Notify
Tools

Russell vs Courtney boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The Courtney's are flat and also don't leave much space for my big toe to slide in.

If ever there was a boot that doesn't cramp the toes its a Courtney; the rounded design of the toe cap allows for the toes to be totally free .... unless you have deformed feet which might be you case.

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Courtney's would be OK if they were not flat as a slab of concrete in the sole

I put a set of arch supports in mine and they are just about perfect. Plus, as MJines pointed out...you look cool wearing them Cool

And we all know that's what really counts!!! Big Grin

But the arch support inside the shoe does not change the fact that courtney soles are basically retreaded tires Cool

Looking cool is very important - why i got the blaser r8 so i can join the in crowd dancing

Mike

I feel like it's time the Pith helmet made a return... Cool

I can pull it off Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I put a set of arch supports in mine and they are just about perfect. Plus, as MJines pointed out...you look cool wearing them Cool

But the arch support inside the shoe does not change the fact that courtney soles are basically retreaded tires Cool

Looking cool is very important - why i got the blaser r8 so i can join the in crowd dancing

Mike

Choose your style

http://www.throughouthistory.com/?p=3153

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets be honest with ourselves, Courtneys are popular, like Pith helmits, double rifles, snake skin banded Safari hats and coats..Its part of the African "thang", its nostalgia at its best...

The courtneys have no arch or build up, they are soft and like a slipper for support..The best boots for Africa are Justin lace up ropers or Tennis shoes, the best hat is a ball cap, Cinch or wrangler jeans; and about any jacket..A double rifle is great for DG, but a good bolt gun is just as good...

I keep my horse tied out behind the house to make a quick run for it... sofa hilbily

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention Justins; I've worn Justin chukkas my last 2 times.

I also took some Crocs planned for them to be camp and shower shoes, but ended up using them as wading shoes.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I bought hippo Courteneys about 10 years ago. I wore them on and off on their original soles until we moved to Alaska in 2014.

We had a move to California and another to Germany and some where they didn't get packed. I kind of quit wearing them, and they were honestly hell to break in, and if I left them alone and didn't wear them they went back to their old ways of being uncomfortable.

I bought two pairs of Courtney Patrols in 2016 and sold both of them when they finally arrived. I didn't care for the shallow fit internally of height above the toe.

I have plantar fascitis, and I can't manage boots like that anymore. I was not impressed with them, and they screwed up the order on colors, so I sold them for what I had in them. Whoever bought them saved about $300 total off new cost. I didn't even wear them just tried them on, and was hopeful but didn't feel they were worth bothering with. The order process took 7 months.

I have bought "ready to wear" Russells and have been impressed with the quality, but not for the price point they are at. They require a bit of breaking in, but not as bad as classic Red Wing moc toes of course nothing like Whites.

Russel wants something like $650 to make a pair of boots fit you. I guess that is a good deal??? If they an accomidate your feet. I didn't get a warm fuzzy they could accomidate mine.

I used to wear Danners, but my feet have grown two sizes and went from D to EEEE. I have not found a pair of factory boots that fit that had enough room for the kind of cushion insoles I need.

Danner probably makes a 14EEEE boot, but I have not found one on the shelves anywhere. The Marine Exchange at MCAS Miramar had a slug of Danners in stock. Fort Irwin Exchange was the same, But 14 EEEE was not one of them for either store.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Merrel world walkers-it really doesn't matter what brand--everyones foot is different, just find what fits you and lets you walk comfortably.

When I found the Merrels they fit so well I bought two spare pair.

For everyday wear I have my boots made at M.L. Leddys in San angelo TX-

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
+1 on the Russell fit. I wear a size 10D in just about every shoe or boot made. Russell goes through the trouble of taking all sorts of measurements of you feet, but I don't know what happens after that. I've had them back and forth for refit or entirely made from scratch again, and still not even close. I have 2 pair of Courtneys, but wear them mostly for casual dress. Regular hiking boots are the way to go, and MUCH cheaper than these alternatives.

Wasn't going to chime in, but couldn't resist. I too am at a loss regarding Russell. Stand there getting measurements taken like a teenager getting fitted for a rental prom tux, then wait months longer than stated only to get a boot that doesn't even come close to the dimensions of your foot. My one and only pair are in a Waste Management landfill somewhere ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beings I have feet that had seen some surgeries I too got the Russell's. As it was I got a pair of built bird hunters style that was just ok. They seemed tight but I didn't wear them much.

So I gave it another try and got a set of PH's made up. Expensive yes, but I got what I wanted in terms of sole, and lining inside and the padded collar, pull strap, the poron etc. And they fit well too if you like the lower volume toe of the Russell's. At the same time I got a call from them that said we need your hunting boots back as they aren't the same. Yes thats correct.

So in the end the PH's are good and while the hunters are better, they still aren't exactly right. So I am at 50/50.

Along the way I found the Cadillac of boots for me for Africa and that is the Lowa's. Those things are light and feel great on and tough too. I had them along in Namibia on the last trip but I stayed with the PH's as they were working.

I never had the Courtney's though.

The guys there always get my Under Armour anything though. Including my UA flops.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Hey Ben, Light Merino wool socks are the go

Do you wear coolmax liner sox with the merino wool socks?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a pair of Courtney boots made from my tuskless and love them. No break in period and have worn them when working at the deer lease, on turkey hunts and hikes on the trails. Price was more than fair for a pair of custom made boots and are about the price of decent mass produced boots.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you have better luck with Courteney than I did. Ordered a pair on December 6. Still haven't seen my boots. I've emailed them three times with no response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Counsel:
I hope you have better luck with Courteney than I did. Ordered a pair on December 6. Still haven't seen my boots. I've emailed them three times with no response.

I ordered mine from African Sporting Creations, they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Counsel:

Love their boots but geez their Servis sucks! Had a pair partially delaminate between the two rubber layers. I private messages a question on which product they could recommend to fix it. They would not reply other than to recommend I send them back. Like as if I'm going to send them back to Zim Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
How much do the elephant courtneys cost if you them in Bulawayo ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

A bit over $650.00 USD

Posts: 788 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

A bit over $650.00 USD

Yikes, I had a PH buy me a pair about five years ago at the factory and they were half that price.

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some russell's years ago and after three tries, none close to fitting, I sent them back.

Thought I'd give them another try with a lace up boot - figured that would be easier, first pair they sent me was not even close to fitting. Waiting for next round.

I have a normal foot, just baffles me that they claim to be custom and they are WAY more off than I just bought in regular sizing like I do the rest of my shoes.

They need to get this fixed, I thought I was a unique case, now think they get more wrong than right.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I wasn't going to post an opinion on this but...changed my mind.

Not sure why Russell Moccasin Co measures your feet as they NEVER fit.

Courtney's would be OK if they were not flat as a slab of concrete in the sole.

I gave up on them both. I hunt in Africa in high-top tennis shoes.

archer

For my last 7 hunts I've worn a pair of Ecco Moc Toe High Tops...comfortable as; no problems.

I've had Lowa sole units fall off, Russells never fit and Courtneys look they were made in well, bloody Zimbabwe...

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was having my taxidermy work done in Zim bu Collett's they were more than helpful and ran the tanned elephant leather down the street to Courtney and just added the cost onto my taxidermy bill. Cost for my boots was $300.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got mine this afternoon from the big brown truck. Threw them on as I was about to take the baby for a walk around the neighborhood. They felt good from the go on my feet, although I think I might try the 1.6mm insoles as the 3.2mm are making the shoes a bit too tight. We shall see how they break in.....

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received the LOWA's today from amazon. Another REALLY comfortable boot. Heading down to PA in a few weeks for another pheasant hunt, going to give these a try down there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Seen you do it many times on the Political Forum animal

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Courtneys back in 2003, but I never really liked them.

On my last safari, I bought a pair of Caterpillar work boots from Sears. They are lightweight (really important to me), made of leather, and are a delight to wear. I think I only paid about $60.00 bucks for them (they were on sale).

I used them for 6 days of hunting in Zim, and never had a problem with them as far as comfort (although a white thorn did go completely through the sole one morning).

I had went to Cabela's and several other stores looking for a good hunting boot, but they were all too heavy for my liking. JMO

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a great, affordable safari boot, that you can take into the marsh of Moz if you want, I like the Palladium.

Every time I take a family member to Africa, I have them buy a pair - around 40-50 bucks, strong and made of canvas so they breathe, and you can clean them with a hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Palladi...&keywords=mens+pampa

Zero downside to throwing a pair in your bag.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
For a great, affordable safari boot, that you can take into the marsh of Moz if you want, I like the Palladium.

Every time I take a family member to Africa, I have them buy a pair - around 40-50 bucks, strong and made of canvas so they breathe, and you can clean them with a hose.

. . . taking two pairs of Palladium boots to Cameroon in a month. In wearing them a bit before the trip I find them pretty darn comfortable, and the price is hard to beat too. The PH with Mayo Oldiri that we spoke to indicated that he has been using them now for several seasons.

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

. . . taking two pairs of Palladium boots to Cameroon in a month. In wearing them a bit before the trip I find them pretty darn comfortable, and the price is hard to beat too. The PH with Mayo Oldiri that we spoke to indicated that he has been using them now for several seasons.

Mike,

I have the same Palladium boots, I think. I loved them until a mesquite thorn went through the sole. Otherwise, they are a great light weight boot.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Sold my Courtneys on ebay because they gave me blisters. My wife also told me that they look ridiculous.

Wife "They may look cool in Africa but news flash, this is America! They look GAY"

She would have me in a suit and Cole Hanns everyday if it were up to her. I have a pair of Russell Plantation boots but they are not the same since I replaced the soles. I wore them for at least 15 years.
My go to boot are my Merrells. My uncle is a Podiatrist and he got me wearing them. Good shoes are important. The right boot will decrease knee and back pain, especially after hiking five miles.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

I have a couple of pairs of courtneys but I do most of my flat land hunting in Merrells.

Very little break-in required on Merrells.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That looks like a good alternative tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been very enlightening. I guess I got lucky on my one pair of Russell Mountain PH's. They fit me perfectly and have held up well over the years, but I only wear them every other day for a couple of weeks a year. I also love my Courtney's, which I wear every week, but I'm as flat-footed as they come. Agree they need very little break-in. I have a Palladium canvas boot that is a lot like the old Converse high-top basketball shoes that is a great stalking shoe, but the sole is not particularly thorn-proof. I've hunted in Merrell's but they have an aggressive sole and are loud.

All told, I like the Courtneys' best and my Russell's second. But based on other's experience, not sure I'll ever buy another pair of Russell's.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote