Find
Notify
Tools

Skinny lion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
What do you folks think of this lion. The picture was sent to me recently which was represented to be a lion that was "passed on" for a reason not related. The client later killed an old grizzled fellow about 10 days later, btw. I've got a picture of it, but it has the client, too, and I don't have permission to publish it, but trust me, it is a wonderful old dude!

I'm not an expert on lions and am curious. What do our experts think about the age and doesn't this guy look a bit thin? The concession is in Zimbabwe, non-fenced, famous for having reputable operaters (in other words, the lion is wild). I've been on the concession three times and have seen lions during daylight hours each time, mature males usually having good manes (but not this good!). As another factor, plains game are abundent on the concession but buffalo are transient this time of year (so could that be a reason for the ribs showing?)

Your thoughts on age and conditions, please.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7696 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I personally would have fattened him up with 400 grains of soft point. Yes, very skinney. Could be suffering from a multitude of issues. Intestinal parasite, old age, or inability to hunt effectively may explain his worn look. Hunting can be hard on a lone male with no pride to depend on.
Regardless, a very tough lion to pass. I would have shot him without any hesitation.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know lions, I do know animals.

Taking this one would be a GOOD THING for both of you.

Sometimes the kind thing to do is putting an animal down. I have lost track of how many old cows and horses I have had to put down.

this animal is emaciated,and has lost a lot of muscle mass, this is not a healthy animal.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I think he is a great lion. He's just old. I am shocked that the hunter passed on him.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Of course the only way to be positive is through testing but it could well be TB.

The KNP for example has had TB problems for a number of years & I'm told it's not uncommon in the buff and it's then passed onto the lions when they eat them.

The good news is the more recent studies seem to suggest that many of these animals are slowly developing a resistance to the disease.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Clearly in very poor condition. Does not look like a young lion either but, being so terribly thin may mask his actual age.

~Ann

Posts: 19552 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Definitely something wrong with this old boy. As stated, he should be taken/put down. He is a good Lion to take.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Great trophy.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
potential maneater

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
At $40-$50K for a hunt, I might have reservations as the client did. He doesn't appear to be a very young lion but is definitely in very poor health. You'd be doing it a favor to put him out of his misery and possibly avoid future issues if it decided to turn to easier prey like livestock\humans.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know lions, I do know animals.

Taking this one would be a GOOD THING for both of you.

Sometimes the kind thing to do is putting an animal down. I have lost track of how many old cows and horses I have had to put down.

this animal is emaciated,and has lost a lot of muscle mass, this is not a healthy animal.

Don't really know a damn thing about wild free range lions, but I do agree with Cross L. In looking at a few representatives of other spoecies over thre years, this is not a healthy animal and a bullet would be better than hyena's.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this lion nearing death would be a greater trophy than the biggest one in the world healthy

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Of course the only way to be positive is through testing but it could well be TB.

The KNP for example has had TB problems for a number of years & I'm told it's not uncommon in the buff and it's then passed onto the lions when they eat them.

The good news is the more recent studies seem to suggest that many of these animals are slowly developing a resistance to the disease.

Was fortunate enough to dart a lion for a study on bovine TB. The lion ended up testing positive, but was in PRIME condition which was good news.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a clever old lion maintains his weight and does not get shot Smiler

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
He is the winner of the Biggest Looser clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68728 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, nobody here could see his teeth. He could be a Great Grand-Pa lion. No One can tell how old he is from a pict. By his body and head size he looks old, but who knows till he teeth are looked at.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
While the lion looks to be in rough shape.

The picture quality is wanting.

It appears that the lion has an injury.

While the lion is a candidate for being put out of his misery.

I would would not shot this lion while on a lion hunt. While a nice trophy, your cape would be for a head mount only. Is that what you want?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thoughts, but maybe one of the lion experts could chime in.

I thought a lion if he was in poor condition, such as an injury or not eating well lost his mane, and that this was one of the first things that happens in a bad situation for the cat?

Certainly looks like a shooter to me though.

Posts: 11009 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
At $40-$50K for a hunt, I might have reservations as the client did. He doesn't appear to be a very young lion but is definitely in very poor health. You'd be doing it a favor to put him out of his misery and possibly avoid future issues if it decided to turn to easier prey like livestock\humans.

Please let me know where I can buy lion hunts for 40K.

I would whack that thing in a second.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
To me looks like the perfect TROPHY! Seems to have all the characteristics of an older Lion such as Mane filled behind ears, broad nose and lots of scarring of the head.
Body condition definetly shows signs of distress of some kind, maybe malnutrition, maybe an old wound or disease but why does this make him any lesser of a trophy? To me personally makes him even more desireable.

Bwana 338 why would the cape be for a head mount only???
Limited knowledge of Taxidermy but would think if so desired full body mount would soon put the pounds back on lost thru Saeeds special LION BIGGEST LOSER reality Show Cool

Please please let me find him next year dancing
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
While the lion looks to be in rough shape.

The picture quality is wanting.

It appears that the lion has an injury.

While the lion is a candidate for being put out of his misery.

I would would not shot this lion while on a lion hunt. While a nice trophy, your cape would be for a head mount only. Is that what you want?

The opposite side of the coin: Were he well groomed and filled in whereby the knuckles of his spine and ribs were not to be visible I'll bet 10:1 that he would be classed as a lion in his prime and undoubtedly a pride holder - and don't forget the 6+ year factor!

P.S. The taxidermist can make him look whichever way you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I think he is a great lion. He's just old. I am shocked that the hunter passed on him.

SBT you should see the one we shot ""

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BURKINA FASO Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:

Please let me know where I can buy lion hunts for 40K.

I would whack that thing in a second.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My uninformed speculations:

1. This was not the first lion on a game camera and another, better lion (or lions) had been seen or captured on camera?

2. No night hunting is allowed in the concession and that somehow was in the matrix?

3. It was early in the hunt and the concession constantly produced older, better lions.

4. Life of a "single" lion is really tough and the P.H. thought that this fellow was "betwixt" being a member of a pride and getting his own, therefore having a hard time supporting himself.... and a quarter or two of zebra didn't hurt him much. I'd like to see a picture of the fellow after a week or two on the baits?

5. Alls well that ends well. The client got a bigger, older lion. Skinny Boy got some well needed protein and life and death in Africa goes on?

quote:
Originally posted by ross j:
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:

SBT you should see the one we shot ""

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7696 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
this lion nearing death would be a greater trophy than the biggest one in the world healthy

+1

Given how few there are now days, I don't know if I would take a fit but breedable lion. Thats if I had the money, it sucks being poor

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have shot it.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
An ancient warrior past his prime or he has a mouth with broken teeth or an injury.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

4. Life of a "single" lion is really tough and the P.H. thought that this fellow was "betwixmt" being a member of a pride and getting his own, therefore having a hard time supporting himself.... and a quarter or two of zebra didn't hurt him much. I'd like to see a picture of the fellow after a week or two on the baits?
'

IF the above were the case, I would pass too....but only in this case. If the PH thought the pictured lion was well past his prime and on his way out, I would pass on the biggest, fattest, healthiest, blackest maned cat in the area and SHOOT THIS ONE! To pass on the most "ecologically responsible" lion to take for the sake of what are really relatively minor cosmetic issues seems a bit selfish and irresponsible to me. Better to make a rug out of this guy and for the next 40 years think about how you did right by the species.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
The picture was sent to me recently which was represented to be a lion that was "passed on" for a reason not related.

Maybe he was scared the picture and hunt report would make it to AR and he would be tarred and feathered for shooting a "young" lion old

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:

4. Life of a "single" lion is really tough and the P.H. thought that this fellow was "betwixmt" being a member of a pride and getting his own, therefore having a hard time supporting himself.... and a quarter or two of zebra didn't hurt him much. I'd like to see a picture of the fellow after a week or two on the baits?
'

IF the above were the case, I would pass too....but only in this case. If the PH thought the pictured lion was well past his prime and on his way out, I would pass on the biggest, fattest, healthiest, blackest maned cat in the area and SHOOT THIS ONE! To pass on the most "ecologically responsible" lion to take for the sake of what are really relatively minor cosmetic issues seems a bit selfish and irresponsible to me. Better to make a rug out of this guy and for the next 40 years think about how you did right by the species.

tendrams,

I really like the way you think! tu2

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
sofaI bet that the taxidermist could "fatten him up" some. hilbily

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The concession is in Zimbabwe, non-fenced, famous for having reputable operaters (in other words, the lion is wild).

He has eaten one too many Zanu PF supporter. Those things will kill you jumping

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would want to see more photos of that lion before I put a more precise age category on him...but I bet he is probably at least 5 or greater.

I don't necessarly see anything with this lion that says death is pending but he is in poor body contition for sure.

Cats can change body condition very quickly with the abundace of meat or the lack there-of.

He could be just having difficulty hunting with out a pride or he definitely could have a pathologic condition. TB is certainly a possibility with a myriad of other potential health problems.

That lion has a high possibility of being a shooter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37855 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
sofaI bet that the taxidermist could "fatten him up" some. hilbily

Keith

.................................................................................. yuck jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I would want to see more photos of that lion before I put a more precise age category on him...but I bet he is probably at least 5 or greater.

I don't necessarly see anything with this lion that says death is pending but he is in poor body contition for sure.

Cats can change body condition very quickly with the abundace of meat or the lack there-of.

He could be just having difficulty hunting with out a pride or he definitely could have a pathologic condition. TB is certainly a possibility with a myriad of other potential health problems.

That lion has a high possibility of being a shooter.

or he could be at the end of a mating session Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot him right now.

Posts: 10369 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote