New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reccamondations for a buffalo hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a buffalo hunt in '07 for myself and my father. I have been in talks with one PH but am looking for reccamondations for others. I also have some ?'s that some of you may be able to answer. What time of year would you reccomend. How many days? What should I expect as far as the costs, please break these down (daily fee's, trophy fees, and airfare, although I know this will be different based on location as I will be flying out of Atlanta). Thank you for the help.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Rakman, I will recommend two Zimbabwe Safari companies that I have hunted with and would recomend hunting in July, August or September for Buff and plains game.
If you are hunting together with your father 2 x1 then 12 days are good, or if you are each hunting with your own Professionals then seven days or more would be good. More days the more you relax and appreciate your Safari.
TAYLORS AFRICAN SAFARIS. EMAIL; taylorsafricansaf@netconnect.co.zw

NENGASHA SAFARIS. EMAIL; kaluga@mweb.com.zw
Good luck,
Adam C.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Zim in June 2004 with HHK and had a great hunt.
I am hunting with Brooklands in Zim March of 2006. Will post results upon my return.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zingeli_Safaris
posted Hide Post
Depending on what buffalo hunt you have in mind. Here is a comparison between South Africa (fenced though) and a Zimbabwe hunt.

Daily Rates SA = $500/p.p.p.d Zim = $900 p.p.p.d minimum 7 days
Trophy fee: SA = +/- $9000 Zim = $2500
Charter fees SA = $0 Zim +/- $1400 one way
Dip & Pack: SA = $0 Zim $300-$600

S.A. Total: $12990 incl 14% tax on daily rates.
Zim Total: $12076

Posts: 53 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Rakman1 - YOu will likely get a variety of responses, because the question is pretty wide open. Therefore, you may consider modifying the question to get answers which are more aligned with what you looking for. As an example, are you looking to hunt any additional game? If you wanted gerenuk or lesser kudu as well as buffalo, that would eliminate a couple countries from consideration. Also, some hunts have transfers and gun permit costs of a few thousand, so be sure to include those in your total budget. Finally, are you looking for a tent safari or permanent lodge? All these things should be considered.

One final point, RSA is not only fenced. There are areas up along Kruger that contain buffalo which wander from the park which can be taken on depradation permits that are not fenced, though the trophy quality may not be the same as other countries.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you will get more than enough information from the agents here as to costs. I would suggest you do at least 10 days simply because it will overwhelm you and you will enjoy every second of it. Be sure to go to a wilder location rather than some of the smaller properties. If you can swing it, go to Tanzania where you can probably get two buffalo each. If you select Zimbabwe go to the Zambezi Valley or Save Conservancy where you will see what Africa should look like. I would go after July to insure the grasses are lower. Early is often not best for buffalo and as things get hot water tends to draw the animals. Check and double check references supplied. Ask specific questions here on AR. Most of the answers will be very helpful. Be aware of the political situation where you select. Zimbabwe is in flux right now. I personally would not book anything there beyond this season. Others may disagree but decide for yourself. Good luck, the process you are in now is as exciting and as much fun as the hunt itself. cheers

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Swainson's Safaris in Zimbabwe (and am headed back this season). You can see my hunt report from last season here Safari Hunt Report. Another outfitter in Zimbabwe that many AR Members have used and been pleased with is Buzz Charlton.

I would recommend going in June, July or early August.

As far as costs go, here are the 2006 costs (they may be higher in 2007).

Daily Rate: $900 (1X1)
Trophy Fee: buffalo: $3,500
Tax : 2% on Daily Rate and Trophy Fees
Charter: $1,600
Dip and Pack: $300 or $600 (depends on number of animals taken)
MARS: $10 per day
Tips: approximately $150 per day

Let's assume a 10 day safari:

Airfare: $2,000 - $2,500 (depends on your city of origination)

Daily Rate: $9,000
Trophy Fee: $3,500
Tax: $250
MARS: $100
Dip/Pack $300
Charter: $1,600
Tips: $1,500
Hotel and meals (2 days, assuming you have a layover in Johannesburg on arrival and on departure): $250
Vaccinations and Travel Insurance ($250-$500)

Total: around $19,000 to $20,000.

If you hunt 2X1 then you will save $50 off the Daily Rate and share charter costs. So your cost per person would be about $17,700 to $18,700.

Of course, if you shoot any other game, then you will have to add those Trophy Fees to the total cost.

Then you will have taxidermy costs (depends on what you have done) and shipping of trophies from ZIM to the US, about $1,000-$1,500.

These are estimates, but should give you a ballpark figure to work with.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! 900 bucks a day for a Zim buff hunt?

I would go to Tanz Masai. For that price you can shoot 2 buffalo and they will likely be big.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zingeli_Safaris:
Depending on what buffalo hunt you have in mind. Here is a comparison between South Africa (fenced though) and a Zimbabwe hunt.

I dont know how you figured your math but that doesnt add up.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rakman1,

Besides the questions about what other animals besides buffalo you'd want to hunt, I'd suggest asking yourself 2 more questions. The first is, "Am I likely to be able to hunt Africa more than once?" The second is "How long will my father's health be good enough to get the most out of an African hunt?" The answers to those 2 questions may alter the equation for you a bit.

If this looks like a once in a lifetime event, and your father has some good hunting years left, you might want to save up for a couple more years and go for a longer trip than you can currently afford, almost regardless of what you can currently afford. If a "Buffalo Special" is what the bank balance can be expected to bear now or in the future, there are some good opportunites. With a bit of home work, you can get to see some old time Africa and collect memories you'll carry to the grave.

On the other hand, if you think it likely that you'll be able to go back again some day and/or your dad's health is an issue, go now! Don't give fate a chance to introduce you to the proverbial bus. That was part of my motivation when I joined the ranks of African hunters last November. It was a 7 buffalo day hunt in the Selous with my father along as an observer. We had some success, some adventures and a great time. We both still get a bit worked up when reliving the hunt over the phone. It was a wonderful introduction to African hunting that worked well with the available time and money. I think these "Buffalo Specials" are excellent value for the money and they can be quite cheap by the standards of African DG hunting. I'd not hestitate to reccomend one of these hunts to some one going on their first African trip, if that's what the finances allow or if it doesn't preclude taking another, longer one later.

All the best,

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zingeli_Safaris:

Am I missing something here? That 12K quote for a SA total is what was shown as a trophy fee for a buff on the website in your signature.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rakman 1

I made one buff hunt to Africa and that was in 1993. ( Since I'm in a bragging mood, I'm in the SCI Record Book for a buff, Africa, 9th Ed., p.89) You are fortunate to have the benefit of advice from real Africa vets in this forum. I will only offer my own thoughts as a one time hunter to Africa.

I went to Zimbabwe and went in May. I was in the Chirisa safari district. The climate was great. I doubt if the temperature ever went above 85 degrees (even at noon). I slept under a light blanket at night. Mosquitoes were practically non existent. I never saw a snake (and I was in the bush for nearly 3 weeks) Obviously your costs will be as they are today. I never had any surprise costs sprung on me by the outfitter. ( I would recommend him to you but he is now retired) If I were you, I would think (in terms of costs) in round numbers. If you feel that you need some kind of base figure to start with - then I would suggest this. From my own experience, I know you can come up on and shoot at a buff within 24 hours of being "on the ground". I found myself looking at a cow buff at about 40 yards distance within 3 hours after I had landed in camp - and we were just "going for a walk" as my PH put it. Does that mean you can take a decent buff in no time? of course not! I would allow at least 10 days if you have to be very careful with money. More time (say, 4-5 days) will let you get into position for a real "trophy". I saw this to be true and I pass it on to you. Time can make all the difference in the world - and if you can swing that extra expense of some more days -then do it. Believe me, don't try to pinch pennies on the trip of a life time!. I didn't and have always been happy that I didn't. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote