New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cartridge / Culling Belt List
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great list!

Gearing-up for an adventure is so much fun! Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Great list, thank you for compiling it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to post these companies.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great list. Just bought a Trader Keith canvas belt at SCI for my son's first buff safari. My personal culliing belt is awesome. It was made from my cape buffalo back skin. PH Andy Hunter has a leathersmith that makes beautiful leather products as part of his Chipitani Pack and Dip Service. Sends them with your trophy shipment. My culling belt is priceless. We packed that buffalo 5 miles back to the truck. Great memories every time I pick it up.
LB

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
tu2

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here heard anything from Aleko of africase?They used to have high quality leather products here on AR.

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had a number of beautiful culling/hunting belts, knife, flashlight and leatherman sheaths (as complete sets) made from elephant, hippo, and even my leftover rhino hide. I had them made by Jim Ware in Wyoming, through Chris Sells at Heym. Jim's workmanship is absolutely impeccable. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Texas HuntCo not producing leather goods anymore for civilian sale? I still have their products and enjoy them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Els belts and slides look very nice. Anyone imported them to the US yet?

I've one of the Boyt belts that Cabela's used to sell, but don't seem them for sale anywhere anymore. I'm trying to figure out myself how I'm going to handle carrying two types of ammo on my hunt this fall (470 and 375). Planning to take a buffalo with each, just not sure how to carry ammo for both that the same time and not mix anything up an inconvenient time.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have used quite a few on the list, however, the best is from Les of Matheson Leather in New Zealand.
www.matheson.co.nz

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pimp my belt! tu2

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente cuckoo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVFred:
Has anyone here heard anything from Aleko of africase?They used to have high quality leather products here on AR.

His products are still for sale in Germany http://www.titanium-gunworks.d...5-shot-open-top.html

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most cartridge belts allow the cartridges to work loose and crawl out or fall through. delt with that crap out there for years designed by those skilled artisions that have never hunted DG in their life...

Finally after years I found some black stretch Nylon belts at Cabelas for about $6.00 each..I bought two, sewed the bottom of each cartridge loop closed on one belt to prevent fall throughs, sewed the two belts together lengthwise so that My 450-400s, 375s, or 470s went in the top belt loops to the lower belt loop with about an inch of each round exposed at the top..tapered both belts to one of the buckles and cut the othe buckle off buckle of the other belt...They come out very easy and never move no matter what I do physically ..

If confused and your interested send me your email and I'll send you a picture, its very simple, not costly, and the only thing that has satisfied me in a cartridge belt. It holds 24 rounds as I recall or twelve if you skip a loop and it will work with any size round within reason..For smaller rounds sew the belts closer together.

I also have one made in Zimbabwe out of soft leather and heavy nylon belting. It works but was expensive..the soft chamois leather holds the rounds in pretty well, but have lost a couple of rounds with it, as it wore slick, and the rounds worked themselves up and out....

Leather loops are the culprit. Leather streatches and gets loose prett quick. Leather is hell to break in for wearing comfort, and bad in that when you yank a round up and out of the loops the whole damn belt comes up as opposed to releasing the round..This applies to the high dollar belts most of all, as they use the best and heaviest of leather, pretty but non functional.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My experience with such belts is on the slim side, but I have been just plum tickled with the quality of the woven canvas belts made by Stan Dolega of Wolf Ears Equipment in Laramie, Wyoming. No verdigris either.

http://www.wolfearsequipment.com/Pg6.html

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
quote:
Originally posted by WVFred:

His products are still for sale in Germany http://www.titanium-gunworks.d...5-shot-open-top.html

Funny guy, Aleko.

Glad he is gone.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How aobut our own Tommymaker in Kansas? His stuff is outstanding. I have slides for all of my double rifle's calibers from .350 to 4-bore.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote