Find
Notify
Tools

Into the Thorns by Wayne Grant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Had the pleasure of meeting two African hunters Fred and Julia Pa. residents at the eastern chapter wild sheep foundation. I asked who he hunted with and he told me Wayne Grant and I said "Into the Thorns"? Yes, and he answered me I am in the first chapter "Ambush Alley" What a pleasure to talk to another hunter couple.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Very much enjoyed the book.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Brilliant, great writer and very fine hunter. A classic.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite hunting book! I've read the book three times, and am currently pinching pennies to try and book a hunt with Wayne.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great read on leopard hunting. Wayne really knows his stuff and its full of pics of massive cats.

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Totally agree - Few better writers, even fewer better cat men.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the middle of the book now; looking forward to my first leopard hunt in October.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Totally agree - Few better writers, even fewer better cat men.

Helluva nice guy too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne is an old mate and colleague, and even so I was gobsmacked by the quality of the writing in his book. So much more than the usual annals of some PH...read it if you can, one of the best books out there by a contemporary hunter and it will stand the test of time.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I met Wayne for the first time in Vic Falls, after shooting my monster leopard over his own kill-a female leopard, and had a very pleasant conversation with Wayne about my experience. I also have his autographed book and consider it the definitive written word on hunting leopard, along with Lou Hallamore's "Chui". Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered this book last evening after reading this post. I've been talking to Chifuti Safaris about a leopard hunt in June 2015, so I figured I needed to read this book. I'm hoping to take along my grandson - he will be 12 then - & let him shoot the bait animals.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Met him in Zimbabwe in 2002--nice fellow.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does wayne have a web site we can visit? Thinking on another leopard in the future and this will be my guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great book!

Would love to hear from anyone having hunted with Wayne recently on what the area is like right now.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Wayne signed my book.........

"To my friend Neil, who has outwitted the giant cats of the Matobo. We've had a special time in some of the last wild places, and those are memories we'll have forever. All the best my mate, Wayne"

The book brings back memories of some of our great hunting times over the years. Wayne is a fine man, a fine author, and above all, a fine friend.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Frank - If your Grandson can't make it will you take me instead? I'll even help you get a bigger Antelope in Wyoming this year!! Roll Eyes

Trying to pry this book away from a friend just for a read. Soooo far no luck. He always mentions something about me buying my own copy? Confused

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Just ordered this book last evening after reading this post. I've been talking to Chifuti Safaris about a leopard hunt in June 2015, so I figured I needed to read this book. I'm hoping to take along my grandson - he will be 12 then - & let him shoot the bait animals.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My partner Tim said it was an excellent read and I plan to get a copy.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
That book has been out for a while now...suprised most of this group has not read it years ago.

I was in the Chenji Camp (Rosenfels old Camp) in Chewore South with Wayne for several nights in 2006 (Back in the day when the US economy was strong). I believe he was writing the book then or had just finished. We talked about leopard hunting in depth over the fire every night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Book was printed I believe in 2007.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finished reading the book a couple of months ago, after a leopard hunt in that general area last Spring. It is a great read. One of the ph's Wayne Grant mentions was Bruce Cronje, who worked with Wayne years ago. I met Bruce in 2010 when I was in the Omay. He's currently working with Martin Pieters & is a great cat man himself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm:

I've got a stack of books 3 feet high in the "to read" stack. The "to buy" stack would be even taller. Hard to get to them all.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Read a bit of it while visiting my friend Pepe Sodiro and local PH and Weatherby nominee ,Iwas an hour reading and ITS REALLY GOOD BOOK ,i have to find one soon .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6381 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I got mine a few years ago from trophy room books.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophy room books had them in their booth at SCI I know.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by ndorobo1:
I'm pretty sure I got mine a few years ago from trophy room books.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote