New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Hunting shops in Windhoek
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am off to Windhoek on Wednesday. I need some new shorts and decent safari type shirts. Is there a good hunting / safari type shop in Windhoek. Running out of time here.

Not going hunting this time - family holiday instead - 4x4 hire car with camping gear and we will follow our nose.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but as you likely know, Windhoek is a very friendly city and will help you.

Your are off to a great trip. Are you thinking of going to the Etosha area for a while?
My wife and I spent two weeks on a non hunting trip in Namibia. We loved it. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Rosenthal Guns. If they don't have what you want, I'm sure they will direct you.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holtz Safari Land has probably the best selection of cloths/kit in Windhoek. No guns or ammo, just cloths, boots, hats, knives etc.

It's downtown in the central business area on Independence Ave, near the Kalahari Sands Hotel.

Guns/Ammo would be Rosenthal's for ammo etc. There is a shop in the AGRA center and also a place I can't think of the name now on Sam Najomo Ave. I don't know if Ahern's Guns is back open or not.

If it's just clothing, belts, hats, boots etc. Holtz is the best in town. Every driver knows where it is at and just down the escalator is a grocery store where you can get pretty much anything you want. Also a liqueur store there and also another one in that same area.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the other side on Independence Avenue from the Kalahari Sands is a large craft/ flea market waiting to suck $$$ out of your pocket, they have some pretty cool items.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Ahrens Gun Shop did not reopen after the owner's death. So Rosenthal has picked up a lot of the lines they were carrying. The Outdoor Centre in the Metro shopping center has the biggest selection of long guns and reloading gear and has a good selection of camping gear. Also the Sportsmans Warehouse in the Grove Mall has a lot of camping and outdoor related items, the Safari Den in the Auas Valley shopping mall is also good for guns and gear, and CYMOT has everything other than hunting gear for off roading and camping. All are easy to find.

Also, make sure you bring plenty of cold weather gear. It has been ridiculously cold in Windhoek over the past few weeks.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always found Holtz to be very good for all clothing and footwear.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your advice. What are the regional towns like these days - otiwarongo, outjo etc. Much more than filing station and butcher / groceries?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is pretty accurate. But Outjo is growing up quickly with a new Spar and the new Bakery - both excellent. The shops are tourist fodder so not much to get excited about.

Outjo is always a good fueling point before heading further North.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Otjiwarongo, the Kameldorn is at a relatively new location and a very fine place to stop for lunch. See location/details on Trip Advisor.

In Outjo, just on the main road (C38) almost on the north end of town is Café Bakerei, also a decent place for lunch, sandwiches, breads.

Ernst Holz there in what was the Kalahari Sands (now Avani Hotel) arcade is the place to get inexpensive or even expensive safari clothing. They had Courteney boots last time I was there. For the highest possible end go into Katerina Karl which is just a little further on the main drag past Wecke and Voights (where you get your Cuban cigars). Pack your black American Express card!

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We bought some things at Holtz. They hemmed the pants for me and were done by the time I had had a cup of coffee next door. Interesting place, too.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thanks Gentlemen. Popped into Holtz and Bushwakers and Joes steakhouse. Easy drive to Etosha- Namibia is really going places. My exeperiebce of Africa was Namibia 15 years ago and prior to that Malawi, Zim and Zam to the mid 1990’s.

Otjawarongo slightly blew my mind. The superspar supermarket, better than anything we have in Edinburgh and full of locals.

And where are all the wobbly wheeled trucks and old pickups. And everywhere is clean. Much cleaner than Scotland - no litter, or so little than when you do see a can it really stands out. I like this place.

First day in Etosha - delights of seeing my daughter seeing elephants and cheetah on a kill with her three cubs. Doesn’t get much better. Downside of game reserve is having to stay in vehicle, but walking in Bush is later in trip.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
On your way out of Etosha make sure to stop at the Bakkery in Outjo and order their Apple Strudel. It’s the best I’ve ever had.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
On your way out of Etosha make sure to stop at the Bakkery in Outjo and order their Apple Strudel. It’s the best I’ve ever had.

+1

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote