New
Find
Notify
Tools

CAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems the country is headed South again. Just saw an update on MSN. Anyone know of hunts being conducted now and who is involved?

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
US Dept of State 12/28/12 Travel Warning: http://travel.state.gov/travel...a_tw/tw/tw_5750.html

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think our own "safari lawyer" is or was headed that way.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at LDE hunts here for Jan. 2014. You just never know.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
I think our own "safari lawyer" is or was headed that way.

I think Will is leaving 1/1 or something like that.

Dammit, hope the situation improves quickly.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, was committed to Jan '14...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
since the government is asking for French troops to protect the capital from rebel troops, i would definitely take a flak jacket instead of a bush jacket. in fact the French government has already dispatched 30 extra soldiers to protect their embassy in Bangui. it's kind of funny really- the CAR was eager to become independent from France but now that the shit has hit the fan, they are asking for French troops to protect them from themselves. rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will is headed there in January. Not sure of the dates . Theirry is conducting hunts there. Perhaps they can comment .

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201212280344.html

Central African Republic: CAR Rebels Advance on Capital
By Kimeng Hilton Ndukong With Agency Reports, 27 December 2012

There was deep anxiety in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, CAR, yesterday, December 27, 2012 as rebels advanced towards the city, a UN envoy told the BBC. Margaret Vogt said Bangui residents were fearful of what could happen if the rebels overran the city.

Séléka rebels advanced towards Bangui on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 having passed the last remaining major government-controlled town to the north, sources said. A military source and an aid worker said the rebels had reached Damara, 75 km from Bangui, by late afternoon, having avoided Sibut where some 150 Chadian soldiers had earlier been deployed to block a push south by the rebel coalition. A government official told news agencies that the rebels were on the outskirts of the capital.

As a result, the United Nations yesterday began evacuating its non-essential staff from the country, while the US urged its nationals to leave. France ordered tighter security around its embassy in Bangui after it was attacked on Wednesday, December 26 by protesters who want France to help quash the rebellion, accusing the former colonial power of abandoning them.

Meanwhile, French President, François Hollande yesterday maintained that his country's presence in the Central African Republic is to protect its interests and French citizens, not the government of President François Bozize. Speaking in the French capital, Paris, President Hollande said he would not intervene in the internal business of CAR, adding that those days were over. Hollande ordered French troops stationed in the country on Wednesday to reinforce security at France's Embassy after protesters threw rocks at the building and some managed to enter the compound before being repulsed.

Séléka rebels accuse President François Bozize of failing to honour a 2007 peace deal under which fighters who laid down their arms were to be paid. They began their campaign a month ago in the north and have taken 10 towns in their push towards the capital. President Bozize, who seized power in a coup in 2003, has repeatedly relied on foreign intervention to fend off rebellions and the spill-over from conflicts in neighbouring Chad and Sudan.

The Central African Republic has faced numerous rebellions since independence from France in 1960. The mineral-rich country is home to about five million people and is considered by the UN as one of the least developed countries in the world.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last trip to CAR netted me a big roan and a intestinal parasite that nearly killed me. I remember before we landed in Bangui, the guy next to me said " If you want to set your watch by local time, turn it back 500 years!" Man that was spot on.Not my best memories by a long shot.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad I decided against a January trip. Seems like a hell of a good place to stay away from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been in talks about going for bongo later this season. It looks like that may not be happening anymore. I read a Time article that said the rebels may be up for peace talks as well.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The U.S. has just ordered our embassy closed and all personnel evacuated. That's a clue!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there last year. It is a tough place to navigate but the folks at CAWA, especially Charlotte Mararv will handle things. You are only in and out of Bangui. Once in the bush, it is pure hunting with no outsiders.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well certainly things looks like they are in a melt down mode for the moment at least! A PH who hunts those parts once told me, that if anyone is looking to hunt West Africa, especially for LD Eland and Bongo they should do it soon. You can hunt buffalo, leopard and even lion in several countries but there are only two countries Cameroon and CAR (ok there may be another one if you count the Congo) that you can hunt these species. Looks like one is gone now for the moment!

There are some good deals left in Cameroon if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I hunted there last year. It is a tough place to navigate but the folks at CAWA, especially Charlotte Mararv will handle things. You are only in and out of Bangui. Once in the bush, it is pure hunting with no outsiders.

Dogcat was in the SE part of the country, and he's right! SO FAR away from the current, past, and normal problems that occur in the north of CAR, that I can't even explain the difference.

Frankly, as long as the Air France flight dropped me in Bangui - I would be sticking with my hunting plans (if it were me) and I was going to CAWA's place. Obviously in the north, its another story - but the hunting "generally" sucks in the north anyway - so no loss there!

Not saying that I would "recommend" that to everyone - but myself, I would be sticking with my plans if I were going to the east/southeast of the country.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
really nothing new in that country.

the differences now is the french army wont fight anymore there unless to protect French people and the "rebels" are more heavily armed than before but again in the 90s and the end of 80s it was already like that ...

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

Dogcat was in the SE part of the country, and he's right! SO FAR away from the current, past, and normal problems that occur in the north of CAR, that I can't even explain the difference.

Frankly, as long as the Air France flight dropped me in Bangui - I would be sticking with my hunting plans (if it were me) and I was going to CAWA's place. Obviously in the north, its another story - but the hunting "generally" sucks in the north anyway - so no loss there!

Not saying that I would "recommend" that to everyone - but myself, I would be sticking with my plans if I were going to the east/southeast of the country.

you still have to enter and exit the country via Bangui and the rebels are knocking on the door, according to the BBC TODAY. several of the first places rebels always try for control of is the local radio station, the presidential palace- AND THE AIPORT!. if relief/ armed assistance can't get into the country, rebel success rate climbs. flying into a war zone to hunt doesn't really seem like a good idea. i guess i am just becoming cowardly in my old age

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Ladies/Gentleman

Things in CAR do not look great at the moment from an outsiders point of view. The US Embassy has been evacuated, but they are being extra careful, especially after what happened in Libya. I have been going to CAR since 2006 and since 2006 as far as I know there has been a travel warning on CAR. It is not in my best of interest to get anyone killed, including myself. Should one of the companies in CAR lose a client due to Rebel activities, you can be sure that company will go down. We are carefully monitoring the situation on the ground and our partners, CAWA actually live in Bangui with their young children etc. they would also be out of there, if they felt at risk. No money is worth a cliens life and there is always tomorrow. If Air France resume their flights to Bangui, then all is good ( my opinion, everyone is entitled to one ). Worse case scenario is we postpone the first hunts of the year, to monitor what happens. This is an inconvenience for everyone involved, for sure, but I would strongly urge you not to write CAR off for good. The hunting there is some of the best to be had in Africa ( speaking for the areas I hunt in anyway )

I am due to start a hunt with Will Parks in a few days time and we have been in touch with all our clients to keep them informed. We have not pulled the plug on the hunt yet, but will decide by tomorrow.

Happy New year to everyone
Thierry

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Thierry. I think the key is talking and listening to people that you trust on the ground. It is impossible to properly evaluate the situation from afar.

I hunted in Zim several years ago just before the elections, literally days before the elections. There were all kinds of warnings, media reports, etc. that were portraying a doom and gloom situation. On the other hand, the word from folks on the ground was that everything was fine. I went on the hunt, had a marvelous time (probably one of the best hunts in Zim I have ever done) and we never saw and experienced any situation that was disconcerting, inside or outside of Harare.

I am not suggesting that the situation in CAR is the same as that several years ago in Zim, frankly I am not well informed on CAR. I do think that Will is approaching the situation the right way, listen to people that you trust and be careful but do not irrationally react to reports from the media or others.

Hope he is able to make the trip.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I have travelled against "travel warnings" a couple of times before, one trouble I can see here is that Air France cancel all flights when you are hunting in the bush...I bet you wont be the first priority for your government to get you home when you have closed your eyes for the travel warnings/ban.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Mike, you are right! Take into consideration what people on the ground say, we are the last people who want something to happen to our clients.

Anton, worse case scenario is if you are in the bush, away from Bangui and Air France cancel their flights the options are: change flights and use another airline ( Ethiopia, Kenya ) or stay longer and hunt more Smiler Both are inconveniences, but not the end of the world.

Other flights are still going in and out of Bangui, when Air France cancelled theirs.

The rebel leaders and CAR Gvt are holding meetings in Gabon. Let's hope they fix things!!!!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Mike, you are right! Take into consideration what people on the ground say, we are the last people who want something to happen to our clients.

Anton, worse case scenario is if you are in the bush, away from Bangui and Air France cancel their flights the options are: change flights and use another airline ( Ethiopia, Kenya ) or stay longer and hunt more Smiler Both are inconveniences, but not the end of the world.

Other flights are still going in and out of Bangui, when Air France cancelled theirs.

The rebel leaders and CAR Gvt are holding meetings in Gabon. Let's hope they fix things!!!!

If you guys decide to give it a go, watch your asses!

Stay safe and looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

Slapchops

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Ladies/Gentleman

Things in CAR do not look great at the moment from an outsiders point of view. The US Embassy has been evacuated, but they are being extra careful, especially after what happened in Libya. I have been going to CAR since 2006 and since 2006 as far as I know there has been a travel warning on CAR. It is not in my best of interest to get anyone killed, including myself. Should one of the companies in CAR lose a client due to Rebel activities, you can be sure that company will go down. We are carefully monitoring the situation on the ground and our partners, CAWA actually live in Bangui with their young children etc. they would also be out of there, if they felt at risk. No money is worth a cliens life and there is always tomorrow. If Air France resume their flights to Bangui, then all is good ( my opinion, everyone is entitled to one ). Worse case scenario is we postpone the first hunts of the year, to monitor what happens. This is an inconvenience for everyone involved, for sure, but I would strongly urge you not to write CAR off for good. The hunting there is some of the best to be had in Africa ( speaking for the areas I hunt in anyway )

I am due to start a hunt with Will Parks in a few days time and we have been in touch with all our clients to keep them informed. We have not pulled the plug on the hunt yet, but will decide by tomorrow.

Happy New year to everyone
Thierry

Maybe you will get to stay home for your first born afterall Thierry!!!!

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thierry Labat:

/QUOTE]

For Will´s wallets sake we hope he can get home after 2 weeks...He can clean up a quota fast, you should know Smiler

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Mbogo577
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your opinions and info on the situation.

I am actually going to be on the same flight with Wil Parks and a few other gentleman, on the 1st of January 2013, from Paris to Bangui.

I am currently a P.H with CAWA Safaris in the Chinko/Mbari Basin of South East C.A.R.

Whether I have clients or not, I plan on going regardless, unless Air France cancels the flight.

I would suggest that anyone that decides to go, should take out Global Rescue with the medical and security option. This is a travel warning, not a travel advisory, which doesn't stop U.S citizens from going to CAR. And this also means that Global Rescue would still evacuate you if you get stranded due to a rebel attack.

If the airlines stop flying and you get stuck in CAR without a flight-out, at least Global Rescue will come to your aid, and move you some where safe- like Nairobi or Addis. This is a good option, regardless, as a safe guard on any safari!

Is is hard to say what is best to do at this moment in time, and the pending Air France flight will obviously determine everything. People on the ground in Bangui are saying that the Saleka rebels have no intention of taking the capital, and want to make the peace talks, now that they have shown their "muscles" to the government. If the peace talks are successful, everything in CAR could go back to normal in no time. If the rebels indeed take Bangui, then it will be a rough ride for a while.....

Here is a quote from a friend of mine and fellow P.H Adam Parkinson:

"The factors that scare tourists from visiting the central african republic- rumors, unrest, rebel activity, lack of capitol,- are also the reasons the country is left so wild and pristine and undeveloped. Central africa will always be my second home"

These words are so true and this is what isolates the Central African Republic, as one of the last true wild hunting destinations in the world. If you can safely get past all the instability and politics, you are rewarded with some of the greatest hunting in all of Africa.

Cawa Safaris had two researchers who carried out a 3 months study throughout the Mbari/Chinko basin last season. From their first study they discovered 62 species of large to medium size mammals, thereof 21 cloven-hoofed species and 10 primate species. This is according to the researcher’s one of the richest areas of biodiversity in Africa.

I would never make the call for someone else, with regards as to what to do in this current situation, but this true wildness and diversity is what I go back for year after year in this crazy and unstable country! I also know that I'm in the best hands with Cawa Safaris and the Mararv family!

Rebel attacks and sieges are common in the C.A.R history and they normally end as fast as they start!

It would be far easier to make a living, for me, as a p.h on a fenced in ranch, in a more stable first world country. I am too much of a traditionalist, adventurist, and purist to ever consider this option though.

If you look at the statistics, think how high the percentage of people that are hurt falling out of a tree stand, hunting whitetail in the States. The number of people that have ever been hurt while on safari in the Central African Republic, is less than one hand full in three decades... I hope I make my point!

I have hunted in the Central African Republic since 1998, and I have never witnessed violence or anything of substantial significance.

Even though the current circumstances are considered a "major rebellion" as we stand, very few people have been killed. Too, it seems the rebels have self discipline, and that they are well taken care of and fed, as you don't hear of the theft and pillaging in the news reports! So although I don't want to be an advocate of "everyone is safe", I think that this whole coup may be over faster than we think.....and life will be back to normal. Then good hunting will prevail, again, in the isolated and remote area's of the Central African Republic!

Thanks, happy new year and kind regards

Mike Fell

Posts: 6 | Location: Tanzania/ Michigan/ C.A.R | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with ya'll.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
GOOD LUCK but hunting in a war zone is beyond my comfort zone... i am too old to do a "run through the jungle" bit. and i would have a hard time accepting "self discipline" as the norm in a bunch of "freedom fighters">>>>

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike and Will, I hope you guys have a great trip and stay safe. From the guys reports on the ground, I think I would likely press on with the trip also. I hunted Zim in late 2008 when things were hot there and never witnessed any issues at all. The safari operators there said all was well and they were correct.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Report Saturday was that the U.S. sent in 50 troops - probably Marines - to secure the evacuation of the U.S. embassy and citizens. Marines don't get sent in for fun or show, so somebody on the ground in Bangui senses the situation is more serious than some here describe. The insertion of armed U.S. Marines into a foreign country far surpasses a travel warning.

I hope it works out if you decide to go forward. I would not be going at this time, but then I've been in combat and understand the chaos that occurs in a shooting war.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I met a Pilot that fly's for a Zim tough Guy who says CAR and Congo are way far from a nice places to fly into let alone visit.
I think I'll stay away civil unrest or not!

Todd,
Zim is Kansas compared to CAR.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to consider regarding the US evacuation is the fallout from Libya. I'm not saying CAR is a safe place for a tourist but, the US Government is going to be overly cautious after loosing embassy personnel in Libya. Politics is a fact these days.

The locals know the situation very well and as mentioned, will look out for their clients interests. While there is a financial motive to get hunters in country, if one client is killed or seriously injured all of them will loose their income for a long time. They have a vested interest in their clients safety and ability to travel into and out of Africa and want to see their clients come and go many time through the years and bring their friends along. Remember its more about long term relationships and word of mouth over a fast buck.

While I can't speak for anyone else, if it was me peronally, I would stay or go based on the advice of people on the ground I trust. It's also worth noting that your PH wants to go home safely to their family too!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I met a Pilot that fly's for a Zim tough Guy who says CAR and Congo are way far from a nice places to fly into let alone visit.
I think I'll stay away civil unrest or not!

Todd,
Zim is Kansas compared to CAR.

Hey Adam,

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you about Zim compared to CAR and Congo but I was only making the comment that at the time I went in 08, everyone was telling me not to go, except the guys on the ground there. My point was that the guys on the ground at the time had a really good handle on how things were and although there was unrest going on, the media reporting that unrest was actively seeking out the trouble spots while we were avoiding them. In many ways, it strikes me as similar to the situation in Mexico right now. With the cartels running wild and the government not being able to control them, I would say most Americans are not even considering hunting there until it all gets straightened out. However, Drummond is taking guys to the Sonoran Desert as we speak and safely knocking down monster Mulies. He and his organization know how to avoid the trouble areas because of local knowledge "on the ground". Aaron just got back from a hunt in Pakistan which is the country that was hiding Bin Laden!! But I certainly wouldn't want anyone to make the decision to go somewhere they are uncomfortable with based on what I would or wouldn't do.

I tend to take pilot SITREPs with a grain of salt. I flew the international division for 8 years while I was an active pilot for AA. On one hand I can say that I've seen a large part of the world but in reality, I've seen a lot of airports and hotels, along with quite a few restaurants and pubs. Not so much outside of that as far as what the local conditions are or were at the time. As an example, I used to fly into Carracas a few times a month. All the crew members I flew with repeated the mantra "Never leave the hotel" and "You'll hear gun shots on the streets all night". It was part of the passdown intel to inform anyone new flying into the city. I asked the concierge one day about sight seeing. He told me where to go and where (and when) to avoid certain areas and I never had a problem there. Turns out the gunshots were fireworks usually set off on Friday nights.

As of yesterday when I made my post, it seemed the "guys on the ground" were stating all was well and based on that, IF I was already booked, I think I would have pressed on. But with Lionhunter's report today that armed US Marines are being deployed to the area, I would rethink that position. If that report is accurate, I would think the local "guys on the ground" intel will take a dramatic turn. I'm sure Will is closely watching the situation and will make intelligent decisions on how to proceed. Bet of luck to him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.reuters.com/article...dUSBRE8BT03M20121230

Central African Republic rebels threaten to enter capital

By Ange Aboa

BANGUI | Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36am EST

(Reuters) - Rebels in Central African Republic could enter the capital Bangui as early as "tonight, or tomorrow morning" if President Francois Bozize refuses their conditions for peace talks, a rebel spokesman said on Sunday.

The three-week-old Seleka rebellion has advanced to within 75 km (45 miles) of Bangui, posing the most serious threat yet to Bozize's nearly 10 years in charge of the turbulent and resource-rich former French colony.

African Union Chairman Thomas Yayi Boni is due to meet Bozize on Sunday to lay the groundwork for peace talks in Gabon with Seleka, an alliance of three armed groups that accuses Bozize of failing to honor a 2007 deal under which members who laid down their guns were meant to be paid.

Seleka said it is demanding direct talks with Bozize along with guarantees of safety for its generals.

"We are waiting to see what comes out of today's meeting between Bozize and ... Yayi Boni before we make a final decision," rebel spokesman Nelson Ndjadder said by telephone from France. "We could march into Bangui tonight or tomorrow morning," he said.

Ndjadder said the rebel force numbered around 3,000 and was growing as new fighters joined during a swift advance from the country's northwest since early December.

The rebel onslaught has highlighted the instability of a country that has remained poor and turbulent since independence from France in 1960, despite rich deposits of uranium, gold and diamonds.

The last time rebels reached Bangui was in 2003 during the insurgency that initially swept Bozize to power.

FEARING THE WORST

Residents in the ramshackle riverside capital have either fled or stockpiled food and water in their homes in preparation for a rebel onslaught.

The streets of the city were largely deserted on Sunday morning save for military patrols and a trickle of churchgoers. Youths carrying machetes had set up makeshift barricades along main roads during a driving ban imposed overnight.

"There is a great deal of fear here now, and people are hiding their belongings and seeking safety," said Genael Dongonbo, a student at Bangui University who hails from the northern town of Bambari. "I'd also like to leave, but I have no money and the rebels have already seized my town."

With a government that holds little sway outside the capital, some parts of the country have long endured the consequences of conflicts spilling over from troubled neighbors Chad, Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Central African Republic is one of a number of countries in the region where U.S. Special Forces are helping local forces try to track down the Lord's Resistance Army, a rebel group which has killed thousands of civilians across four nations.

Regional neighbors agreed on Friday to send more troops to shore up CAR's army after a string of defeats this month, and after French President Francois Hollande rejected a plea for Western military help made by Bozize last week.

The Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS)already has more than 500 peacekeepers in CAR. Officials did not say how many more would be added or when they would arrive.

The United States said on Thursday it had closed its embassy in Bangui and evacuated its staff.

About 1,200 French nationals live in CAR, mostly working for mining firms and aid groups in the capital. French defense ministry sources said Paris had sent 150 troops to Bangui late on Friday to bolster an existing 250-strong deployment safeguarding French citizens.

French nuclear energy group Areva mines the Bakouma uranium deposit in CAR's south - France's biggest commercial interest in its former colony.

(Additional reporting by Richard Valdmanis in Dakar, Paul-Marin Ngoupana in Bangui and Madjiasra Nako in N'Djamena; Editing by Louise Ireland)

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
We've postponed our hunt, which was to be Jan 3-16. I will go in 2014. It was the right thing to do and there was no hesitation on the part of the good people at Northern Operations when it came time to pull the plug on the first group of hunts.

Betsy (who was not going) and I placed great confidence in Dave Rademayer and Thierry Labat to make the right call. In fact, I punted the go - don't go decision to Betsy for her to make in the event that today's official decision was to go forward with the first hunts. I made her read all of the stuff on the web as well as various updates from NOA. I related to her all of the good and bad from my conversations with Dave R. and Thierry.

Surprisingly, having read and heard all of the doom and gloom, she said I should go IF Dave and Thierry said to proceed. Not sure what I would have done if the decision was not made for me this morning, but her opinion was that I was in good and capable hands of people that we trust. I figure that says alot for these men.

In any event, the decision was made for me this AM. Now, I'm all packed with nowhere to go. Perhaps I'll get to Dallas. I'll just have to make sure not to grab the suitcase with the short shorts, vented shirts, gaiters, G2, and sun hats.

Happy New Year to all. Hope to see you in Dallas or Reno.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Air France still flying there?

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Is Air France still flying there?

Apparently so, but via Chad rather than direct.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Mbogo577
posted Hide Post
Here is a more positive news flash from the BBC and hopefully the peace talks are indeed a success:

Central African Republic crisis: Bozize promises coalition

Central African Republic leader Francois Bozize has said he is ready to form a national unity government with rebels, as they continue their advance towards the capital Bangui.

Mr Bozize's remarks came after a meeting with African Union chairman Thomas Boni Yayi.

He said he would hold peace talks with rebels in Gabon, and would step down when his term ended in 2016.

The rebels told the BBC they would consider the president's offer.

They had pledged to depose Mr Bozize unless he negotiated with them, but have also said that it is not their aim to enter government themselves.

Government troops have reportedly pulled back to Damara, 75km from the capital, in the face of a rebel advance, but rebel spokesman Eric Massi told the BBC they would not march on Bangui itself before seeing the outcome of the talks.

BBC Africa editor Mary Harper says they are insisting that they do not want to take over, but rather are seeking a peaceful democratic transition.

But such a transition is unlikely, and meanwhile President Bozize is growing weaker both politically and militarily by the minute, our editor adds.

"I am ready to form a government of national unity with Seleka to run the country together, because I am a democrat," Mr Bozize said at a news conference after his meeting with Mr Boni Yayi, quoted by Reuters.

He said he was ready to attend the Gabon talks "without condition and without delay".

Posts: 6 | Location: Tanzania/ Michigan/ C.A.R | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Will.

It would be interesting to know what they know. I am a bit surprised.