THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Really, how often have you lost your ammo?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really, how often have you lost your ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Ok, this has been riding my brain for quite some time now.

Really, just how often HAVE the airlines lost your ammo?

Alternately stated, how often have you had to scrounge for ammo during a hunt? Ran out? Lost it? Whatever?

And if it was lost, how much trouble did you have replacing it? Just pick a few 505's off the magic Gibbs Tree? Fish a few .375's out of the gutter or trash can?

Saeed has a 404-375 (*or is it a 375-404?)...lots of oddball calibers out there.

What is the ammo back up plan?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost all luggage, guns, ammo in 05 going to the Save. We borrowed a 6.5, a 30-06, and a 375, plus ammo for the first seven days of the hunt.

I took a 264 that was lost for the seven days...the PH had some 264 ammo in camp!!!!!

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue. I have left some 416 Rem Mag in the Selous for someone who has "lost" their ammo.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three of us were hunting in Moz in 2008. My rifle and duffel made it to Beira with me. However, my two companions were not so fortunate. Their rifles made it but not their bags with their ammo. One 375 Ruger and one 416 Weatherby. It was three days until the bags caught up. We shared lots of stuff!

In the meantime, there was 375 Ruger ammo in camp left by a previous client. Not so lucky with the Weatherby so my other companion had to use a camp rifle for a few days.

405wcf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost everything on my first safari for 9 days. Never happened since.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost my rifle and ammo for the first three days of my trip to the Eastern Cape of RSA in 2007. I shoot a Sharps, so using a loaner was out of the question.

Air 2000 located my rifle IN DALLAS and it was delivered to my camp on the evening of the third day.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten safaris, three times rifles and ammo showed up late. I always got by, using PH's rifle, etc. That's Africa. Stay loose. It'll all work out.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
S*@t happens, and so does lost ammo/guns. It's never happened to me going to africa (yet) but has to my partners on more than one of my safaris. I have also had partners whose rifles have broken down on more than one occasion. They used my back-up or we fixed it with duct tape and field expediency.

Did loose my rifles coming home once, after they arrived at the wrong airport in the states. I located them a week later. The airlines were no help, BTW.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew my PH had additional 06 ammo on hand if mine was lost and i asked him about 8x68S as well and he said not to wory he had a friend that shoots it.

However I made sure all these arrangements were made beforehand just in case.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Five trips, one time all my luggage got to Harare the day after I did, and one time my guns got back to Vegas a day after I did.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
LSt year in South Africa, but it was a 375 H&H and a previous hunter had left some. After mine arrived, I left the unfired rounds so as to help the next hunter with lost ammo.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2009 I arrived in Africa with no ammo...totally my own fault, not that of the airlines. In fact, an airport security x-ray in Toronto alerted me to the fact that I had no ammo. I called the booking agent (Wendell Reich) and was told that arrangements would be made. The PG ranch in Botswana had ammo available (.375H&H) as a matter of course. My PH in the Caprivi had some ammo left by the previous hunter, in fact the same factory loading for which I was sighted-in. I was repeatedly told how lucky I was to be using such a popular and common chambering.

On the way home from that trip my rifle extended its vacation a couple of days beyond mine, but eventually arrived at my home safe and sound. S"**t does indeed happen.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, knock on wood, but with 2 African safaris under my belt, I've lost absolutely nothing, going or coming home.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my rifle. No clothes (except my change in the carry on) and no ammo. My PH had a whole gunshop in his shed, but no 375 H&H. All of that was in another country. Used his loaner rifle, and got my ammo 2 days later. I left 375 ammo behind for the next guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 13 trips have neber lost ammo but have had the rifles show up 1 and 5 days late.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far (after four trips) once - the first trip in 2008. SAA via JNB to Windhoek. Bags, guns, ammo "lost" for three days. SAA did finally deliver all to the PH's place (500km) from Windhoek. Everything arrived except $300 of high end cosmetics/personal care items my girlfriend had brought for the PH's wife.

On all three of the other trips, our checked bags had been opened by TSA with locks (TSA "approved") were cut along with the plastic vacuum/shrink wrap cut off and even cut a TSA "approved" security strap.

Only time stuff was "stolen" was the first trip. Just pisses me off that TSA feels they have to cut "TSA approved" locks.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have never lost any, des pite hunting for so many years.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle and ammo lost on my first safari, arrrived the evening of the first day. I shot my first African anmial - Blesbok, with Mark's Pre 70 30-06. Funny thing last month I shot my White Blesbok with a borrowed Bruno 30-06.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have had my ammo lost twice going, in 9 safaris. The first time the ammo was recovered just in time for the hunt. The second time around it arrived four days AFTER I had shot my second leopard while still wearing my airplane clothes, and with borrowed 375 H&H ammo from my PH. Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never lost a bag, rifle or otherwise, going on a hunt. The only time I had a rifle not show up was on a trip back from Africa; I stopped in Zurich for business. The gun made it to Zurich but when I flew back to Amsterdam my gun didn't make it. Not surprising, as I only had about 30 min to connect. Interestingly, MsAAW was with me on that trip, but she went to London on biz while I went to Zurich. We were on the same flight from AMS, but she also had a bag that didn't make it.

When I go on a hunting trip, I always allow at least two hours between connections. If you schedule something tight, you are asking for trouble. United can scan your bag tag and tell you where that bag is; I think Delta can now do it, although their technology has always been about dead last in the industry (it used to be on NWA a gate or phone agent could tell you where your plane was coming from; now they have no idea).

See if you can get your bag tags scanned at the gate. At least you will know where the bags are and the airline can take action before you leave.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4 trips - nothing lost.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Too many.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never. But I always leave ammo. Sort of pay it forward...

JEff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer hunt to Uvalde, TX in 2005, I boarded Northworst in Orlando for San Antonio with a change in Memphis. In MEM, my rifle got sent back to Orlando and I missed two days of hunting because I have never, in a 39 year career in aviation, seen a more incompetent bunch than Northwest baggage. Now Delta owns them. They got my guns to Tanzania in 2006 and 2009 without a hitch. Of course KLM had the Euro/African legs and they are usually excellent.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
2009 KLM from Amsterdam to Dar they did not put my bag with my clothes and ammo on plane. Now every other piece of luggage arrived. However I suspect being sandbagged by a tree hugger. But my next trip I will split ammo in half and have both 450#2 and 375 in both bags. So if one is lost the other will arrive and half of ammo is better then no ammo.. Also that is why I like the 375 H&H there is always some in a safari camp. any ammo is better then no ammo. Oh yea!, I had for hunting a 375 Caprivi and a 450#2 Famars double club. Damn expensive club.

Now I ask before I fly is my luggage on board and it will show it was scanned.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
So far, 7 trips to Africa (RSA 4, Zim 3) and 2 to Kamchatka Russia (1 DFW to ANK to PTV, 1 DFW to CHI to ZUR to MOS to PTV) and they have all made it fine. I usually leave some ammo behind just in case for the next guy, or me if I return and have a problem!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Rifles twice and including Ammo on one of these occasions. Lost for around seven days.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Never lost any ammo or had any luggage delayed. Lucky, I guess.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Ok, this has been riding my brain for quite some time now.

Really, just how often HAVE the airlines lost your ammo?

Alternately stated, how often have you had to scrounge for ammo during a hunt? Ran out? Lost it? Whatever?
On 6 safaris to Zim and 6 to Namibia I never lost any ammo or rifles.

Once on the transfer back From Joburg rifle was delayed. But this was no trouble since it happened AFTER the safari… Airlines I used on these 12 safaris were SAA and Air Namibia.

Backup plan for lost ammo: buying it locally at Harare or Windhoek.
Cheers, Hans

And if it was lost, how much trouble did you have replacing it? Just pick a few 505's off the magic Gibbs Tree? Fish a few .375's out of the gutter or trash can?

Saeed has a 404-375 (*or is it a 375-404?)...lots of oddball calibers out there.

What is the ammo back up plan?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On 6 safaris to Zim and 6 to Namibia I never lost any ammo or rifles.

Once on the transfer back From Joburg rifle was delayed. But this was no trouble since it happened AFTER the safari…

Airlines I used on these 12 safaris were SAA and Air Namibia.

Backup plan for lost ammo: buying it locally at Harare or Windhoek.

Cheers, Hans

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arniet:
My PH had a whole gunshop in his shed, but no 375 H&H.

Would you believe it?!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the meantime, there was 375 Ruger ammo in camp left by a previous client. Not so lucky with the Weatherby so my other companion had to use a camp rifle for a few days.

Oh my God, it can't be true that there was 375 Ruger ammo in camp Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You only have to lose your ammo, or rifle once to ruin a good hunt. The airlines lost my hunting partner's ammo on a trip to Zim. this year. He had brought a custom 404 specifically for the hunt. There was no ammo in camp, or in Vic. Falls for that matter. The result a lot of shooting at home working up loads, and a lot of money wasted because of the airlines carelessness.

The majority fo us take our own rifles because we want to use them. Otherwise it would be easier to hire a rifle when you get there. I shoot a 450#2. Even if by some chance there was 450#2 ammo in camp, the chances it would be regulated for my rifle are nill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IAH/Frankfurt/Windhoek in 2006. 1 of the 3 of use had way too overweight luggage so he had to put it in a cardboard box Lufthansa provided. When we go to Windhoek, the box arrived but not the luggage for him. No rifle ammo, no camera, no buckshot. Airlines finally figured out that his GREEN suit case accidentally got sent to Milan, Italy, where someone thought it was their's, took it out of the airport and didn't discover it was not their's until at the hotel. The Italian police wouldn't let it go because it had ammo (hand loads for Ruger#1 ,30-'06) Finally got it on it's way, arrived after about 3 days left in a 10 day hunt.

I left a box of 300WSM as I was the first to hunt w/this calibre on this farm.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been fortunate to have all of our luggage arrive timely on eight trips to Southern Africa. As a precaution my hunting partner, who also wife of almost 45 years, and I divide our ammunition and clothes between our two suitcases. We also mix softs and solids in the same box of cartridges, plus we both use a .375 H&H and she a .30/06 and I a .416 Remington. These are very common calibers and so is their ammunition.

One of Us
Picture of Private Contractor
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine on a recent hunt in Namibia, had his ammo confiscated in Germany during a layover. He hadn't exceeded his limit of ammo, but also brought components for reloading (a gift for the PH) and they decided to count the empty brass as loaded ammunition, thereby confiscating it all, with no discussion allowed. Luckily he was using 375 H&H, which was plentiful at the camp.

-Private Contractor-
Retired
Private Security Contractor
Executive Protection
PMC WWPS
Instructor and Collector of Pokey and Sharp Things
USTC

Posts: 31 | Location: Bridgeport, Texas | Registered: 04 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just made a trip from CO Spgs to: DFW/Jacksonville. TSA went thru my suitcase with ammo both ways. Never opened my gun case with two rifle's and two revolvers.

BUT: American Air lost track of my gun case on the way down. They did deliver it to the guys house I was staying at, 60 miles from the airport but ,hell I paid $60 each way for that second "bag" too.

We delayed departure driving across Florida until my guns showed up. Lost two days.
Coming home where it didn't matter much it was all right there. But, the gun case wasn't put on the belt. I was standing there waiting for a long time when I happened to look across the baggage area & saw a TSA woman standing next to my gun case. She'd taken it off to make sure it got to the right person. Good deal but, should have been on the side where all the people were waiting for baggage instead of 50 feet to the off side.
Yeah I'm just bitching!!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
once on the first hunt i have been on

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I’ve never lost anything but flights and hunting time from breakdowns, and missed connections as a result!

My Merkel 470NE double rifle was lost for three weeks on a return leg , after an elephant hunt and was finally found in a airline warehouse! The rifle belonged to the previous owner, who posts here on AR, at that time so didn’t effect me at all!

I guess I’ve been lucky. I did almost have my gun case sent to the wrong destination when because of a missed connection from Lusaka, Zambia to Mfuwe, Zambia in the Luangwa Valley, and was re-booked through Indola, Zambia to Mfuwe. I just happened to be looking at the guy in Indola when he tagged it to the next stop after I was to get off in Mfuwe, Zambia. Just luck, or I would have been in the valley without my rifles, as well as being already three days late because of a broken BA 747 and missed connections.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My luggage was delayed one day from JNB to Bulawayo in '07. Other than that luggage and guns have always arrived. As AAW says trying to schedule plenty of time between flights helps. The one time my luggage did not show up was on a tight connection with my flight coming into JNB being late.

It's a pain but I think receiving your luggage and guns in JNB and physically checking them on to your next flight helps. At least you'll know where the luggage was lost if it doesn't arrive.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote