Find
Notify
Tools

Warm up for Africa!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
With 23 days and a wake up before leaving for RSA and Zimbabwe, an AR member did me the ultimate favor. He wrote me and asked me to spend this past weekend culling animals on his dad's ranch. (He can come aboard tell you his name, etc., but so that he doesn't get a zillion request for similar treatment, I'll leave that up to him... although many of you will, of course, recognize his picture )

I flew out to Austin and drove to Kerrville on Saturday morning. The owner wanted us to cull as many fallows as we could as they are over-running the low fenced ranch. Boy were they spooky. Whitetails, blackbuck, etc., were everywhere, but the fallow were as anxious as Michael Jackson at a weenie roast.

My host was the perfect PH, with shooting sticks and all. I got three fallow, a boar and, as a special treat, the below Axis. I also missed a couple of coyotes (albeit a zillion yards away) and an hauling-ass aoudad (if that's how you spell it). In just two afternoons and one morning of hunting, we must have had 8 different great stalks.

Thanks, Saeed, for the friendships that are possible because of this forum!

I put this in African BG Hunting, because it was such great practice for plains game. I was lucky enough to go as a guest, but even if you pay a few bucks, I'd suggest a long weekend in the Hill Country for anyone who was six months past deer season and wanted to get his nerves right and his "game eye" going.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am very jealous. What a great opportunity. And you even got a nice axis buck to boot. Just keep up the streak during your hunt in Africa and you should have some great trophies.

If he ever needs a another cull hunter there is one already in TX who could find a way to do the dirty deed for him.

Good luck in Africa.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know what, you're lucky you're leaving soon. With the forums being inundated by provocateurs, you can get some respite along with a lot of R&R. Good Luck.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of more pictures:

Note that my host had a "real" rifle for me to use. Mauser, to be sure!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
congrats on your hunt! Aahhh, that dont' look like no double rifle there Judge? LOL!

have a great hunt!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
From a wildlife biologist's eye, your host must be doing something right because the place doesn't look over-grazed. And he is culling now before the hot summer hits. Appears to have also done some brush control. The above average rainfall the Hill Country has had the last 3 years probably didn't hurt either. That axis looks like a fine trophy and are supposed to be top-notch table fare.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Ernest is too modest to say that the two fallow does in the photo were taken from a group of five at about 300 yards. He's a fine shot.

Those coyotes are probably in Mexico by now...

Hope you have a great safari.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Great work Judge

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
JudgeG - Nice shooting! That's one of the nicest cull animals I've ever seen!

But, why did you shoot that shoat? That ity-bity pig couldn't have enough meat on it for a decent Samich...LMAO!!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those oinkers are perfect eating size.Personal-Pan-Piggies.God Bless TEXAS.

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Boss:

The idea wasn't to eat, but to eradicate. Still, you have to remember that I weigh close to 300 lbs. That piggie is about a quarter of my size and just right for a intimate barbeque.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Judge that wasn't a warm up. It was a safari in itself!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote