Notify
Tools

CAPSTICK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen

CAPSTICK

I have read the correspondence regarding Peter Capstick on the Forum chatroom. Clearly guys like George Hoffman, Harry and Oldsarge are gentlemen of insight and grace. I do however have to set record straight regarding the nonsense Alf of Hoedspruit wrote.

Allow me to address the issues in the order they were raised.

1. Fiona Capstick did NOT even remotely try to sell the late Peter Capstick s rifles at the first SCI Africa Chapter Shoot (or ever since until the promulgation of the Firearms Control Act in 2001) and anybody intimating this cannot only be accused of making a mistake. At the time she had been invited to exhibit the rifles by the Chapter (the executive of which I served on at the time) as a side-show to add value to the shoot and that she graciously did without even asking for any compensation. I fail to comprehend how anybody can now even suggest that it was an attempt at selling them, or his motives for spreading such nonsense. Peter Capstick was the catalyst for renewed international interest in African hunting and an unparrallelled force in the promotion of Africa as a hunting destination. He is also dead and I think it poor style to be derogatory of a person that cannot state his own case;

2. Nothing special? It also included the very first (original) A-Square .470 Capstick with which Art Alphin and Capstick hunted buffalo! Why then did Fiona turn down all offers on the rifles on that day at prices that made my eyes water? (So by he way I know rifles and collect. I contribute firearm articles to Farmer s Weekly, African Sporting Gazette, Magnum, Big Bore Journal, African Hunter and the Collectors newsletter SAAACA, while I had been the founding editor of PHASA News. I also co-own the annual Aim Shooters Show and Gunrunner firearm couriers.)

3. Criticising SCI. Just as no man is perfect, neither is SCI (of which I am not a member but for whom I will act as Master of Ceremonies again this year). Although I hunt widely, regularly and intensively, I am no trophy hunter or record book chaser so on that score no body recording trophy size interests me - except insofar as they promote ethical hunting interests. I have to stand up for SCI here. It donated R 50,000 to support the battle to improve the gun-grabbing initial Firearms Control Bill. SCI s support enabled the local lobbyists like Alex Holmes, Martin Hood and myself in the NFF and SAGA to force the government through almost a 100 rewrites of the Bill, a much improved understanding by the State of the hunter s position and a vastly better situation than we started out with. For the record all our services were rendered without remuneration. When in the heyday of sanctions the world wanted to pull the rug from under the South African hunting industry, it was SCI that lobbied hard against it. It proved that South Africans of all political persuasions would be better off with hunting and trophy export continuing. This was more than any local hunting association achieved (and I belong to 4). SCI may not be the organisation for the man on the street, but it has done a heck of a lot for the preservation of African hunting and firearm ownership - probably more than any local hunting body!

4. Fiona Capstick was indeed visible at the first (and all subsequent) SCI dinners. A woman like Fiona cannot be overlooked. I cannot think of a dinner she attended where she had not made 100% donations that did not raise 5-figure sums to promote hunting, firearm ownership and public education - very often collecting the record sum for the event. I have always stood amazed at the amount of money she is prepared to put into the cause especially since she does not stand to gain anything extra from doing so and make donations that top the income charts time and time again. I am privy to most of what goes on in the South African hunting and shooting industries, and I go on record to state that I am unaware of any resentment against Fiona Capstick in the industry's top echeleon. I am however aware that the same people that denounce Hemmingway, Taylor and Ruark, also denounce the Capsticks. Capstick was a generous man that dedicated his life to the industry to the best of his abilities and achieved more than most in the process. It reflects more on his critics than on him, and to refer to him who made his home here and became a force promiting it as a hunting destination as an alien, is about as logical as refering to the English speaking community in South Africa as aliens.

5 The diplomat who & were (was?) part of the problem for whites in Africa was His Excellency, Jacques Ehoumba, Ambassador of Gabon, who also raised a 5-figure sum for SCI with his donations that night. He is an avid hunter and firearm supporter. At the time Fiona Capstick was assisting SCI (at her own expense) to convince the Gabonese government through the Ambassador to re-open hunting in Gabon. This was a genuine, costly and immense effort on her behalf and the lack of appreciation can only be resented. To refer to Mr Ehoumba as part of the problem is incorrect, a serious blunder and an idiotic remark that will most certainly return to haunt our industry. The industry applauded Fiona for her unselfish work, and it still does. Of course there will be blinkered dissidents such as our bitter friend, but in final analysis their dissent only enhances the validity and underwrites the value of the industry s direction.

6. PCH was viewed in a very dim light by the broader SA Hunting fraternity! And he had a reputation for being a B-Shitter amongst locals! Oh my word! These days it seems that everybody who is somebody has to be denounced as a bullshitter by the nobody's. Anybody incapable or unwilling to acknowledge PHC's contribution to the local hunting industry loud and clear is ungrateful and ignorant. Allow me to extend this one challenge: Bring me those that knew Capstick personally that considered him a bullshitter. Let me tell you the truth Capstick had his shortcomings, but he is so respected to this day that his home serves as meeting place for the great African names still alive - where I have been privileged to meet them! PHC already is part of the great African hunting history.

7. (Fiona s) taking over the show was met with open hostility by the rank and file . Alf does not represent the rank and file. For the record. General Mikhail Kalashnikov was also present at the dinner and in my view as MC, he actually stole the show. Now Fiona is some woman. She was a Major in Military Intelligence doing a Colonel's job - one of the top ranking females in a fighting army's intelligence corps. She speaks several European languages fluently and is a registered Interpreter of the High Court of South Africa. She is a successful published author in her own right, and an Africana collector of note. She holds decorations from governments and she is the most remarkable woman I have come across. She is a beautiful, talented, intellectual, enthusiastic, dedicated and generous ambassador for the hunting world. You cannot miss her stylish and gracious presence and one has to forgive anyone who has infested your site with nonsense for resenting the presence of somebody so considerably out of his league. She is admired by those not intimidated by her competence, enthusiasm and dedication.

8. Back to other contributors. The rifles. There is no rifle Capstick possessed at the time of his death in any gunshop in New Mexico or anywhere in the world for that matter. Fiona has never considered selling them until now. I have hunted with Capsticks rifles, and I maintained them. The serial number on Capstick s pre 64 M-70 in .375 H&H commences with a 4 and ends with a 9, and it has no other numbers than threes and zeros in between. The new gun-grabbing legislation (Firearms Control Act) will not enable Fiona to retain her late husband s rifles, and rather than forfeiting them for destruction, she at last donated them to the pro-hunting/gun cause in the US where they can raise money for good causes. Fiona could have sold the rifles for her own, exclusive profit had she wanted to. To attempt making a mockery of her generosity to the industry is ungrateful, short-sighted and uncalled for. The new legislation is the only reason for the sale of the firearms and the first time she has ever considered it seriously. PHC passed away on 13 March 1996. The fact that the first Capstick rifle will only go on auction outside South Africa 7 years later refutes the nonsense Alf wrote.

9. Alf makes much of SCI s alleged political blunder of not having local black politicians at the first dinner, but also states his resentment (and claims to speak for many) regarding the presence of Mr Ehoumba! That is quaint, contradictory and hypocrytical.

10. For the record. I know what some people are busy bidding to return the Capstick rifles to Africa, and you better go in seriously if you want to own a piece of history. You want to own a Capstick rifle? Be prepared to make a very, very fair cough at owning these precious items. A Springfield M-1903 is considered common and cheap. Try and buy Theodore Roosevelt's!

11. Capstick s books are selling as never before. Fiona cannot influence that. Even so she spends thousands of dollars making donations. She continues to sponsor articles, prizes, awards. She writes without remuneration for the cause, she researches and disseminates on the same basis. Backing the industry cost Fiona thousands she cannot recuperate, nor need expend. Is that the legacy of a bullshitter? If it is I wish there were more of them - especially in Hoedspruit.

12. May I applaud most of you on this site, but may I suggest that a few exceptions at least learn to restrain their rampant imaginations and ape good manners.

Pierre van der Walt

Posts: 79 | Location: Randburg | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here is a link to the original post on the Capstick Rifle.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004863#000000

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pierre, Thank you very much for setting the record stright.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
>>>>>>>>RIGHT, PIERRE!<<<<<<<<<<<<< [Cool]

[ 11-02-2002, 18:23: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent defense of Mr Capsticks reputation. Certainly nothing is gained by speaking ill of the dead, except exhibiting ones lack of character.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Well said, Sir!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pierre,

That was one of the best-written posts I've seen on this board. Facts and experience to back up your claims. Good Job..!!

PHC is what sparked the fire in me to go to Africa and make a career of it.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Well done sir!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A gentleman has spoken.
Well said Sir.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<Harry>
posted
http://www.biggame.org/home.html
This is where you can find all kinds of goodies about the upcoming convention and the Capstick rifle.
If you wish a color brochure about the rifle then ask DSC to send you one in the mail.
Might turn out to be a collectors item in the future.
Just so you will know...at the last DSC meeting it was announced that nearly all booth spaces were sold already. That will be over 600 exhibitors. It you have time you want to come join us and if nothing else you will get to meet in person many of the people that post here.
It is always a good time, a great convention and if you are like me...your credit card will have a dent in it before you leave.
Last year I got out of my booth long enough to buy a painting of some elephants that I could not live with out and a new "Pot Belly" deer blind.
I have been enjoying the painting all year and will be in the new blind over Thanksgiving.
Jan 9 thru 12 at the Dallas Market Hall on Stemmons Freeway. [Smile]

<Harry>
posted
Ok...Alf ...Pierre....both of you have had your say in this matter. None of the rest of us were there at any of those functions so that is all water under the bridge. Your recollections and impressions are yours.
In all of this...the real reason for the selling of the Capstick rifle seems to have been lost.
A well made rifle, with historical value, will be auctioned off at the Dallas Safari Club Convention. The monies will be spent educating youth on gun safety plus the joys of hunting and the outdoors. All of us being shooters and / or hunters...and growing longer in the tooth each day...will benefit from this project in the long run.
A good rifle from a man of note will be sold to further the cause of helping bring on tomorrows safe shooter and hunter. What the hell else could you want for your legacy?

[ 11-02-2002, 23:05: Message edited by: Harry ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave it to Mims to put things in perspective, as to the other I could care less, not my ballgame..but I sure have enjoyed Capsticks books, all of them. He always spoke to me with respect and presented himself as a gentleman...other than that I know little of the facts.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Regardless of one's opinion of Peter Hathaway Capstick,or his books, all hunters of African game owe him a debt, for the hunting we have there today. As Ray says, he was a gentleman in his manner. I only wish I had the funds to buy his rifle to go with my signed collection of his books,and I liked the man!

Pay no attention PHC, rest, and listen to the sounds of Africa!

[ 11-03-2002, 03:24: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mac. I have no personal knowledge of the man other than the writings that have inspired me to both hunt Africa and write the tale. I'm content to leave it at that, but it would be nice to have the funds for the rifle too.

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Quite honestly, I'm not sure that the "absolute truth" about PHC is important or needs to be reiterated here, and I'm not interested in all of the gory, ugly little details of his life.

For me, it's enough to know that he was a great writer, and that he instilled in a lot of people a fascination and thirst for the real, wild Africa that will never be quenched. We all owe him a lot for that contribution. He gave us all a whole lot more than we'd ever be able to give back to him, even if he would have lived for another forty years.

AD

<Don Martin29>
posted
Capstick is one of our hero's and we should be careful not to try to climb higher by trampeling on anothers legend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had always hunted growing up, but PHC instilled in me the desire to hunt for a living. Consequently, I became an apprentice PH after graduating from engineering school and, through this, met my wife. I still enjoy rereading all of his books to this day.

Posts: 26 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 05 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf

Sorry I am late in responding. I agree with Harry that the Capstick saga apart from the rifles) should be closed. I will not touch upon it again. Thank you for bringing me up to scratch from your side. It is appreciated.

Although not an SCI member at present, I am very partial to SCI. One of SCI’s Vice Presidents, Mike Simpson, did mention on Saturday’s dinner that SCI is adopting a new approach to conservation. It intends interacting actively and directly with governments / agencies tasked with conservation in Africa. As I understand Mike, this interaction will encompass hands-on involvement in research projects, scientific and technical support, joint conservation projects etc. I think it is an exciting development, and if SCI succeeds in this (which I believe it will), then all hunters (irrespective of SCI membership) will tangibly benefit from it. It may of course happen that only the interests of trophy hunters will be promoted, but if SCI takes that course (which I doubt it will), it will shoot itself in the foot.

I know I am going to be crucified for saying this, but I must confess that most English made bolt-action rifles are plain bloody ugly to me at best. Bland walnut stained reddish, awkward checkering styles, etc. Vastly better looking bolt action rifles are build right here in SA today, but in the USA in particular. However, these English rifles were well made, are reliable (with rare exceptions), and work as well as the best churned out by modern custom gunshops. For hunting that counts. Looks don’t kill. PHC's rifles are well-made on excellent designs, reliable and work - even if not particularly beautiful. They were the working rifles of an unassuming man that had no desire to show off. He used them as working hunting tools, not showpieces and that probably explains why they are ordinary looking but excellently performing.

Pierre.

Posts: 79 | Location: Randburg | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote