Notify
Tools

You guys don't have a clue!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Cool video.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mvu:

There is no doubt that it (the hunt) is doable.I have read accounts of such hunts written by one of the Blackbeards of Botswana.

The "The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana"is a fine reference for this thread. The Blackbeard family for three generations have always used the San Bushmen for trackers. In that book there are several stories about the "MAGIC" of their hunting/tracking skills. A very good read for more than the Bushmen. The Blackbeard family started the safari business in Botswana, long before anyone else. Saeed was the very generous doner for my collector's copy of this fine book. A book I treasure, not only because I know some of the blackbeard family, but because it was an autographed gift from Saeed!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Darn, I knew there was a reason I started running Ultras. I will think about this video, and envision myself as part of it when I am running my 50 mile race tomorrow in the Nevada heat.

I would love to participate in a hunt like that.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Mvu:

There is no doubt that it (the hunt) is doable.I have read accounts of such hunts written by one of the Blackbeards of Botswana.

The "The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana"is a fine reference for this thread. The Blackbeard family for three generations have always used the San Bushmen for trackers. In that book there are several stories about the "MAGIC" of their hunting/tracking skills. A very good read for more than the Bushmen. The Blackbeard family started the safari business in Botswana, long before anyone else. Saeed was the very generous doner for my collector's copy of this fine book. A book I treasure, not only because I know some of the blackbeard family, but because it was an autographed gift from Saeed!

I want one too, a gift that is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know guys who have hunted whitetail in the snow like this.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the guys in video. Karoha is the one who kills the kudu and the old bald guy is Tanaxu. They’re from Kaecae in southern Ghanzi District. I hunted with them and from the photo you can see they don’t walk when tracking they jog when trying to catch up to the game. They don’t just track, they become the animal, stopping to touch leaves where the animals had browsed and thinking where the animals are going. The old man Xanate, with Karoha in the other picture, after tracking kudu for several hours, just changed directions 90 degree and in a 1/2 mile we can upon the kudu. But the thing is he’d never been to the farm before so how’d he know where they were?

The real shame is there are no longer any Bushmen still living a true hunter/gatherer lifestyle, that ended 40 to 50 years ago. While there are still many Bushmen living in remote areas and dependent of gathering veld foods, they have almost no opportunities to hunt large game anymore. The old men, who really survived as hunters are dying out, rapidly, their unique knowledge is going to be lost forever.

The Bushmen culture is being assaulted on all sides. In addition to HIV/AIDS there is inter-racial marriage; alcoholism; an educational system that only teaches Setswana and English and, for reasonable logistical reasons, requires Bushmen children to live far from home in hostels taking them away from of their culture and native language; overgrazing in traditional veld food gathering areas; and the loss of hunting opportunities. While these are complicated problems many indigenous people face around the world, it still is a shame.

Posts: 44 | Location: New York | Registered: 06 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/re.../05/090514084115.htm

Looks like the Neandertals used a similar skill set when hunting.
These seem to have stood mankind in good stead for the best part of a million years.
Its a great shame that they are dying out now.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote