THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Great day!!!!! I'm posting in the correct forum.(long)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great day!!!!! I'm posting in the correct forum.(long)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What a coincidence, I havent made a post on here is forever. Today I get a call that was "Unknown" on the caller I.D., At first the line was bad so I knew it was a Sat phone and what do you know!!!! one of my best friends In my entire life and PH Alan Vincent was on the othere end. We spoke for 37 minutes(a record for Alan on any phone call).

He is busy with out a day off until Nov 22, tough life huh?? I'd do almost anything to be in the bush from now until Nov 22. He was in the bush, some hyena went nuts and made enough noise I could hear it!!!!! No disrespect to Alan but that was the best part of the call.

My back is fair, i'm not in the gym yet, I almost went last week, I will be in the gym very soon.I was into bodybuilding for 14 years. Those days are gone so going back to the gym will be different and a emotional challenge because of my hadicapp(I had 5 back operations over a 18-24 month period of time). I will be fit to hunt by March, If Walter can do it so can I Smiler.

Alan and I spoke about hunting and we decidedd that were going to elephant hunting in Zim earily in the year sometime between mid-March to June is when he can fit in a hunt and I'm going to spend time with him at his house for a week or two just relaxing. He said he would orginaze a PAC elephant hunt(which is exactly what I want) and perhaps a pig or 2. I told him I dont have the endurance I had-we hunted hard a few times in the past, but something is better than nothing. I cant stand the fact I havent hunted in Africa in 4 or 5 years. I did shoot a squrill on the tree(it was on the trunk so the bullet had a solid backstop) with my 1911 45ACP a couple months back-right smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles at my house. I didnt miss Big Grin

I still get sad when I come here to AR because I cant hunt, I said this before, when I get fit and know 100% for sure I'm going hunting I will be back full time here at AR kicking up some dust.

My very best to everyone,

Eric P

Sorry for the long post, but who else got hear a hyena today??? Smiler

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great to hear from you Eric. I'm excited about your recovery and the prospect of a future elephant hunt!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Keep working towards your goal Eric, it is in sight, and perhaps some day very soon as you sit along the Zambezi relaxing after a day in the bush, this will all be a distant memory.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very glad to hear the news.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good news indeed!

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Eric:

So great to hear from you again!

I fell 15 years ago and broke my back (L-2) and fractured my pelvis. I couldn't walk at all for months, then used a walker for six, then a cane, on and off, for years.

My back still hurts... obviously not as badly as yours... I'm 64 in a few days... and I'm sitting in the Afton House awaiting my flight to Victoria Falls and then Chete.

My point is that a good P.H. will know just how to accomodate your problems and obviously, the Vincents are some of the greats.

You'll be frustrated some, but the joy of being in Africa and after elephants will make that pale.

Go to the gym. Don't try to be a hero and over do it. Find your own pace and get on back to where you love!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for the long post, but who else got hear a hyena today??? Smiler

I greeted my wife this morning and she barked back.lol

Posts: 24 | Location: Potgietersrus, Limpopo | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tjoks

She didnt bark at me last night when you where out.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What were you feeding her luan?

Posts: 24 | Location: Potgietersrus, Limpopo | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luan:
Tjoks

She didnt bark at me last night when you where out.

Luan

animal animal animal animal animal animal

Eric

If you mean you'll be spending some time in Nelspruit RSA please do let us know and I'm sure a bunch of us locals would like to meet up and buy you and the Vincents a beer or three! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luan And Steve you both lose
I made her bark before either of you got there Stumpy was up for IT!!!!!!! rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Eric,

It is so nice to see you posting again. Take it easy at the gym and listen to your trainer. We have all missed your hunting reports and general commentary. Welcome back!!!

Luan, Tjoks,

I thought only policemen said things like that to each other. rotflmo

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you here again Eric. I always enjoy your reads. Get yourself ready, Africa misses you.
All the best,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6820 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Eric,
Good to see you back on AR. Hope your recovery continues.
Best of luck,
Russ

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LLB Eric,
Squirrel hunting is one of my family traditions, so I can truly appreciate your recent adventure.
None of us are what we used to be, and nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Time to create the future!!!
Barking a squirrel with a 1911 45 ACP within the City limits of LA ... now that is some sport!!!
Not quite PAC elephant, but it is a step on the road to recovery.
Congratulations. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As someone who was away from hunting with my own medical problems I really do understand. It is excellent news that you are on the road to recovery sir! In may 2010 I made my first trip back after my run in with leukemia in 2008 & 2009. I am weaker than before of course, but still managed to hunt as soon as my docs cleared me to do so.

live strong, finish strong mate! Smiler
God Bless, You'll be hunting again soon.

warmest regards, Guy

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eric,

As long as you are able, please go and hunt. Take it easy on the hunt, and I am sure Alan can taylor an elephant hunt to suit you.

I have somehow damaged my back too a long time ago, but not nearly as bad as you.

A few years ago just before our hunt in Zimbabwe I could hardly move, especially in the morning. At night I had a hard time sleeping, as each time I turned it was agony.

My doctor told me to stay home, and cancell my hunt. When he saw the look on my face as I looked at him, he said "as usual, you are not going to listen to me. You are going to go. But please take it easy. No standing for long periods, and cut down on the day long walks"

We went to Chete.

In the morning I could not bend down to put my trousers on.

Instead I had to lay on my back to do that - to the great amusement of everyone's else!

I continued to do the exercises I was given, and managed to enjoy a full hunt without too much hassle.

When I got back and told my doctor that I was better, probably because of all the walking we did.

He said "Walking has nothing to do with it. You were doing something you enjoy very much. Which made what little brain you have turn off all the pain censors!"

Nothing like some encouragement from your doctor ha?

Alan called the other evening as well, and we are alooking forward to seeing him and Roy later next month.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best wishes, Eric.

One must never take counsel of one's fears - or the fears of others, even those close to us.

Fight through it, and win or die trying.

My sense is that you will win.

Again, best of luck. Something tells me that you will make it happen.

Nothing is written but what we choose to write.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13653 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Eric, and that is some great news! I am very glad to hear you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and know that its not a train! I know that Alan must be equally excited to start planning your next hunt together.

Health is such a fickle thing, so get out there as soon as you can and as often as you can my friend. I have been recently diagnosed with my own cross-to-bear (not life threatening, but potentially significantly life altering) so I'm not taking health for granted any more.

Stay in touch!

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone for such nice replies.

I have been getting better for about the past 24 months, I did have 2 months where I was slipping back into the hell of chronic back pain. i'm better now heading in the right direction but still have a long time to go.

I took my gun out the other day and wiped it down, it hasnt been wiped down in oh about 5 years-when ever the last time I went hunting, It still has the remains of a scorpion I squished with the rubber butt pad about 8 years ago, its just a light brown smuge, its amazing it hasnet wore or rubbed the whole way off, there is a noticable amount of wear and tear on the gun since I have carried it over 100 days in the bush in all conditions. Its a Dakota 375H&H with a real nice stock-witha small crack that isnt growing so i'm not worried about it. it has alot of senemental value. I have fired it about 800 to 1000 times and shot just over 200 head of game with it-not alot but enough that I trust the gun in any circumstance,

However I decided to make things a bit more challenging before this was just before I couldnt hunt due to back problems, I decided I wanted to be a elephant hunter in the PH's spot not the clients this came after 14 elephants and well over 100 day of chasing ele's, so I took my 450 Dakota and restocked it with a fiberglass stock, shortened the barrel, removed the fancy wrap around front site(It would catch the jess bush) and replaced it with a blade and had Roy Vincent file me a rear sight and started hunting elephants with open sights only, I shot 12 with the 375 and wanted to imporove my hunting skills. My goal was to be able to track them myself and have alan behind me as a back-up, I was just about to the point where I would be comfortable being infront on occasion. Hopeing that within a few more years to be able to awalys be the hunter not hte client so-to-speak. I shot one elephant with the 450 it dropped like a rock, noinsurance shot was necessary. That was the last time I fired the gun and I called the hunt off due to pain this was in 05 or 06, i think 05. I havent hunted since,

so I'm gonna need some practice-I may never be fit enough to become the hunter I wanted to become. Following a PH and the shooting stix gets old "here shoot this" was fun my first hunts but I wanted to and did become better at hunting than that. I hope I can do it.

thanks again to everyone for all the encouragment, and my best to ya'll I hope you all can hunt to your hearts content and enjoy life.

my best eric

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Eric. We're all rooting for you! If you want to get together sometime with those of us here on AR that are in Las Vegas, send me a PM. Big Grin