THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My Latest African Hunting Fixed Blade From Carlton Evans
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Latest African Hunting Fixed Blade From Carlton Evans
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlton:
Thank you for all the great comments, I have made some great friends in this business. I did want to answer a few questions about the Damascus that I use. I like to use Stainless Steel Damascus because it has integrity with a great cutting edge. It is corrosion resistant. No two patterns are the same, it has durability and great beauty. "Stainless" does not mean that the steel is absolutely stain or rust proof. Every steel will rust, corrode or stain to some degree if subjected to extremes of temperature, moisture, acids, salts or other corrosives elements. Saying all of this even Stainless Steel should have a light coat of oil applied. I use Devin Thomas Damascus, Mike Norris Damascus and Damasteel Damascus because I believe they make the great quality Stainless Steel Damascus. There are other fine craftsman that make stainless Damascus, but the ones that I named are the ones that I currently use. Thank you again for all the comments, because if it wasn't for the great hunters out there, Paul Long and I would not be able to follow our passions.

thumb

Cheers, Carlton.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knives, all. Thank you for posting.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
What does something like that first knife cost?

It's a thing of beauty for sure!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It depends on the design and the materials that you decide upon with Carlton's advice. As an example, the blade type and material (plain stainless steel or a myriad of patterns of stainless damascus to choose from); the different handle material (i.e. elephant ivory, cape buffalo horn, giraffe bone, mother of pearl, black pearl, fossil mammoth ivory, fossil walrus ivory, exotic woods, etc.); whether you want the knife to be a full tang or not( with possible designs to be used in the spine of the knife if less than a full tang design, etc). Or, any other custom work on the knife that you might desire and that Carlton can put into the knife. If you are interested, contact Carlton directly for a quote and you can discuss everything with him. He will gladly talk to you. I was looking at his latest brochure today when my knife arrived and he had a number of different African designs that I had not seen. One is called the Safari Caper, another the Serengeti Hunter, another the Zambezi Hunter and then mine, called the Tanzania Hunter. Let's just say, as was said earlier above in this thread, that a couple of good trophy fees might equal the cost of a great knife from Carlton Evans and a sheath from Paul Long. But, when you see, handle and feel the worksmanship of Carlton's knife and that of Paul's in the custom made sheath, you realize that it is all worth it.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Ok, I talked to him. Looks like something similar to what you had made would be in that $1500-2500 range.

Which I wouldn't mind if we were talking about a custom rifle. For a knife to me, that's probably not something I would do.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote