THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    URGENT - Kathi, Gracy Travel & Hunters

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

URGENT - Kathi, Gracy Travel & Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
This is a VERY URGENT message for all those contemplating flying with guns/rifles using [ Nationwide Air ] out from Johannesburg to Livingstone in Zambia.

WE have heard the SOB'iches WONT take rifles on the flights anymore, we used them previously with no problem.

We had a client group whom had to yesterday change their flight using British Air from Jo-burg to Vic Falls on the Zimbabwe side of the border and then we had to arrange for someone from Livingstone to drive across the border with their rifle permits to prove they were in transit ... THE JOYS OF AFRICA ..

Can some kind souls please follow up maybe with Gracy or Kathi and see if the policy is (set in concrete) as they [ Nationwide Air ] need a revving up big time if it is true ...

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Peter. I have used them several times before with no problem. I usually flew with them from Durban to Joburg. Wonder what has changed their attitude?

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Follow up email reply I rec'd from Nationwide in Johannesburg ....

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your e-mail with enquiry regarding hunting rifles, we wish to
confirm that Nationwide Airlines does not accept any firearms at all on any
or our flights.

Best regards
Linda
Linda Graber
Marketing Executive
Nationwide Airlines (Pty) Ltd

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
"Dear Miss Graber,

I wish your airlines the quickest and shortest road to bankruptcy."

This sort of thing really pisses me off.

If a company is involved in dealing with the public, I think it should not be allowed to have any rules that stop law abiding citizens from doing anything that is not illegal.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Saeed

I have looked around and found out that Comair / a subsidery of BA apparantly flies from [ Jo-burg to Livingstone ] on Wed Frid and Sunday's, so am investigating that as a fall back option, as I dont like my clients to go via Vic Falls airport in Zimbabawe if humanly possible as there are various bulls..t red tape and visa rip offs to contend with in transit & with the added logistical hassles to get the clients over the border from Vic Falls into Livingstone all adds to the stress levels

Regards, Peter

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Follow up email reply I rec'd from Nationwide in Johannesburg ....

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your e-mail with enquiry regarding hunting rifles, we wish to

confirm that Nationwide Airlines does not accept any firearms at all on any

or our flights.

Best regards

Linda

Linda Graber

Marketing Executive

Nationwide Airlines (Pty) Ltd

I have seen this sort of thing before and sometimes it is one persons personal agenda and beliefs which have influenced the decision. Not for the benefit of customers. Not for the benefit of shareholders. Only their personal BS agenda.

(The National Marketing Manager of Toyota in Australia, Mr Gerry Fuliano, in 1987 did the same and pulled all hunting magazine advertising or at least one hunting clubs advertising. As "there was no fucking way he was going to contribute to the killing of animals" in his own words to me at a dinner in Adelaide. See I have a long memory. ;-) )

I think publishing these sorts of decisions and policies as widely as possible is the best response so this airline can be black-banned by all shooters and hunters for sporting and any other business which in Africa must be reasonably substantial.

The end of the business or the end of the individuals job is a desirable outcome.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Posting this for reference / informational purposes. There is a "Contact Us" section on the web site.

Nationwide Airlines
http://www.flynationwide.co.za/

(It's a slow web site, at least it was for me.)

History
Founded in 1991 by CEO Vernon Bricknell Nationwide Airlines is a privately owned company, initially as a charter company, providing charter services within Africa for the United Nations and the World Food Programme, as well as other ad-hoc passenger and cargo charters.

The Airline was established in 1995 to provide a domestic scheduled service and is now one of three major airline carriers in South Africa. The Airline is one of four companies within the Nationwide Air Group, the others being Nationwide Aircraft Charter, Nationwide Aircraft Maintenance and Nationwide Aircraft Support. The group currently employs over 700 personnel.

Nationwide Airlines enjoys a revenue share of more than 10% of the South African Market. Started primarily as a leisure airline, it has now developed a very strong corporate passenger base, which now outweighs the leisure travel by 60/40.

I think that first sentence says a lot about their political orientation, IMHO. No surprise that they are anti-gun.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
KLM was starting to make travel with firearms more difficult some years back, and there was a concerted letter-writing and telephone campaign by hunters (SCI and Don Causey worked together on this).

The result was a statement by one the VP in charge of U.S. operations (at the time, don't know if he is still in charge) that hunters traveling with firearms could contact his office directly at the onset of any problems and they would be resolved immediately.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

If you want to express some displeasure with the no guns policy there is an office in the USA, contact details below:

USA & Canada

Ronnie Harris
10224 North Port Washington Road
Mequon
WI 53092

Toll free: 866 686-6558
Tel: 262 241 3112
Fax 262 241-6379
e-mail: sales@nationwideair-usa.com

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

Help is on it's way ... this is the alternate option flying into Livingstone using [ Comair / BA ] out of Johannesburg

Regards, Peter

-----------------

day-1= monday, day-2 = tuesday, etc

GOOD DAY TO YOU

OUR FLTS JNB LVI IS ON

DAYS 3 AND 5 DEP JNB 1055 ARR 1230

DAYS 7 DEP 0950 ARR 1135

LVI JNB IS ON

DAYS 3 AND 5 AND 7 DEP 1305 ARR 1445

ONLY HUNTING RIFLES ARE ALLOWED AS LONG AS IT IS PACKED IN A PROPER CASE AND LOCKED

AMMUNITION MUST BE PACKED SEPERATELY AND BOTH RIFLE AND AMMUNITION WILL GO AS CHECKED BAGGAE

PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME SHOULD YOU REQUIRE ANY OTHER INFORMATION

REGARDS

ELEANOR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Comair Limited

http://www.comair.co.za/

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess that Kathi is currently on a trip now, hence, not available to respond. I'm also going to predict that she doesn't do much booking with Nationwide Airlines. I double-checked the itinerary she arranged for me as I go back and forth in RSA to two different po-dunk locations this October and it's all SAA.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Yes, I am on Holiday trout fishing in Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico....

I do not use Nation Wide for clients with firearms because of their policy.

Kathi

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote