THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    client refused a 100 pounder, see picture
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

client refused a 100 pounder, see picture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted
Tanzania, Selous, Ligombe camp, the client refused a 100 pounder

Arnaud Mermet PH of TAWISA in Tanzania just sent me these pictures.

Can You imagine that, the client guided by Francois Lyonnet and Arnaud Mermet refused to shoot this 100 pounder. Ivory of about 2.70m long ivory (106 inches).
The pissed PHs took this photo.
How would You react as a client and as a PH?

But client felt good with this 42 pounder (1.80m or 71 inches).

If You want this incredible elephant, move fast and get in touch with Arnaud on his website.
Arnaud MERMET

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
My first reaction would be 'ahhh fffffffaaarckit' but my longer term reaction would be depend on the situation. - I had a Father and Son pair of hunters a while ago and in their culture it would be very rude for the son to outdo the father in the trophy stakes. - As it's their money they're spending and their culture, who am I to argue. The son of this pair declined to take two or three really nice trohies because they were bigger than anything the father had shot. - Don't know how I'd have felt if it'd happened with an Elephant of that quality though........... Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have shot it but from the picture I can't tell if the bull has 2 tusks. As the sliding scale for trophy fees is dependent on the weight of the heavier tusk perhaps the client was not willing to pay the top trophy fee for 1 tusk. Of course this is just a guess on my part.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What was the trophy fee?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
JB,

Hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of giving the pic a quick dose of Photoshop to see if I could change the levels etc and improve the pic a bit. Wink

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Steve

Feel free to look for any photoshop trick.

In fact I am afraid that Mark H. Young is really foxy, we are outsmarted.

Concerning the 42 pounder Arnaud is also a 6 footer jut to give the scale.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]

Wonderful ivory.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If I were the client, would be shooting first and worrying about how to pay later. If I were the PH, this is excellent advertising! Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the client wanted to leave the real big guy in the breeding population for a while? Spread the good genes, and hope for more like him to stick around for some time? His 42 pounder is still quite nice. Thats my attitude once I finally draw a hard to get mule deer tag in my area...I don't want the biggest I see, I want the 2nd biggest Smiler

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari:

Do you think it is a 100 pounder?

The tusk doesn't seen to be 2.5 times bigger than the 42 pounder to me. Regardless, it is a damn nice bull.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
The question is ...why?

Probably the money, but how can you pass something like this up?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Shakari:

Do you think it is a 100 pounder?

The tusk doesn't seen to be 2.5 times bigger than the 42 pounder to me. Regardless, it is a damn nice bull.

Without seeing the animal in the flesh or having anything else in the picture to give perspective, I'd be reluctant to make a firm statement on that...........However, those tusks are verly long indeed and although we don't of course know how long the nerve is, I'd guess it probably wouldn't be far off the ton. (English for 100), and possibly over it.

Either way, he's actually the ideal animal to take (even without such fantastic tusks) - He's at the end of his life, has already passed his genes onto the next generation, and he'll be at the end of the wear of his last set of teeth.

Take a close look at how the bones are beginning to stick out, esp on his hips and skull......... almost certainly because his teeth are so buggered he can't chew enough food to keep him alive and so is already in a downward spiral of health.

Look also at the background and it looks to me as though that's riverine habitat behind him. - This is typical of very old tuskers to seek out these habitats because there should be more succulent and easily digestable food in those areas.

Personally, I'd take him in a heartbeat - and I would probably be doing him a favour, as death by starvation is no way for such a magnificent animal to check out.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I should add that if that partcular PH says he reckoned it made the ton, then I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the brown stuff, he'd be right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
JB

Not to start a pissing match but Adam looked at the pic and thinks the ele is carrying no more than 75 pounds per side as the ivory is very thin.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Holy! What's the African version of "buck fever"?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post

saw this boytjie in the kruger about a year ago he is still in good condition

ill take him any day

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thin or not - 75 or 100 lbs - so what! Those are awesome tusks and would look great in any trophy room. Shame the lad didn't have the wisdom to pull the trigger knowing he'd likely never see such a trophy again. That coupled with the fact that of the 2 Eles, the older run-down animal was from an ethical standpoint the one to take in the first place!

Get me the GPS#s on that one!

JW
JW

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:
the client refused a 100 pounder.....

The pissed PHs .......

How would You react as a client ....

I'd shoot anything the PH is picking up the tab for.

What is the difference in trophy fees between 42# and 100#?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This story is just a little difficult to um er...swallow...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tusks that the hunter did collect sure look more than 42lbs to me. I'm not saying the weight is not correct, just that they look a lot heavier.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Bunduki,

Alot of hunters would and do turn down one tusked elephants. This guy might easily be looking at over $100,000 in total costs to shoot a one tusker. This might give most of us pause.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
The tusks that the hunter did collect sure look more than 42lbs to me. I'm not saying the weight is not correct, just that they look a lot heavier.

Though no guru, I agree.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I would love to shoot a 100 pounder, being realistic I would have to ask the PH how much the trophy fee is on him... And maybe settle for what I could afford...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could that not possibly be a cow elephant? I've been trying to learn more about how to to differentiate the bulls from the cows by more than just the ivory. One thing I thought I had nailed was that a cow has a much sharper angle to the forehead. The one in this pic sure looks sharp to me, vs. a more rounded forehead of bull. If so, that might explain long thin ivory, and why client might have passed.

Anyone have similar thoughts, or am I all wrong?

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Although, the ivory in those parts seems to be really thin....

I have a PH friend who has shot hundreds of elephant, personally and with clients. Having hunted little in western Zim, he found himself on a hunt in the Hwange area a couple seasons back. He turned down a bull which he initially judged to be in the 50's, and then when the bull was seen again changed his mind and gave his client the go ahead. When the short, fat ivory was extracted, suprise, suprise - 70+. Just goes to show how difficult ivory judgment actually is.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
[QUOTE]

Wonderful ivory.

Dave

Sure looks better than 42# to me, but nerv e length?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
JB

Not to start a pissing match but Adam looked at the pic and thinks the ele is carrying no more than 75 pounds per side as the ivory is very thin.

Mark

Based on what I shot and saw in the Selous back in the '70's I would sure be on Adam's side on this one. Just to thin. Bodies a lot smaller the say a Hwange elephant.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Wonderful ivory.

Dave

In all honesty and I'm undoubtedly exposing my ignorance, I would have called this high fifties, sixty maybe...
But they are considerably thicker than the tusks on the 'hundred pounder' that was turned down, are they not?

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Bwana Bunduki,

Alot of hunters would and do turn down one tusked elephants. This guy might easily be looking at over $100,000 in total costs to shoot a one tusker. This might give most of us pause.

Mark

I have turned down single tusker before in the Sudan that Franc Coupe thought would go around 110#. One big tusk! Was rewarded later with a matched 94#, much better trophy. That was back in the days when an elephant permit was less $200.00 as I recall without looking it up.

There might be ethical reasons to take the old bull, but at $100,00.00, no way, I just be unetical at that point. To each his won at that point. If you have more money than you know what to do with, then go for it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the pic does look like a cow elephants forehead

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Wonderful ivory.

Dave

In all honesty and I'm undoubtedly exposing my ignorance, I would have called this high fifties, sixty maybe...
But they are considerably thicker than the tusks on the 'hundred pounder' that was turned down, are they not?

Dave

I have agree with you, much thicker to drive weight up.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I would love to shoot a 100 pounder, being realistic I would have to ask the PH how much the trophy fee is on him... And maybe settle for what I could afford...

I agree with Mike.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:
I agree that the pic does look like a cow elephants forehead

Not saying that you are wrong Mate, but if that's a cow then she is a world record for both length and weight.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How would you react as a client and a PH?

As a client, I would not shoot him. I have no interest in elephant. (If I was hunting elephant, and he had two tusks, I would drop him.)

If I were a PH, what would I care? He's the client. I get him in a position for a shot, then it's his call. Assuming he had the money to hunt elephant, I would be surprised if he didn't take the shot.

I always make it plain to a PH what I'm after. Every trip something else interesting jumps up and the PH asks if I want to take it. Every trip I turn something down. I've never had a PH react negatively in any way to my decision. If that were to occur I would stop the conversation, let him know who works for who, and if his hard-on didn't immediately disappear, I would get him replaced.

On a safari everyone has a clearly defined job. The PH's job is to find the game I've paid to hunt. My job is to decide whether to pull the trigger. The second part of that is that if I decide to shoot, I have a responsibility to shoot well.

Posts: 13857 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
in my opinion, it's no place for a PH to be bitchy about a client NOT shooting something. You have to wonder WHY is he pissed. It aint for the client, it's for the PH. If a certain animal just doesn;t float the client's boat, thats his prerogative.

_Baxter

one of us
posted Hide Post
my, my, my, what interesting comments I read here; those that said they wouldn´t shoot that elephant are much better men than I!

had I been the ph and ou, my client turned it down, I would subsequently recommend you to a phsychiatrist. Big Grin

And remember that for a PH, guiding a client to a successful kill is the same as if he/she hunted the animal him/herself. It is not as "unnattached" an experience as Baxter put it. Hunting should be a team effort with all team members sharing in the emotions of a hunt, including the success` or failures.

I feel for Mehmet in this instance because only he knows how many miles and days he has spent in the bush with one aim - hunting a 100 pounder! Some go through a life time never finding one. He may never again beer

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
my, my, my, what interesting comments I read here; those that said they wouldn´t shoot that elephant are much better men than I!

had I been the ph and ou, my client turned it down, I would subsequently recommend you to a phsychiatrist. Big Grin

And remember that for a PH, guiding a client to a successful kill is the same as if he/she hunted the animal him/herself. It is not as "unnattached" an experience as Baxter put it. Hunting should be a team effort with all team members sharing in the emotions of a hunt, including the success` or failures.

I feel for Mehmet in this instance because only he knows how many miles and days he has spent in the bush with one aim - hunting a 100 pounder! Some go through a life time never finding one. He may never again beer

Bloody good post and as usual, Mich hits the nail bang on the head. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Hunting should be a team effort with all team members sharing in the emotions of a hunt, including the success` or failures.

Team effort, but only one customer, and only one guy in the "team" paying the bill.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
The best time to shoot is when opportunity presents its self 7 out of ten times there is some factor that prevents us from taking it (cost,its not on my list.......)by the time you have sorted out these factors you wont find that trophy again.

I did a hunt in july where i showed the client 5 impala rams over 24" and two that was 26"in one day he declined them all because he has shot 2 before. i nearly shot it myself because i havent seen that in my life before.

with 2 days left he decided he wanted another impala and we didnt see one over 22"

but that is how it works in hunting

Take an opportunity if Diana presents it to you

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote