New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time to hunt Kigosi ?!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Want to hunt Buffalo/Sable Big Grin in Kigosi this year. When is the best time to hunt Confused !
Any advice or recomends are welcome ! clap

Thanks
Seloushunter cheers

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Based upon this thred https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/877100144 , I'd sure look at July.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beginning to mid-August. July can be still green and not much burning possible....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I consider the absolute best time to be September. This is when they do the "plainsgame collection safaris" 10 or 14-day plainsgame hunt on a 21-day license where hunters are looking for 2 or 3 Buffalo and a ton of different species (Roan, Sable, Sitatunga, Eland, Hippo, 3 Buffalo, Topi, Hartebeest, 2 different Reedbucks, etc.) At this time, visibility is best, the grass is burned off, and success on a lot of animals is normal.

In July they do Buffalo and limited plainsgame hunts.

I assume you asked because of the post I have about a discounted hunt in Kigosi for July 1-15.

At this time, success on the numerous animals is still the same, Buffalo, Waterbuck, Bohor Reedbuck, Topi, Hartebeest, Hyena etc. Is very good. Bushbuck might be difficult, but they are never easy here anyway.

I would not do a 10 or 14-day hunt on a 21-day license at this time because there are too many animals on license and the grass will hinder success on some of the key animals that are on a 21-day license.

It is worth noting that the grass issue in Kigosi is not the same issue as in the Selous.

I do not sell July Selous hunts.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Wendell. For the limited plains game hunt for the hunt he describes, I cannot imagine not shooting the plains game. The croc will be tough.

The place is crawling with waterbuck, topi, reedbuck, etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big are the Buffalos and Sable in Kigosi can i expect 43-44 Inch for Buffalo and Sable ?!
what is the average size ?!

r.
Seloushunter Cool

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Wow. a 44" buf and a 44" Sable in one trip would be something though I highly doubt it could be expected.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sure, a 44" Buff and Sable can be shot there, anbd they do shoot them each year. Not a reasonable expectation though.

They shoot big Sable and big Buff each year. I have told others that I believe the quality of the Buffalo to be quite a bit better than average. Not quite as good as the best areas of Masailand or Luangua Valley, but better than your Zambezi Valley Buff and far better than the average Selous Buff.

They shot 6 Buffalo between 42-46 last year. That is pretty good anywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I assure you that kigosi in july after a decent rainy season can be as bad as any place in the Selous in terms of moisture and dense vegetation. And the way the rains have been hitting the country so far we might be heading that way. We have just come out of 4 years of very poor rainfall and the swamps had basically dried up - you could drive from kigosi right into Moyowosi and vice versa something that hasn't been possible for as long as I can remember!

I understand that currently the swamp is still very low despite a lot of local rains but we are just at the start of the rainy season. A wet year can impact buffalo hunting there in july but the other game should be fine - topi, waterbuck, reedbuck, hartebeest, etc. this is MO.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Sure, a 44" Buff and Sable can be shot there, anbd they do shoot them each year. Not a reasonable expectation though.

They shoot big Sable and big Buff each year. I have told others that I believe the quality of the Buffalo to be quite a bit better than average. Not quite as good as the best areas of Masailand or Luangua Valley, but better than your Zambezi Valley Buff and far better than the average Selous Buff.

They shot 6 Buffalo between 42-46 last year. That is pretty good anywhere.

Just for my own knowledge, what are considered the best areas in Masailand and the Luanga Valley?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Wendell,

I assure you that kigosi in july after a decent rainy season can be as bad as any place in the Selous in terms of moisture and dense vegetation.

Bwana,

Right, but I never said that there wouldn't be grass, or that there wouldn't be water.

The difference is that success in Kigosi in July is not as "iffy" as it is in the Selous in July.

I have already stated that I won't sell a July Selous hunt. If Kigosi was like Selous in all aspects (namely, July success rates) then I wouldn't sell July hunts in Kigosi either.