THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    An Alternative to Africa results of my Argentina trip (updated pics)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Alternative to Africa results of my Argentina trip (updated pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Just got back from my trip to Argentina with Algar Safaris. Great people, great location, great service...can't say enough good things.

50,000 acres of free range for red stag, boar, puma, and feral goat. 10,000 acres of enlosure...fallow deer, axis dear, more red stage black buck, etc. I did the free range part as that's more my style. Hunt on horseback if you like or vehicle for spot and stock.

Great equipment available. The airlines lost my luggage...Algar had 8 rifles for me to choose from...all with swarvoski or zeiss scopes. The general manager loaned me a pair of swarovski binoculars...just great folks.

I was also lucky that in camp were Jim Baker (former NRA guy), Ted Rowe of Ruger and camera crew Tim Walsh and Chris. Made the hunt more enjoyable. Jim and Ted are class acts and Tim the camera man was a scream.

Probably glassed 20 stags a day in the free range area...

This is a nice 13 point stag

took this nice free range stag (estimated 8 yrs old at a minimum) at about 250 yds with their remington 700 in 270. Shot was broadside bullet performnce was excellent for a factory winchester 130 grn power pt...shot clipped the front of the heart and bullet stopped under the hide on the far side. Weight retention was 98 grns or 75%.

my russian boar...he was facing away had to shoot down on to his spine from up above...130 grn 270 penetrated and lodged just under the skin after exiting rib cage. Butcher hanging weight was 180 lbs or so. recovered slug weighed 94 grns or 72% retention.

a lone llama...

quite expansive country side

what a thing to see as you climb up the rise out of camp in the dark

an hour later

sorry the pictures are grainy...camera problems...

email if you have questions...or you can contact Keith Atcheson he represents/books for them oh yea...water buffalo and puma are also available...I saw several puma kills in the thickets while looking for boar sign..puma are hunted with dogs of course...

Guides speak spanish...and its a kick in the pants to hunt in a foreign language...
A few phrases is all you need...

oh another...your big is danger is gaining weight as the food is fantastic and there is no shortage of it...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mike, this looks and sounds like a viable alternative, alright! Looks like you had a fantastic hunt.

AD

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I really enjoyed the region is beautiful...it is not a replacement for Africa but if you are looking for a change of pace it is great...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alf,

I know it offends your sensibilities...and that you lust for the days gone by...however...I am a realist..who looks for adventure in the present...not a hpe of the past...

By the way, were any model BRNO 21's or 22s ever made in 8x60?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Ah, Patagonia! Some day, some day. That's a bigger piggie than Kyler is getting currently. Wait until next year's acorn crop!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and a great hunt! did you ever find your luggage and guns? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to do that hunt someday.

Looked like a great hunt and I bet you had a great time, hope you got your luggage back.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I got 1 piece 2 days later but that was all non hunting stuff. United could not find my tuffpak for 5 days. So it got sent to Buenos Aires after I was gone and sat with the Varig in their secure area.

So I picked it up upon my return to Buenos Aires.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the report and the stunning photographs. It certainly is an option that one should explore. Did you do any bird shooting?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Did not do any bird shooting...there were ample quail on the property...

I did not inquire about it...the big dove shooting is up north in Argentina and this is down south.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip Mike.

Thanks for posting.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics Mike. I will be in Argentina for most of June. As much as I like Africa I am looking forward to something different. I will also say that Argentina is a very good value for us dollar based folks comapared to Africa at the moment.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious why you borrowed a llama? Wink

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Mike

Thanks for posting your great hunting story.
Argentina is avery special place and the hunting is superb.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
friggin school employees

Mike

posted Hide Post
Mike I do not know you but I would like to comment that your pictures are grand!
I do believe living here in the US that my currently planned African trips will be the end of then ...at least for awhile. I am too going to begin hunting/fishing Argentinia & Peru. the costs are good the game to be abundant.
I understand the waterfowl shooting is second to none, did you try it do you know of it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I'm curious why you borrowed a llama? Wink

Thats a good question. That llama in the photo looks like it's runnin' scared! It must have heard you were on the way! Smiler

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Adventurous1,

I did not do any waterfowl hunting nor am I familair with it in Argentina.

I plan on returning to South America next year...perhaps Uraguay...if that sissy John the Greek will go with me...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
greek --- just having some fun with Mike.

The original caption said "loan" llama which struck me as funny. I knew it was a simple typo and that Mike meant a "lone" as in solitary llama but I couldn't resist goosin' Smilerhim a little.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Mike!!! I told you that it will be a great experience!!
Well done
thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
my country is one of the best hunting fields in the world .i invite you to go to the fly camps and unfenced jungles of the north.i hunt in cordoba ,el chaco and la patagonia.Lorenzo told me that he has very wild buffalos uruguay is a wonderful brother country too .juan COME AND VISIT THE DIFFERENT ZONES

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a big world out there and Africa is not the ONLY place to go. I haven't been to S. America YET, but I will. I will get back to Africa also, but I just can't get enough of Australia, been there seven times and warming up for number eight!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Sounds and looks like you had a fun trip thumb

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Wow! Really nice scenery!....Nice critters too!

What did that trip run$$? (if you don't mind).

Thanks,

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

The trip was $4500. That includes your arrival day, 5 full days of hunting, your departure day, and 1 red stag. All ground transfers, trophy prep, guides, vehicles etc.

Additional trophy fees range from $500 to $2500 depending on animal. There is a gun permit and some trohpy export fees but they are pretty nominal.

I also spent 4 days in Buenos Aires where Algar has staff that meet you at the airport and they made themselves available to me if I needed any assistance.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Mike

What did you do in Buenos Aires ?
I was thinking about spending a couple of days there next time I visit Juan Pozzi.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
In BA, I went to a tango show...walked around...went shopping...3 days is plenty...had lunch with Lorenzo and Gustavo from AR...drank wine and ate beef

Mike

posted Hide Post
what do the women look like there? Sickly as Africa?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The women in Buenos Aires are gorgeous...they can compete with Orange County.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mike

How do you hunt that country - by foot or by vehicle? It is very open.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

Hunting is a combination of driving and glassing, walking and glassing, and horseback and glassing.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike: congratulations!. I see that you had a good time. By the way, I missed that chat with Lorenzo and Gustavo due to that Uruguayan posting about it just the day before...next time I´ll meet you for sure. Our bird shooting is the best in the world, as you surely know already. Get in touch if you want some info. Wink
Waidmannsheil!

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What do you expect from a Uraguayan and he thinkes the Argentines are crazy...

Perhaps next year we all go to Lorenzo's place and raise hell...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. Great photos.

That scenery is spectacular! It looks like a truly wild and rugged place.

What was your lodge like? Was the food good? Did you get to eat any red stag tenderloin or local cuisine?

Nice stag by the way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very comfortable lodge...great food. Had lots of red stag and also they barbecued a young goat...very tasty. Good local wines...fresh vegetables grown on the property.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard a trip to Black's while in BA is not to be missed.

Cool

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
WPN,

Never heard of Black's...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, what is "Black's" for us uninitiated?? The local whorehouse, or something??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote