New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planning a Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been putting some time into documenting all that has gone into my current and last Safari. Here is my list so far. Any thoughts on stuff I have missed?

<<Edit: this pasted really badly! I will have to redo my list in a post freindly format. I will edit this and repost!>>

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I have to go through all of that, I have done my last safari!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets try this again

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
If I have to go through all of that, I have done my last safari!

465H&H

I think you have been boiling the frog...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob. Well done ! A very helpful list.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob H:
Been putting some time into documenting all that has gone into my current and last Safari. Here is my list so far. Any thoughts on stuff I have missed?

<<Edit: this pasted really badly! I will have to redo my list in a post freindly format. I will edit this and repost!>>

Holy cow!! Are you a Scorpio?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. Anal retentive middle child!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Good Heavens!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob H:
Nope. Anal retentive middle child!

Sheldon wanna-be

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, well done, most dontvprep as well as you do but we could probably all learn something

Posts: 70 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
One of my best safaris was when I decided to go on a Thursday and flew to Vic Falls on the following Sunday (and that's after hunting in South Carolina on Friday and Saturday).

That said, I, too, think that even those of us who don't make an appointment with ourselves to take a dump should look at the list and we'd probably learn something that would be angst relieving and keep us from forgetting something.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7698 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my list for my last hunt in RSA was easy. got off plane in joberg to meet my friend Org. Org invited me to his place since i was traveling to kenya and he knew i would need a day or two to rest. once at his place he said lets go get you a kudu. OK no problem it's july i have a coat! he hands me his 06 and off we go ten days later i get on plan to kenya. list of items needed for hunt bewildered1.coat 2. good friend jumping jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
my list for my last hunt in RSA was easy. got off plane in joberg to meet my friend Org. Org invited me to his place since i was traveling to kenya and he knew i would need a day or two to rest. once at his place he said lets go get you a kudu. OK no problem it's july i have a coat! he hands me his 06 and off we go ten days later i get on plan to kenya. list of items needed for hunt bewildered1.coat 2. good friend jumping jumping

Er! shoes, socks, leg, ........... Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Basic organisation is always a good thing. Prior planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance, and all that.

However, be sure to leave your list on the hall table because once you step out of the door you need to kick the anal habit and embrace the joy of improvisation.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Really? I mean ... REALLY!!??

Here is my process and list:

What do I want to hunt, with whom, and when.

Buy airline ticket and practice with guns.

Then pack the following: Airline ticket, gun, ammo, flashlight, knife, 2 days of hunting clothes and wear another day's worth, passport and 4457's, bino's, snacks for the airplane, Ipod to listen to on plane, soft gun cases, toiletries, and camera. Let's go hunting!! Did I forget anything? Well, if it wasn't important enough to make the list, it probably isn't needed until I get back home. After all, isn't that the point of going in the first place?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Really? I mean ... REALLY!!??

Here is my process and list:

What do I want to hunt, with whom, and when.

Buy airline ticket and practice with guns.

Then pack the following: Airline ticket, gun, ammo, flashlight, knife, 2 days of hunting clothes and wear another day's worth, passport and 4457's, bino's, snacks for the airplane, Ipod to listen to on plane, soft gun cases, toiletries, and camera. Let's go hunting!! Did I forget anything? Well, if it wasn't important enough to make the list, it probably isn't needed until I get back home. After all, isn't that the point of going in the first place?

Looks to me as though your list is 90% of my list. I just spell it out in more detail.

If you have the benefit of having hunted Africa before, then sure-simple process. But if you have never done it before, I think just about everthing on this list is done before you go. it might be a 30 second check off, but you probably do it.

Try to document explicit directions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sometime. You will end up with a 2 page document!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
scriptus,
I always have my leg no need to pack it i just wear it only one shoe is required since the left foot feels nothing anyway that also applies for shoes rotflmo rotflmo

Todd, your list looks complete to me no extra junk you don't need like wire ties and duct tape Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last hunt, I booked on about 15th of Sept and was in Zambia hunting on the 29th of Sept. I try to keep all my shit together so I can go at a few days notice. Late season hunts on short notice can be great.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time I got a phone call from Zimbabwe telling me about a rogue elephant needing sorting out. 7 days later I killed him. Spent the next 9 days hunting other things, drinking Castle and enjoying Zim. This all before MAD BOB began killing my friends.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I just read over everything you posted. I honestly couldn't think of a thing you've missed. I am curious though why you would take chronograph and ballistic info with you. There is certainly no reason not to but I can't figure out why you would. Wouldn't that info be burned into your brain if your doing much shooting which I know you are?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, now you know why I have been driving you nuts over the past year and a half!

RE: ballistic info, I have a horrible memory. I rely on lists (as you can see by this post) and I totally geek out on Excel. If I don't have the data with me, I'll probalby forget it. I make it a habit to have this info with me for any hunt I do. I rarely reference it, but it is nice to have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

You have not driven me nuts as I was already there before we met.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Well crap! I did forget the duct tape! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
RE: ballistic info, I have a horrible memory. I rely on lists (as you can see by this post) and I totally geek out on Excel. If I don't have the data with me, I'll probalby forget it. I make it a habit to have this info with me for any hunt I do. I rarely reference it, but it is nice to have.

Reminds me of a story:

Client shows up for a hunt in Tanzania. PH drives him out of camp to the range to check zero on his 375 H&H.

PH: "At what range have you sighted in your three seven five?'

Client: "100 yards, dead on."

"Excellent"

Client takes a few shots and PH notices something on the client's rifle.

"What is that stuck to your stock?"

"Oh, it's my hold-overs for 200 and 300 yards."

"Hold-overs?"

"Yes, I have a bad memory and need to have them in front of me."

"You cannot remember two numbers?"

"I shoot a lot of different calibers so they all get mixed up in my head. I have a spreadsheet in Excel.."

"Spreadsheet?....Excel?"

"Yes, it's a computer program that..."

"Stand up."

"What?"

"Stand up."

Client lays his rifle on the table and stands up.

"I am going to show you an old trick to remember the hold-overs for your three seven five...one that you will never forget."

"Ok, sounds good."

"Take off your shoes, socks and pants."

"What?!"

"Take off your shoes, socks and pants. No client of mine is going to walk around looking at his stock before making a shot. Sometimes you only get a few seconds to shoot and I want you looking through your scope, not at your stock."

Client takes off his shoes, socks and pants.

"Now, take off your underpants."

Client is understandably nervous and hesitates.

"Now!"

"OK, OK!"

Client takes off his underpants and stands there staring at the PH.

"Now, look down and tell me what you see."

"What!?"

"WHAT DO YOU SEE!"

"Umm, the ground, umm leaves...I don't understand what you are talking about."

"I am teaching you your holdovers! Now, look down and tell me what you can see on YOU!"

"What??"

"NOW!! Quickly look down and tell me what you can see on YOU!!!"

'Ummm...ummmm.ummm....six inches and two feet?"

"Excellent...now you know your holdovers....put your pants back on and get back into the bakkie..."

On a serious note, what's that saying, "Chance favors the prepared mind." Can also apply to hunters as well...that's a good list Rob...