THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    vegetarian and vegan lifestyles - the earth is NOT your mother !
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vegetarian and vegan lifestyles - the earth is NOT your mother !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Well...isn't THAT something...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I eat Paleo/Primal (Lots of veggies/protein, no grains, fruit around workouts, nuts, seeds, and lots of bacon Big Grin ) I also do Crossfit that probably accounts for the high HDL.

+1 on the Paleo and Crossfit.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I figure the smart thing is to eat food as close to originally presented as possible. I have also heard you should only eat food that grows naturally within 100 miles of where you live, interesting...

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Humans are not ruminants like Cape buffalo - which have special facilities to extract protein and other nutrients from plant material.

creatures like Horses,Zebra,Elephants,Rhino,Hippopotamus,.. are non-ruminant.
Yet those non-ruminant herbivores develop & maintain muscle mass whilst gaining their nutrition from plant material.

They are hindgut fermenters though. Not as efficient as ruminants but still rely on microbial break down and much different from our own GI tracts which very much mimic that of an obligate carnivore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Humans are not ruminants like Cape buffalo - which have special facilities to extract protein and other nutrients from plant material.

creatures like Horses,Zebra,Elephants,Rhino,Hippopotamus,.. are non-ruminant.
Yet those non-ruminant herbivores develop & maintain muscle mass whilst gaining their nutrition from plant material.

They are hindgut fermenters though. Not as efficient as ruminants but still rely on microbial break down and much different from our own GI tracts which very much mimic that of an obligate carnivore.

Pigs are not ruminants, nor hindgut fermenters,... they are monogastric, just like humans.

Commercial farmers raise grain fed hogs[no animal meal], resulting in an animal with plenty meat on the bone.

Feed pigs on wheat, maize, potatoes, soybeans, or anything else low in cellulose, and pigs will perform veritable miracles of transubstantiation; feed them on grass, stubble, leaves, or anything high in cellulose, and they will lose weight.

Not all plant material based diets are the same.

Pasture[grass] fed hogs will not develop like those fed on grains & legumes.

Pasture[grass] fed cattle[a ruminant creature ] are different, because they have greater ability to breakdown/digest the cellulose.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
As far a 'mother' earth my mother was the 'salt of the earth' but she was a flesh and blood Southern Baptist and I can guarantee she never saw a meat OR vegatable she didn't like.

Now that you bring religion into the subject.....

Genesis 1:29-30 And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
[no mention of animals for consumption]

then after the great flood....

Genesis 9:3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

So originally, people were vegetarians, till God gave them permission to eat meat.

Being vegetarian then cannot be wrong, its just that people were later allowed the option of eating meat.

Romans;
Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats

The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
I became a vegetarian because it's healthier.

Grumulkin,

I have been doing a low carb high protein diet that includes meat vegetables and some fruit for quite some time.

Want to make a bet on who's got better blood chemistry? Me or the average vegetarian.

My total Cholesterol is under 140.

LDL under 70

HDL over 50

Trygylcerides under 80

It doesn't matter if you are a vegetarian if you eat a bunch of breads and and pasta and rice and potatoes it still turns to sugar in your system and it still makes you diabetic and it still sky rockets your cholesterol.

There are plenty of over weight vegetarians out there with heart disease.

Your numbers are pretty similar to mine.

Low carb diets are probably harder to follow for many than an ovolactovegetarian diet. You have to be very disciplined because after a day of indiscretion it will take 2 or 3 days to deplete glycogen stores and get into the fat burning phase again. Honestly, I like fruit too much to do it.

As far as there being plenty of over weight vegetarians goes, that is true however it has been shown that the average vegetarian is of lower weight than the nonvegetarian.

Really, I'm not out to take away anyone's cigarettes, meat etc. It's your body; do with it as you like.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote