THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    An Alternative to Africa results of my Argentina trip (updated pics)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Alternative to Africa results of my Argentina trip (updated pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I book hunts in most So. American countries, New Zealand and Australia, as well as lots of bird hunts in SA...

Argentina is my favorite country and the people are great, and honesty is a way of life with the gaucho.. BTW Mike, I was raised on Bar-B-Qued goat and goat chunks deep fried in cornmeal is one of my favorite all time eats...ran out of fish one time at a fish fry and had a lot of beer, so we killed a goat and deep fried it in cornmeal...After that we just had goat cooks, and gave the fish a rest. nut thumb

What amazes me is how many Puma (Mt. Lion) they have, you can drive around and shoot them like rabbits on some places...Red stag are so populated that some ranches have to resort to poison to keep their numbers down...

I also have a very good friend who ranches in Argentina, has several ranches and thousands of cattle...He wants me to manage his ranches down their but my grandkids live in Idaho, so thats out. wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
So some of you want to know what Black is eh??
Big Grin

Imagine you are Adan and you live in paradise with 120 Evas Razzer

If Argentina is the cake, Uruguay is the strawberry of the cake Wink

And that is not a llama is a guanaco..
thumb

Why if I live in Uruguay I have to be explaining everything about my crazy neighbours ??

Argentina is a great wonderful country....a pity she is full of argentinians... Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that citizen of our Eastern Province geting in a festive mood again...perhaps he should remember his newly married condition and forget about Black´s jump
Contrarywise his storm & strife will sell his guns or other atrocity (this being the lesser evil, I shudder at thinking to be compelled to offer him refuge at home) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Welcome home! Looks like some fine trophies. Those Llama's are also know as Guanaco. They have superior eyesight to other game and blow alot of stalks when they warn other animals of the hunters presence. They are protected from hunting though I've got a suspicion that the Mapuche's rather like thier wool similar to Alpaca. Serious Boar to!!!! Good job Mike.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith: the llama and the guanaco are diffent animals. Both are relative to the camel, anyway. The first have been domesticated since many thousand years ago. The guanaco was never domesticated and provided meat for the Native Americans in pre Spanish times.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
As nainital said, they are different animals, the llamas are bigger and come in different colors.

The guanacos are brownish/redish and they are not protected.....mmmmm...maybe yes but everyone shoots them Big Grin

The males are called "relinchos".

Eastern province?? ja, always day dreaming my friend?? we kicked argentinians butts out of our country many years ago wave

And about the future of my guns due to my new civil situation, everytime she asks what caliber I have I tell her a differnt one so she gave up and don't ask more, I told her I have several guns in the countryside so if one day I appear with a new one is just an ol'rifle I have in "John's house" thumb

About Black's, nice hunting grounds where the trophy fees depends of the hour, your taste and your language among other things.... roflmao

Take care
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I was told that guanacos are huntable and that the meat is actually better than red stag. Whether it is better than the meat at Black's I do not know...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The decision to go back is B&W.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
And about the future of my guns due to my new civil situation, everytime she asks what caliber I have I tell her a differnt one so she gave up and don't ask more, I told her I have several guns in the countryside so if one day I appear with a new one is just an ol'rifle I have in "John's house" thumb

Good idea! thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guanacos´ meat usually sports trichinosis, take your pick. Also, these are not huntable animals according to the current law.
This notwithstanding, it´s a difficult hunt in the mountains. Stalking them seems very much going after Dall rams, the Himalayan argali or such beasties. Our mountains are very high, it should be remembered. Wink
By the way, they tell me that Black´s owner doesn´t allow Uruguayans anymore... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I am in for next year!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Great pics!
Looks like a great hunt. I would definitely say a viable alternative to the African experience.

Congrats!

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa, Argentina, Germany, USA does it realy matter where you hunt? As long as you enjoy hunting just get out there and do it.
Even groung squirel is fun to hunt.
Winter is however comming to South Africa and a lot off time is going to be spend in the bush.

Happy HUNTING to all.

Wimpie
Make every shot count!!

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wimpie,

For me...it has come to matter. This of course is my opinion...

RSA has become so commercialized with respect to hunting with 5000 PHs (a number I have heard) and hundreds of high fenced game farms...I personally find it distasteful.

Zimbabwe once beautiful is now a roll of the dice...yes plenty of successful and unmolested hunts occur there every year...but having seen what can be done to a family who had a great operation...I don't think I can go back...perhaps I am too sentimental

The above two countries do not provide me the experience I desire...

Tanzania...probably out of my reach financially...while I can afford it...I cannot personally justify it...

Perhaps Namibia or Zambia someday...but for now...I am looking elsewhere

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is.
GET OUT THERE AND HUNT NO MATTER WHERE, JUST HUNT
Unfortunately I have to make due with South Africa(Moz, Bots, Nam). But then I still have a lot off species wich I still have to get. Once I have all African species I to will also look to hunt other countries and continents.

Wimpie
Winter is comming to SA

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wimpie, it's a tough life, but somebody has got to live it! Wink
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote