Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for lion over bait?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted
At DSC I was able to add a lioness to my Buff hunt in Sept. We will try to track her on foot, but will hang baits also.

I'll have my 416 Rigby with a 1-4 Trijicon, but will bring my 375H&H with a variable power scope better suited for lower light conditions if we're blind hunting. What magnification/objective scope do you like for this scenario? Illuminated - yes/no?

Thanks...

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
an illuminated reticle is a must, it could very well meen the difference in getting your lion or not. I would go with a swarovski z6i, something with a low magnification, the 2.5-15x44 offers the best of both worlds in my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well that was a short topic.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have used in very very low light conditions
VX3 3.5 to 10, 30mm tube, 50mm objective lens with a german #4 config. Switch is a 360degree turn on and in low light I just put a low glow and made the shot. Here is pic of cat no more then 5 minutes after the shot.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
opus - There is really nothing better than the Trijicon for low light shooting. Just shoot the cat day or night with the .416 Rig with the Trijicon. Shot my Leopard after dark in Moz with the same Trij.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by opus72:
At DSC I was able to add a lioness to my Buff hunt in Sept. We will try to track her on foot, but will hang baits also.

I'll have my 416 Rigby with a 1-4 Trijicon, but will bring my 375H&H with a variable power scope better suited for lower light conditions if we're blind hunting. What magnification/objective scope do you like for this scenario? Illuminated - yes/no?

Thanks...

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have been happy with the Schmidt@Bender 1.5-6x42 with illuminated No#4.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Nightforce 2.5x10. A little heavy but hell for stout and can be bought for about $1100.00

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote