Find
Notify
Tools

How do you carry you rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
So what's the verdict, anyone go for the old 'balanced over the shoulder' FC Selous routine? I am sure many people will claim that they hold their gun at port arms, but this is impossible to do (for me anyway) where there is very thick bush or in unlikely areas.
I either hold onto it with one hand, or balance it in the crook of my arm.
BTW when exactly did gunbearers become extinct? I don't know many hunters that want the tracker holding the scoped rifle, although after a few hours some of us do 'give him a go'...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I believe I read somewhere that in old Africa the gunbearer walked in front of the client with the double on his shoulder so Ph or client could pick up rifle already in a raised position and muzzles pointing forward...

On my last safari I insisted to carry rifle exclusively..I wanted it in my hands for instant operation and also to know if it was banged or not...I only handed it to trackers when I climbed down from truck and back into raised seat in back of vehicle...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry mine balanced over my shoulder or by the scope I do not like slings, but they sure are nice at the range carring more than one rifle. And as much as I do not like to admit, in steep country they come in handy also.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I carry it in my hands, or in the crook of my elbow, or over my shoulder "Africa-style", or on a sling (if we're climbing or crossing water).
I move it around as necessary.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can understand the reluctance to carry a slung rifle in Gangerous Game country, but how do you guys use your bino's? Are you relying on the PH or tracker spotting the game??

Carrying a rifle at low port across the body is quite possible; in fact its the only way to carry it as far as the military goes. However it is a little easier with a typical black rifle because of the pistol grip, but it still means you can't effectively glass...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does "low port" mean?

I usually carry my rifle in the crook of my arm or use both hands (the butt low so that I just have to lift it to my shoulder). On this years trip I lost the screw on my backsling so I couldn�t use the sling which was just as well...

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only accurate answer is that it depends on the situation. Generally speaking I'll sling the rifle on my shoulder will on a march in the open or in my right hand when in the bush. If my shoulder gets tired I will carry it cupped in my right arm to starboard and on final stalks it will be at the ready barrel up. Regardless, I will never carry guns loose on my shoulder barrel pointing horizontially back or front.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago I was told of a really well known PH who was carrying his double rifle .. holding on to the barrels .. stock to the rear over his shoulder .. going through some brush the rifle went off ... killing one tracker .. and wounding another .. He was thrown in jail for a few days but eventually released ... Later I saw videos of him elephant hunting with the same double rifle .. But now he has it on a sling ..barrel facing to the sky .. Actually I like carrying a rifle over my shoulder .. with the barrels pointing horizontally forward ... Of course, no one in front ... that is a given !!! Also, on only one trip did I let someone carry my heavy rifle .. It was hot and tough walking .. the chap suggested that he didn't want my arms weary when it came time to shoot ... (This was not in heavy bush where something might be ready to eat a Canadian ) It actually made sense at the time ...

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Crewe,

Butt in the shoulder, muzzle facing down and across the body at about 45deg..one hand on the pistol grip and the other on the forearm...basically all you need to do is raise he muzzle to fire. Muzzle should always cover where you are looking (only pointing at the ground) because you were taught to kind turn the body rather thean just you're head if you get what I mean.. Another variation was to hook both thumbs into your belt and carry the rifle almost horizontally across the body so the forearm is nestled in the crook of your left arm and right hand still controls/holds the pistol grip...the butt is *not* in the shoulder but sort up near the right bicep..Looks similar to the first, but was always considered "sloppy" /"lazy"...

Of course these sourced again from the military...but if it could be done with a 9lb (?) SLR (FN Fal) for days at a time, a hunter really has no excuse for a) not carrying his own rifle b) having it reasonably at the ready...

Regards

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Pete,

One of those bino systems with it attached against your chest and a small set of binos will never be in your way...
As for carrying in open country I all carried with magazine full empty chamber and when actively on a stalk loaded up the spout..In dangerous country it will be loaded and carried in a safe manor...sling off so not to catch on any branches....

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
In my opinion, the "African carry" or over-the-shoulder, muzzle-forward position is bullshit, and violates any number of gun safety rules. Don't you just love it when the muzzle of someone's rifle covers you or else covers someone else in your party, such as a tracker or game scout? It looks stylish though, doesn't it?

Style or no, I carry my rifle over-the-shoulder, muzzle pointed up and to the rear (NO ONE is covered by the muzzle!), and if the PH doesn't have anything against slings, I prefer to carry the rifle by a sling, over my shoulder, with the muzzle pointed straight up.

How'd that poem in the Ruger ads conclude?

"All the pheasants ever bred won't repay for one man dead?"

AD

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
With a bolt action rifle, when I'm actually closing in on game it's in both hands in field ready position. When just covering ground it's usually on a sling, American carry (behind the shooting side shoulder, muzzle up) or in a shooting grip with the forearm in the crook of my support arm. When approaching large or dangerous game that's been shot and is down, I like to use high ready (butt in shoulder, muzzle slightly depressed) in case a quick shot is needed.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On using binos while carrying rifle: Sling the Binos diagonally across the body and put them between ribs and upper arm on the non-dominant side. The length of the bino strap is adjusted so you can use the off hand to reach up and bring the glasses to your eyes as you look at whatever. To do more serious glassing, put your rifle up on the dominant shoulder, muzzle forward (with no one in front of it) and put your dominant forearm over the barrel and your hand on the glasses for two hand support. Real serious glassing means a seated position or leaning against a tree.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I can understand the reluctance to carry a slung rifle in Gangerous Game country, but how do you guys use your bino's? Are you relying on the PH or tracker spotting the game??

but it still means you can't effectively glass...

Regards, Pete

Pete, I carry my binocs with a longer than normal strap, and over my neck, and left arm. The Binocs under my left arm. This keeps the binos from swinging around, and out of the way. I carry my rifle African style, most of the time, over my right shoulder with the muzzle pointing at a 45 Deg angle to the right. When I need to look with my binocs I keep the muzzels in my right hand, and the weight of my rifle ballanced over my shoulder, steadies my binocs. This is extremly steady, even with 10 X binocs. I hate to admit it, but, Mark Sullivan also carries his the same way, and the practice can be seen in any of his films. I always have a sling available for long tracking jobs, though I take it off, and give it to a tracker when the stalk starts. I'm another one who likes to carry his own rifle, as much as possible! Trackers, have a habit of disapereing into thin air when a sudden conforntation is stumbled onto. They usually take what ever they have in their hands with them, up the nearest tree!

PS; You will hear al sorts of condimnation of the African carry, as being unsafe, Don't worry, it is not any more unsafe that any other carry method! It is just you need to make sure you don't point you rifle at anyone, no matter how you carry. carried properly, The muzzles are not pointing dirrectly in front of you, but at a 45 deg angle to the right, or left, depending on which you are, right, or left handed! People stepping in front of a shooter just as he shoots , letting a tracker carry a loaded rifle, or someone trying to shoot a lion, or Leopard off someone, is responsible for more gun deaths in Africa than anything! I can't think of one case where the African carry was responcible for a death, though there could have been!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anyway you find comfortable.

Personally, I don't like slings, so I carry my rifle over my shoulders. Either over one or both.

I don't like anyone else to carry my rifle.

I follow a simple proceedure. I chamber a round as I get out of the truck, and put the safety on. The rifle stays that way until we either return to the truck, or kill an animal. At which point the chambered round gets removed.

Any time we are in the bush, the rifle is loaded with the safety on.

I learnt that from my friend Roy Vincent, with whom I have hunted 12 times so far.

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mostly I carry my rifles either in a sling over my right shoulder (shooting shoulder), muzzle to the sky or holding the butt with the barrel over my right shoulder, muzzle pointing to the sky. When I'm stalking on the other hand I like to keep the rifle butt at my shoulder with the muzzle forward just to be ready to take a quick shot, if the opertunity quickly presents itself I don't want to throw it away. When I finally get the money for my double I think the most comfortable position would be in the crook of the arm...

M82A1

Posts: 23 | Location: Canberra, ACT Australia | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Thanks for the info. I guess I carry my rifle in the "sloppy, lazy" fashion...

And my wife would probably use those exact words to describe my persona!

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on the type of gun too...the heavier my piece, the more I find myself shifting its position from arm to arm, shoulder to shouler etc to prevent my arms becoming jello! I know that many Europeans carry the slinged rifle with the muzzle pointing down, but I find that useful only if it is raining and I am careful not to damage the muzzle.

-One of you mentioned holding it by the scope? Wouldn't this be a risky grip? I guess I am old-fashioned but I still don't let anything but air touch my scope unless I am sighting in.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slung over left shoulder with left hand on forearm. Can be brought to bear almost as quickly as high port but less tiresome.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the real world during the course of a day I will carry my gun in about every conceivable position there is as I sore up and fatigue...

I like the African carry very much, but I agree with Allan, one must be carefull with that carry and mindfull of where the muzzle is pointed especially when walking in line as is typical in Africa...

I do not use a sling much, but I usually have one in my pack or coat, just in case as they are handy on a belly crawl stalk in the high grass...

As to carryhing binocs I am positive on that one...I make 1" webbing slings and carry my binocs in the African style of over my right shoulder, and under my left armpit just above my belt, just like the frontiersman carried their powder horn...I can carry them this way all day long without any fatigue and they are always immediately available and handy and they will also hang in front on my chest if I move them to that position...I cannot imagine any other carry for binocs...Some of these "harnesses" are an absolute joke IMO....

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have to disagree with your method of carrying binos. It works in the sunshine, but otherwise it simply isn't up to much. I like the ocular lenses covered and also like to be able to zip them under my coat when it is snowing, raining, when I'm laying prone, or crawling. Immediate access isn't an issue as glassing is fairly deliberate, and when it comes time to use them, I want them clean. Oh, I layer so keep them under the outer layer to prevent fogging.

I agree with the harness assessment. Useless.

Chuck

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The correct answer is: (d) All of the above.

Especially as you get more and more tired.

The key is to observe the Golden Rule of gun handling: Keep the small round end pointed only at what you intend to kill or wouldn't mind destroying.

As for binos, the newer bino harnesses are the best. The bino is kept snug against your chest, even when you're crawling around on all fours.

Plus, it's always at hand when you need it. Beats the old strap around the neck method all to hell.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ray, I like the ocular lenses covered and also like to be able to zip them under my coat when it is snowing,
I agree with the harness assessment. Useless.

Chuck

I don't think I've ever hunted in a snow storm in Africa, maybe I just forgot it!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Crewe,

These days I am even lazier and sloppier as 99% time my rifle is "slung"...But there again, the worst that can happen to me to to watch a deer bounding off into the bush as I try to unsling it...Not so the guys in the military nor too a certain extent the guys who hunt around toothy stuff.

For our style of stalking you use your binos more or less constantly ie every few steps. While glassing with one hand is possible, like shooting with a pistol, generally you are far better with two and if you can use a support, like your stalking sticks, so much the better. In this style of stalking you are relying on spotting the game in advance rather than walking em up and hitting them with a snap shot.

Tims solution sounds workable but like any other technique would take a while to get used too.

For those folks who don't like slings, why? Is it because you find they snag? Or simply because it takes extra time/movement to mount the rifle?

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
For my use there is a place for a sling and there is a place to remove it. I shoot with a hasty sling so usually have one attached to the rifle. I also find that I'm not always hunting while carrying a rifle (ie walking in the dark, covering some open country, climbing a mountain.....) Here I find a sling a handy device especially when two hands are required for other things.

Chuck

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
Maybe you should try my carry before you speak, and apparantly you have not, I carry them under my jacket in Idaho and they lay flat on my chest if I want them there for handy, or against my hip, or anywhere in between...In Africa under a safari jacket or exposed. I never tire and do not have to deal with neck and shoulder pain after days of carrying them...

It is the accepted method of carry by 95% of the PHs (and thats a conservative figure), They introduced me to this method of carry and I will never use any other way...Check it out in the book Nyati by Doctori where he describes it in detail, and give it a try...

I did try the harnesses and am contemptable of them, felt like a trussed goose in them...

To each his own, but I am open to trying any thing out there and have tried most of them I suspect....

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have carried my binos that way, and prefer not to. My hunting buddy does it your way and likes it very much. I just find it awkward anywhere but on the outside. However, it sounds like I might want to lengthen the strap. Maybe? Anyway, as you say, to each their own.

Where might I find a copy of this book? Safari Press?

Chuck

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I carry my rifle in a sling, slung over my shoulder. If I begin to get tired, I switch shoulders. I also like to carry it by holding the barrel and balancing it on my shoulder. This is mostly done when I'm walking dried-out river beds early in the season, doesn't work that great for mountain climbing. When I've been out for a few days, haven't seen anything, and I'm starting to feel tired, I drap the rifle accross both shoulders and flip my arms over the barrel/stock. Helps rest both my arms at the same time.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I carry my binos like Ray, but the best thing I have found is to pull down on the strap so the binos ride towards the small of your back. They take the same amount of time to use but it really keeps them out of the way and they don't bounce around. The only thing is you have to tug on the strap every few minutes to keep the binos there.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
On my two plains game hunts I carry the same way as I do at home. Rifle slung over the shoulder with a cartridge up the spout, safety on.

Binos over one shoulder and accross the body. I made my own bino strap out of an OD seat belt. It is long enough for the binos to hang just above the hip and slippy enough to brings the binos up with one hand in complete silence. When crawling the binos sit somewhere near my left "love handle".

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading in one african hunting book (don't remember which...) that a hunter should pick a position and then carry it like that, and only that. I guess the logic is supposedly that getting it into a firing position will be quicker because you'll be used to the "rutine" movement from that one single position...

Maybe I'm a wimp, but I don't do that at all. I switch around a lot during a day to keep from getting one shoulder, hand, arm etc. fatigued. It changes between crook of my arm, to slinged (switching shoulder from time to time), and then in my hands evey now and then. This is while walking. When things look like somethings going to soon happen, I hold the butt in my shoulder with the muzzle pointed "half down / half forward". This is generally most comfortable with a pistolgrip, but I find it works fine with a regular rifle too.

I'm very security concience when it comes to where my muzzle is pointing, not to mention where other peoples are pointing if they're behind me...

Erik D.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Oslo, in the naive land of socialist nepotism and corruption... | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After first couple of African trips, I gave up on binos. They are too awkward and I usually do not know what I am looking at anyway. If something special is seen, I use the PH's binos. Or, you can let one of the trackers carry them. The overshoulder rifle carry is ok and I try to keep the rifle at a 45 degree angle to the line of march.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Rifle with strap and quick release uncle mike system.
binos under left arm.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my plains game hunt last year I used a sling and the Gunslinger Corral when doing extensive walking or climbing up [or down] the "hills".
The Gunslinger is a hook attached to the back of your belt which captures your rifle at the wrist area. Transfers the weight to your hips from your shoulder - it really does make a difference.
Not suitable for thick bush or in the heat of the stalk but super on a hike.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sling is the safe way to go period. If you're in brush and frequently bending over, American Carry, (muzzle up on strong side) will point it at those in front. In this instance African Carry (muzzle down on support side per Col. Cooper) may be better because your support hand can grab the forearm and control the muzzle as you bend down.

Fast? My wife has been a rifle shooter for three weeks starting tomorrow, and thanks to Gunsite training, she can pull off an aimed shot in under two seconds from either sling position. Four to five seconds if she has to go to sitting or prone. Add another second and she's gotten into her Ching sling for support. (Thanks Eric)

Summation, get a little professional training, and you'll be safer and MUCH faster using a slung. Of course this doesn't apply to following up a wounded animal. Low or Indoor ready in that application.

Safe Hunting
Clint

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my right hand, no sling. I can shoulder it in a fraction of a second and be on target a second after, if I keep my eyes focused on the animal. Getting off fast aimed accurate shots is more a matter of target acquisition, not how you carry. Most experienced hunters know where their hands are and how to get the gun up and in position quickly. On my last safari, on the last day, after running/jogging for 3 miles tracking a wounded Blesbok (he stepped forward as the trigger broke on the first shot) I was able to get a snap shot at 100 yds. and took him through the heart on the second shot, albeit was about an hour later. From right hand to his demise took all of maybe 1.5 seconds, as I was ready, focused and very weary of any more running after the bugger.

Slings just get in the way and get tangled in the bush. I have a 9-shot cartridge holder on the buttstock and the mag full when I step away from the cruiser to stalk.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My wife has been a rifle shooter for three weeks starting tomorrow, and thanks to Gunsite training, she can pull off an aimed shot in under two seconds from either sling position. Four to five seconds if she has to go to sitting or prone. Add another second and she's gotten into her Ching sling for support. (Thanks Eric)

Safe Hunting
Clint

Clint:
Welcome to AR and I'm always glad to hear from a satisfied user!

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Count me a satisfied as well. Both my 375 and 30'06 will both be wearing Safari Ching Slings in RSA next month.

I used on last fall and I find it very handy.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Eric,

Count me a satisfied as well. Both my 375 and 30'06 will both be wearing Safari Ching Slings in RSA next month.

I used on last fall and I find it very handy.

-Steve

Very glad to hear of your positive experience, Steve. I'll be taking one to Africa later this month on my Blaser, and I used a prototype in 2002 on my .376 Steyr Scout.

one of us
posted Hide Post
O real good idea is the new Safari Sling. It attaches to the normal mounts ,then 2 loops go around the forend and buttstock so that the rifle is carried the right way up. With the rifle carried over the shoulder/behind the neck ,its very quick to lift the rifle up into action ,with much less swinging and pivoting around. The gun is always at Port Arms position and is comfortable. It doesnt stick up too high when crawling through the bush either.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote