Shooting sticks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What shooting sticks do you use? Reccommendations please thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bog Pod! Sturdy and stable.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a set out of bamboo. I use them quite a bit, only problem is the inner tube will start to slip if you leave them in the weather, but they were literally free.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Bog Pod! Sturdy and stable.

+1

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I've got the Long Grass sticks. They work well for me.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I've made my own out of bamboo and a vacuum cleaner belt. I also own a set from Long Grass. Both work like a charm. My PH used a Bog Pod but it kept "slipping" and only came into its own for seated shooting.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bog Pods work well, you have to fully tighten them to suit your standing height before starting your stalk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need to collapse and transport your sticks or would just like top quality I would suggest African Sporting Creations. Attached is an item by Chuck Hawks.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/asc_shooting_sticks.htm

Good shooting.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mono pods are about worthless
Bipods are steady side to side but not front to back.
Tripods are the only way to go. Shooting sticks look "Africa" but I use a Bog Pod as it is quickly adjustable and the top allows large diameter double riles to be used easily.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Mono pods are about worthless
Bipods are steady side to side but not front to back.
Tripods are the only way to go. Shooting sticks look "Africa" but I use a Bog Pod as it is quickly adjustable and the top allows large diameter double riles to be used easily.
Cal

I agree monopods are pretty worthless.

I use a Bog Pod standing bipod here in the states, but use whatever is available in Africa. Yes, tripods are steadier, but if you can't hit a ten inch circle at 200 yards standing with a Bog Pod bipod, you need to practice.

I have seen more and more tripods with the rifle cradle complete with retaining strap. For heaven's sake, how many animals are going to stand around waiting for you to get into that abomination? Useful for the leopard blind maybe, but no place in the field while stalking.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

I have not been to Africa yet.

I made up the green tomato stake version for my 416 Rigby & after 6 or 7 sessions at the range I noticed that they were flexing a bit & not helping my stability & accuracy.

I then got the broom handles from the local store and they are very solid. I am shooting a lot better - no flyers, no flexing & wobbling when holding really tight etc. It is easier to hold firm and stable with a heavy recoiling caliber.

Most of the commercial models are either not available locally or cost $200!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bamboo works well

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the lightweight sticks from Africa Sporting Creations, as others have mentioned. They work very well.

The carbon fiber tripods from Ultrec Engineering are also very nice.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones the PH puts in front of me.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I have a pair from long grass safaris, about 100 bucks. I don't take them with me. they are tripods and very similar to what the Phs have had when I am hunting. They are great to practice off to put yourself in a real hunting/shooting situation. I also use them to hunt while stalking wild pigs or shorten ,them by disconnecting the bottoms for shooting out of a ground blind. I have been very pleased with them

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to join the chorus and recommend the Bog Pod. You can easily travel with them and there are a multitude of accessories that make them a very versatile tool.

There are those who say that you can always use whatever sticks the PH has which is true. However I have seen quite a few pairs that have made me glad that I brought my own.

What really makes the Bog Pod stand out is the ability to add different attachments to suit different needs. I have an extra large U shaped rest for my double rifle, a platform type rest that is great for varmiting, and a swivel head for cameras and spotting scopes.

I think being very familiar with your own personal sticks is one of the keys for success when shooting game.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote