ourselves! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did put a deposit down on a Granite Mountain Arms .505 Gibbs

Then forget Mongolia. You'll need to try that thing out in Moz.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Russell: Congratulations on the .505 Gibbs. I thought that you already had all of the firepower that you needed for Africa! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Vaughan,
I do... it's just a damn addiction! LOL!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fifty cal. club, Russell. thumb

You won't be sorry (except briefly, for a few painful moments, after you have written the check!) Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13616 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't book a hunt as I have Moz set up for Sept. 09. Did get a chance to spend the evening with my PH and sorted out all the details and swapped lots of interesting stories with him. CZ had several of their Safari Classic rifles, not the Safari Magnum Classic, that had hand made stocks with outstanding wood. Stopped several times and picked up the two in 300 H & H but couldn't get them to wiggle a little on the price. The $2,995 sticker seemed just a little much. They said wait and the standard ones would be available in about two months. Like quickshot said it was real tough to keep the credit card from popping out!!

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Gibbs. I am looking forward hunting with mine in 2010. The preparation and planning for a upcoming hunt is half the fun.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Finalized details on a short hunt and family vacation (13 days total) in South Africa with Spear Safaris. We'd already figured out most of the logistics prior to the show, but it was good to mee the Dyasons and confirm everything we'd discussed by email.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I had a great time at SCI this year, definitely fewer people which made it nicer to talk with outfitters
& look around! I'm scheduled to hunt Moz this August 2009, so I really went to Reno to finalize
this & personally meet the PH's I'll be hunting with. However, I did a bit of dealing & ended up
putting a down payment on a 21 day Tanzania hunt, with the emphasis on elephant. Haven't been
on safari since Chete 2006, so I'm due.
Cheers, Jungleboy

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought Buzz Charlton's elephant DVD... does that count? Frowner

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You won't be sorry (except briefly, for a few painful moments, after you have written the check!)

Yep, that was thirty minutes after I signed the check and the "sales pitch" wore off... I thought to myself "what do I need with another safari rifle? I could have booked a hunt!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
Yes it is, hell I hunted my bull for 11 days before being successful. The owner of the company said he has 4 to 5 PH's out looking for elephant and once found they would call the client to hunt the found bull. On several occasions two bulls were shot the same day.

How do you "hunt" something when somebody else is keeping an eye on it after finding it for you?

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane: The owner of the company said he has 4 to 5 PH's out looking for elephant and once found they would call the client to hunt the found bull. On several occasions two bulls were shot the same day.
Do they charge extra for that? Add it to the daily rates? Gosh, you could do that, shoot the elephant in one day, then go Tiger fishing in the Zambezi for the next two weeks, and your legs wouldn't be tired from all the walking! Cool!!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Jungleboy, who'd you book with?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
SBT,

August 2009 Moz - Bahati Safaris

Sept 2010 Tanzania - Zuka Safaris

Talked with numerous references from both outfits, PH's were
really nice, experienced guys. Should be a fun adventure!

Cheers, JB

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote