Find
Notify
Tools

How's this rhino?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted
Just got back from taking my kids to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center over in Glenn Rose, Texas. It’s an 1,800 acre ranch that breeds “endangered species.” While I will give the center kudos for helping reintroduce both red and Mexican wolves back into the wild I have to say that the rest of their programs are misleading to say the least. According to the center white rhinos, black rhinos, and cheetahs are on the verge of extinction. Where? In the rest of Texas?

Anyway thought I’d post a few shots of their rhinos.

Is this one a shooter?

What about this guy? I think his horn has character.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
looked at your website. What's the deal with the gangster picture?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'd give the first one some more time. As to the second one, well, his horn appears to be freakish and/or damaged. So, no to the both of them, although some might shoot the first, I am sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gayne it looks like that first one might be a female, just from structure of it's horns. Either way he or she is still a little young...especially circumference-wise. For $50-60K (or whatever current trophy fee is) you wanna get your money's worth. There are better one's for sure than that one, but it's on it's way to some real nice horns.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ooked at your website. What's the deal with the gangster picture?

I did a "test" for the now defunct "Southern Sporting Journal" magazine on what you could do with a pair of Meopta binos when you weren't using them as binos. That pic ran next to the question,"Could they be worn as bling?" I think the picture pretty much answers that at least I couldn't.

As for the rhinos, I think all of them were pretty young as they were born at the center.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
In 20 some odd years of living in Central Texas, I don't remember ever going to Fossil Rim and now I know why: their admission prices take up 4 PAGES of pdf! I'm sure that has the locals scratching their heads.
Chet

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
My daughter absolutely loves Fossil Rim, expecially when the giraffe sticks his/her head through the sunroof for a snack!!

Not so sure about their efforts there though, and they certainly mis-state the facts regarding wildlife today, which is, unfortunately, consistent with several other zoos I've visited.

On a humorous note, my wife and daughter visited there a few years ago and came home with the driver's side door caved in on our new Denali (not the funny part), the result of an aggressive Aoudad ram. Well, that fall I was lucky to shoot a nice ram and my daughter's now convinced it's the "naughty" Aoudad from Fossil Rim that's now hanging in my office (the funny part).

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we went they said not to feed the sable as they had been smashing into cars as of late. They and aoudad could sure do the damage

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
In probably 15 trips over the years I have never had a sable approach the vehicle, and since I've been wanting a sable trophy for years and failed to get one on my last trip to Africa I tend to stop and drool every time I'm there. Maybe I'm jinxed Frowner???

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanderhoef:
came home with the driver's side door caved in on our new Denali (not the funny part), the result of an aggressive Aoudad ram.

Aoudad are quite pushy! I remember a very young lamb beating the snot out of the door of the vehicle close to the YO headquarters. I think he was a pet. He was angry that we didn't have anything for him to eat.

Ever tried to catch a baby Aoudad? I did. That was about 7 lbs of pure anger! I never would have guessed a little lamb could be so powerful.

They just get stronger as they get older.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Their aggressiveness must have something to do with becoming semi-domesticated, I'd imagine. They're usually fairly timid and I've seen whitetails run them off from a feeder, as I'm sure you have too.

I'm sure a baby Aoudad would be a handful and I'm laughing just thinking about it rotflmo

Tried to catch a bear cub once!! Thoroughly kicked my butt... The things we did when we were young and immortal Roll Eyes

Theodore Roosevelt