Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy room adventures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted
So I'm switching channels and come across the above mentioned show. They are in RSA and the show host wounds a sable with his bow, next thing you know he is in a helicopter with a rifle and finishes off the animal..... Lands the copter, gets in a cruiser, drives to the animal and poses with his bow and trophy.

Am I missing something? Who would film such a thing then show it?

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
None of those archers on tv have scruples. Been that way sense Babe Winkleman's day.

Archers should not show wounded animals on tv or talk about it.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:
So I'm switching channels and come across the above mentioned show. They are in RSA and the show host wounds a sable with his bow, next thing you know he is in a helicopter with a rifle and finishes off the animal..... Lands the copter, gets in a cruiser, drives to the animal and poses with his bow and trophy.

Am I missing something? Who would film such a thing then show it?

Clowns - could not be bothered to watch the garbage - frankly!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I must have had bad luck, as we have the OUTDOOR CHANNEL, and each time I switch to it, they are showing some bow hunter who has no idea of what hunting is!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bowhunter, and that sort of carry-on as you blokes described is appalling, disgusting, dishonest. Glad I can't watch that sort of nonsense on my TV in Australia. Even Home and Away would be better.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a bow,rifle and muzzlerloader. The weapon does not make the hunter in any way. The guys on these shows are all a joke for the must part and they take bad shots with all weapons really.
Talk about how bad some of the guys are who hunt on these shows are but don't put all bow hunters in the same group.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
unfortunately the pressure of getting a kill on video has led to many a wounded animal with both gun and rifle.
I have well over 50 bow kills. Its a very lethal weapon when used properly.
Its just like using a 30-06 on an eland. It will get the job done but your margin of error is smaller.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW - What a total clueless, biased, uniformed person you must be to make a statement like this. You obviously know nothing about bow hunting or bow hunters. Stick to "waterproof" clothing which seems to be your expertise, maybe?

A 1/2 dozen professional studies over the last decade have shown the "weapon" whether bow, muzzle loader or rifle shows an equal percentage of lost animals. Simply the facts not fiction. I personally have guided and observed way more poorly shot animals by rifle hunters than the other two combined. Since there are a lot more rifle hunters the actual number of lost animals is a lot higher of course for the rifle hunters.

Hunter ethics and any lack of scruples is not weapon driven, but is widespread across "all" the hunting methods. TV shows by the way are not a window into how most hunters and hunting should be portrayed or how it is actually conducted.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
None of those archers on tv have scruples. Been that way sense Babe Winkleman's day.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
It seems there are a few individuals, relatively, who are bent on giving hunting a bad image. Having spoken with guides and PH's "off the record", I've heard tales of hunting by archers and gun toting folks that disgust me.

I guess I've been lucky, my PH's have had two main issues they focused on quickly: safety and ethics. It is my role to insure that continues when I'm afield.

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Guys, the point I was making really did not have to do with the bow,or the wounded animal...... Wounded animals are a sad fact of what we do..... Everyone of us has probably wounded an animal at some point... Regardless of weapon choice. The point I was making was..... The guy had to employ a helicopter to finish the job!! That just seemed so wrong to me. Follow the animal up with the skills you have learned or with the aid of the skilled PH and/or trackers!

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Sellers,

I could care less how someone hunts. But they should portray hunting in the correct light 100% of the time. Especially if they are on national television.

I have not seen a hunting show where a rifle hunter loses an animal. I am sure they exist, but I have not personally seen one.

Almost everyone that hunts has lost an animal, it happens. In a non-televised situation ever effort should be made to recover the animal.

We need to paint ourselves in a better light.

You seem to be stalking me on AR.

Glad you found a hobby.

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
BWW - What a total clueless, biased, uniformed person you must be to make a statement like this. You obviously know nothing about bow hunting or bow hunters. Stick to "waterproof" clothing which seems to be your expertise, maybe?

A 1/2 dozen professional studies over the last decade have shown the "weapon" whether bow, muzzle loader or rifle shows an equal percentage of lost animals. Simply the facts not fiction. I personally have guided and observed way more poorly shot animals by rifle hunters than the other two combined. Since there are a lot more rifle hunters the actual number of lost animals is a lot higher of course for the rifle hunters.

Hunter ethics and any lack of scruples is not weapon driven, but is widespread across "all" the hunting methods. TV shows by the way are not a window into how most hunters and hunting should be portrayed or how it is actually conducted.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just watched this episode this morning.

I want to give them credit for showing all of the facts of what happened. They could have easily edited the show to make it look like they recovered the sable with the trackers.

I guess the one thing that bugged me was the flip attitude of the hunter. I was trying to see the ice chest in the blind.

Zinfandel and Backstraps!

Posts: 13 | Location: Mendocino County CA | Registered: 07 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stalking? Hardly. Calling BS when I see it? Yes.

You say, haven't seen or heard of rifle hunters losing an animal on hunting shows? Try TAA, Under Wild Skies, Long Range Hunter etc. Maybe you don't watch a lot of hunting Shows, that's cool. It's there.

As I said above, ALL hunting Shows don't really show hunting in the true, everyday way the" majority" of hunts take place. Editing for TV Shows has a way of doing this!!

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

quote:
Mr Sellers,

I could care less how someone hunts. But they should portray hunting in the correct light 100% of the time. Especially if they are on national television.

I have not seen a hunting show where a rifle hunter loses an animal. I am sure they exist, but I have not personally seen one.

Almost everyone that hunts has lost an animal, it happens. In a non-televised situation ever effort should be made to recover the animal.

We need to paint ourselves in a better light.

You seem to be stalking me on AR.

Glad you found a hobby.

quote:

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't watch hunting shows on TV, the "hunters" all turn into drama queens or pitchmen for whatever gear they are using.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank - With very few exceptions I agree.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I don't watch hunting shows on TV, the "hunters" all turn into drama queens or pitchmen for whatever gear they are using.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frank - With very few exceptions I agree.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

You are absolutely right.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Meateater

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched Meateater much. I bought a couple seasons of it on DVD, but thought the "I am alone in the world, and living off the land schtick" wasn't for me and never watched past the first 15 minutes.

The only ones I have my DVR set to record is: Fox Pro, Rugged Outdoors and Guns and Ammo.

I thought Boddington's show was interesting but never seen it again to record.

I love the Peterson's Hunting show, not every episode but they are generally good enough.

I initially liked Shocky's show, but I am kind of tired of it now.

I like to see Schoby, van Zwoll, Boddington, and Lamb build a better mousetrap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it's called Rugged Expeditions.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Some are good and some are tolerable
Just like anything else
Some shows I love, some I watch and some are not for me, which still doesn't mean they are bad
This pissing and moaning match about who wounds more animals?
We will never know, will we?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably cared in the past about discussing wound rates among hunters, specifically bowhunters in the past. But I find that I just don't care anymore.

Do what you do, do it legally and to the best of your ability.

My idea of hunting and fair chase are different today than they were 20 years ago, and as I become more disabled they have changed again.

I have been a life member of Boone and Crocket club for about 15 years. They are a pretty anti-high fence outfit. The latest magazine had another article about it and I just threw the whole damn thing in the trash without reading it.

We need to support one another, and this new line of "I am a better person/hunter than you because I hunt this way or that" is bullchitna!

We have enough hunters in this country, we don't have the resources to supply everyone with the hunts they want. Which will lead to many folks not hunting, and ultimately support will go down as it becomes more elitist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think bowhunters get dumped on by both hunters and antis. Try being a trapper. So much mis information that nobody understands us and everbody seems to hate us. Divide and conquer.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found very few hunting shows that keep me watching and the lot of them are simply pathetic. The above mentioned seem to be par for course!

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a bow hunter,,, and a gun hunter,,, maybe just say I am a hunter,,, I hunt by what I consider ethical standards, and those standards are usually set by where the hunt is. In Texas high fences and corn feeders are the standard,,,I'm not a big fan of high fences but that is the direction things are headed. In Africa,,, I have bow hunted from blinds or as the say "hides" in Africa and gun hunted on spot and stalk. Without throwing stones at bow hunters, numerous times I have seen the rover stop and the person step off the truck with his gun and shoot the animal in the bush without taking as much as 3 steps,,, ethical??? It is not the weapon that he determine a ethical hunt but the ethics of the hunter

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the show, but I don't have a problem with using a chopper, where legal, to try to find and finish a wounded animal. I actually applaud the effort, if done to try and bring a wounded animal "to bag"

I know of a bowhunter, very successful, over 300 archery kills, who wounded an elk in CO. He rented a chopper with his own dime to try and find the animal. They did find the animal, chasing cows on a neighboring ranch, and made every effort after the chopper to kill the animal. But were ultimately unsuccessful.

1 month later the same bull was killed by a rifle hunter, as he tended his harem of cows.

I applaud the effort to try to determine the lethality of the hit, bring the wounded to bag, etc.

Is it sporting. . . No. I don't believe so. But ethical under some circumstances, I do believe so

Bake

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote