THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My Latest African Hunting Fixed Blade From Carlton Evans
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Latest African Hunting Fixed Blade From Carlton Evans
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I just received pics of my latest African fixed blade hunting knife from renowned Knifemaker Carlton Evans. The handle is wooly mammoth ivory, with greenish streaks throughout the handle. The blade is stainless damascus. It is a simple knife, functional and beautiful. Note the design on the knife scabbard. You only live once!

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
UEG, beautiful knife. When are you bringing it to our great continent?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be there for three weeks in July. Namibia and South Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is definately a
quote:
wet your pants
magnificent knife,Im very jealous,congrats.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be there for three weeks in July. Namibia and South Africa.

Who will you be hunting with?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am scheduled to hunt with Brad Rolston. We are going to try and locate Mr. Spots, and then hunt some additional plains game that I have not yet taken.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beauty is as beauty does and that being the case, that is one beautiful knife that I am sure will be a joy in the field.

PS: Tell Brad I said "Hey"!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
A knife for a lifetime. Do you intend to use it or just display it?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beatiful knife, as nice as I have seen in awhile.

Please dont' let an African skinner use it and sharpen it on a piece of sandstone! Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I intend to use it. I also have a lot of firearms that I am sure were intended for display, and to remain boxed for value, but I purchased them to shoot and to enjoy, and it will be the same with the knife. Why let someone else enjoy it after you're gone!? Ray: Thanks and I will make sure not to let the trackers and skinners get ahold of it. I had that happen once before-never again. Bwanamrm: I will say "Hey" to Brad for you!

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Very nice knife...could be one of the best I have ever seen.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What do you use a knife for on safari?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
A fabulous piece of workmanship. I'm jealous.

Here's Carlton's link if anyone wants a peak at his other work.

Carlton Evans Knives

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Last year my knife was used by the Professional Hunter to finish taking the two horns off of my rhino. He needed a longer blade to get under the horns to finish the job. We also used it on the hippo that I took. We used it to cut rope and to help us construct a small blind for hippo hunting. I used it around the camp for various and sundry things when the skinners or trackers weren't hanging around. Plus, I like the feel of having my own knife on my belt and within my reach especially when I'm walking in strange places at night. . . By the way, Carlton has just recently started his African series of knives, and this is one of his first. He did a handle with both elephant ivory and cape buffalo horn on one and it was very beautiful as well.

One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Very nice.

I commissioned him make up a couple for me (folder and fixed blade) and like you enjoy using them for their intended purposes.

What blade length did you select?

Again, congratulations on a mighty fine knife.

Regards,

Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Holy Garoly, that is a beautiful piece. That is real art.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
UEG,

I would not worry too much about the skinners getting their hands on it but the PH's. Man I would fall in love with it with the first feel and then you will have to pry it out of my hands.

I have never seen anything like it very nice piece and hopefully it will be used for yo9ur mr Spots. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look like a couple of good trophy fees.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario: I believe that the blade length is either 4.30" or 4.50". Safari-Hunt: Yes, I hope to use it on Mr. Spots and others this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful knife.....well done!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful pieces of craftsmaship UEG, on par with your lion! Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Is the blade, a Damasteel twist pattern?

Cheers.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my fixed blades from Kelly Carlson.

www.carlsonknives.com

Infinity pattern Damasteel, Eggerling Mosaic bolsters, and carbon fiber scales.

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
THAT thumb IS A BEAUTY!

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pattern is 20 twist Damasteel. By the way, very nice knife Blair! Mario: My first Carlton Evans knife was a Mario D, named after you I have been told!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG,

I thought it might be 20 twist.............very nice pattern and a lovely knife!! thumb

Kelly Carlson is looking for some unusual stainless Damascus for me at the big blade show in June.

He is going to make me a skinner with whatever interesting steel he finds there and use STABILISED STING RAY for the scales, which he has perfected up there in NH.........can't wait to see the results. Big Grin thumb

He's a great bloke to deal with, he was with your SF's in Vietnam.

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thornell:
THAT thumb IS A BEAUTY!

Thanks thornell.

It is fully fileworked as well. And the CF scales have been bead blasted along with the first 1.1/2 inches of the blade being checkered at 50 LPI............even a very wet hand won't slip on it!!

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG,

A folder by Kelly Carlson with the stabilised Sting Ray scale I was talking about. Damasteel Blade. thumb

As well as a fixed blade in D2 and Stingray.......

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my ignorance but how do you make a Damascus STAINLESS steel knife. Don't you introduce carbon on the folds of a Damascus knife? Would this change the metallurgy of the steel? Thanks.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG

That really is a good looking knife, one of the best I've seen.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was very much surprised to see my sheath posted here with Carlton's knife. The very best surprise was the accidental introduction to this site. I have spent the last couple of days just soaking up good information all over the site.

The damascus and carbon fiber knife just posted is fantastic, as is the Carlton Evans knife above.

Thanks for letting me into this great site!

Paul

Posts: 2 | Location: Kerrville, TX USA | Registered: 16 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Paul, you do great work on your knife sheaths. I believe that Carlton told me that my sheath design (above) was based, in part, on a Zulu Shield. Pegleg: I am not a metalurgist, but I have been told that it is stainless damascus. I also know that commercially, Bear Cutlery also offers stainless damascus knives as well.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Pual: Can you please post your contact and web info? thanks, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jorge; I hope this in not in violation of any rules. If so the Mod can delete it immediately.

Paul Long
108 Briarwood Ln. W
Kerrville, Texas 78028-9311
(830) 367 5536
pfl@cebridge.net

I do not have a web site, but my work is displayed on many web sites including Carlton Evans (link above in first post)

UEG: Your knife is indeed stainless damascus. It has been in my shop and I have fondled it.

Paul

Posts: 2 | Location: Kerrville, TX USA | Registered: 16 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For any others that may be interested, you now have the contact information in this post for both knifemaker Carlton Evans and sheathmaker Paul Long. Both are master crafstman of the highest order, as well as just great guys!

One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
Thanks to UEG's inspiration, I will get with Cartlon and Paul to build up a new knife for my trip to SA next year.

As you can see from UEG's post Carlton and Paul are master craftsmen, here are a couple of more examples of their work.

If this works, the first is a folder Carlton made up for me in 2005. The second is a fixed blade Carlton made up for me in 2006.
Both sheaths are by Paul.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Welcome Paul, you do great work on your knife sheaths. I believe that Carlton told me that my sheath design (above) was based, in part, on a Zulu Shield. Pegleg: I am not a metalurgist, but I have been told that it is stainless damascus. I also know that commercially, Bear Cutlery also offers stainless damascus knives as well.

Damasteel is a sintered stainless Damascus from Sweden. To bring out the pattern the blade must be etched.

Other makers, who make higher contrast stainless Damascus, are Mike Norris, Devin Thomas and Jerry Rados.

If you want extremely high contrast Damascus, then you have to go with the traditional carbon/nickel blends.............

Blair.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the great comments, I have made some great friends in this business. I did want to answer a few questions about the Damascus that I use. I like to use Stainless Steel Damascus because it has integrity with a great cutting edge. It is corrosion resistant. No two patterns are the same, it has durability and great beauty. "Stainless" does not mean that the steel is absolutely stain or rust proof. Every steel will rust, corrode or stain to some degree if subjected to extremes of temperature, moisture, acids, salts or other corrosives elements. Saying all of this even Stainless Steel should have a light coat of oil applied. I use Devin Thomas Damascus, Mike Norris Damascus and Damasteel Damascus because I believe they make the great quality Stainless Steel Damascus. There are other fine craftsman that make stainless Damascus, but the ones that I named are the ones that I currently use. Thank you again for all the comments, because if it wasn't for the great hunters out there, Paul Long and I would not be able to follow our passions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A welcome to you too Carlton. Hope that you and Paul make many friends here and enjoy AR like the rest of us. By the way, as a subsequent modification to this post, I got the knife this afternoon and it is more than I expected!