Find
Notify
Tools

CAR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Sorry that it did not work out Will, but it sounds like all parties made a responsible decision.

I got just a taste of this in Cameroon in 2008 when rebel activity in the area caused a ripple effect, delaying my flight out by several days. In the bush it was very hard to get accurate information as to what was happening in Garoua, and the ride to the city was with some degree of trepidation. The airport was flooded with people who had been evacuated from Chad by whatever means. Their emotional stories of fleeing the capital just before the army closed off the streets painted a very vivid description. I recall thinking that when you see UN planes coming/going, you know you are in “real Africa”. I was in Zimbabwe during some of the more stressful times, but it never felt like this. I was quite happy when Air Cameroon finally left the tarmac headed for Paris.

2014 will be here before you know it, and it will still be a great adventure!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hate that you had to postpone Will but it does look as if things were going downhill quickly. When the local guys get worried, it is certainly time to make other plans. You'll just have another year of letting the anticipation build. Come on down to Dallas in the mean time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will

Well that is a bummer, but you had the right folks making the call. Your Bull will be just that much bigger and clever next year. You will just have to find another adventure to test the flyweight 375 prior. Hope to see you and the Mrs. in Dallas.

HBH

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
As Will has already mentioned, Dave Radermeyer, who is Director of Northern Operations Africa, the company I guide for decided that it's in the best interest of our client's and company PHs that the first hunts be postponed to later in the year, or in Wills case to next year. This will give NOA more time to assess everything and I am pretty sure that we will be back on track in a couple of weeks.

Our next hunts are due to start on the 17th of Jan and we are really looking forward to some more great hunts in one of the more remote areas of Africa. It is truly a privilege to be able to guide there, regardless of some of the political problems.

We will keep you all posted as and when we can on the hunts or the situation as is on the ground.

Thank you
Happy New Year

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Mbogo577
posted Hide Post
Central African Republic rebels halt advance on Bangui

The army remains in control in the capital, Bangui
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Q&A: Central African Republic's rebellion
Central African Republic profile
Rebel forces in the Central African Republic say they have halted their offensive on the capital, Bangui, and will take part in peace talks.

The announcement from the Seleka rebels comes as the country's neighbours say they are sending in extra troops.

Gabon deployed 120 troops on Tuesday and Cameroon was expected to send a similar number, the CAR's defence minister told the BBC.

The Seleka rebels began their campaign a month ago.

They have taken several key towns and cities, including the diamond centre of Bria.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

If the rebels attack Damara that would amount to a declaration of war”

Jean-Felix Akaga
Regional force commander
On Saturday, they captured Sibut city, which is about 150km (95 miles) from the capital, Bangui, after government forces withdrew.

It is the biggest threat President Francois Bozize has faced since he took power in a coup in 2003.

Both the US and France, the former colonial power, have rejected a plea by the government for help to defeat the rebels.

However, neighbouring states agreed to bolster the Central African Multinational Force, known as Fomac, which was deployed to the CAR in 2008 to help end years of unrest.

'Fled to the bush'
CAR Defence Minister Francis Bozize, who is a son of the president, told BBC Afrique that Fomac troops had been deployed to Damara, 75km (48 miles) from the capital.

Fomac commander General Jean-Felix Akaga warned the rebels against any attempt to take Damara, the last strategic town between them and Bangui, AFP news agency reports.

"Let it be clear, we will not give up Damara," he was quoted as saying.

"If the rebels attack Damara that would amount to a declaration of war and would mean that they have decided to engage the 10 central African states."

Damara resident Bertin Andjipassera told Reuters news agency that people have been fleeing their homes.

"We're really fed up of all these problems going on here. Everybody in Damara has gone into the bush, even our wives, our children are in the bush... The hospitals are not working.... There's nothing, just suffering."

Mr Bozize said 120 Gabonese soldiers had arrived in the CAR on Tuesday to bolster the regional force.

A similar number of troops from Cameroon were expected on Wednesday, and they would be followed by a contingent from Congo-Brazzaville, he added.

BBC West Africa correspondent Thomas Fessy says the rebels' capacity to take on these reinforcements is not known and the regional military build-up may well have worked as a deterrent.

Last month, France sent more than 100 paratroopers but insisted they were only there to secure its nationals - not to save the government.

Seleka spokesman Eric Massi told journalists the rebel fighters had been ordered to halt their advance.

"I have asked our forces not to move their positions starting today because we want to enter talks in [Gabon's capital] Libreville for a political solution," he told Reuters.

"I am in discussion with our partners to come up with proposals to end the crisis, but one solution could be a political transition that excludes [President] Bozize."

A regional body, the Economic Community of Central African States (Eccas), is trying to arrange talks between the government and rebels in Libreville, while strengthening its force in the CAR.

Seleka - an alliance of three separate groups - accuses the government of failing to honour a 2007 peace deal under which fighters who laid down their arms were meant to be paid.

They have dismissed the president's offer to form a national unity government.

Posts: 6 | Location: Tanzania/ Michigan/ C.A.R | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are there any news from CAR ?

I have read, that the rebels are not very happy with the peace accord, and it would be interesting to get some informations from the ground.

http://allafrica.com/stories/2...l?aa_source=mf-hdlns

I am (was) interested in hunting CAR in 2014.

Posts: 17 | Location: Germany | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hann1:
Are there any news from CAR ?

I have read, that the rebels are not very happy with the peace accord, and it would be interesting to get some informations from the ground.

http://allafrica.com/stories/2...l?aa_source=mf-hdlns

I am (was) interested in hunting CAR in 2014.

It seems that an agreement has been reached and it is business as usual.

I'll be there in Feb so hopefully the waters remain calm!!!

Cheers,
Brent

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Our project staff will return to Bangui in February. Things look OK for the time being.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Hunters went into the CAWA / NAA blocks each of the last two weeks on the scheduled charter days.

Peter Wood guided his first client to a 50" LDE in the first few days of his first hunt of the year.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went forward with booking my CAR hunt at SCI. Plan to hunt LDE Feb 2014. I'm excited and was reassured that everything will be fine but this time I'll take out trip insurance as well as Global Rescue. Never taken out trip insurance before but it seems prudent this time.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote