New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russell vs Courtney boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been wearing a pair of Russell PH boots in cape buffalo hide for about 8 years now. They've been great boots and I've put many miles on them as hunting boots, day to day boots, and even dressed up boots. Saddle soap and Obaneauf's about twice a year has kept them in great shape.

I'm looking to get another pair of boots now to break in before my Sept hunt and am torn between getting another pair of Russell PH's or a pair of Courtney Safari's. I've no experience with the Courtney boots, but haven't ready a poor review of them yet.

So what says the group? Tried and true Russell's, or try the Courtney's?

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got both and have had great luck with the Courtney's! I haven't found the need to break them in. Bought a new pair in Harare 2 years ago and wore them most days of a 10 day buff hunt, no blisters, very supportive.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1112 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing Courteneys since the 1990s. Wear them every day in AK to hike and for casual outings. Never a need for break ins. They look great and are truly Africa. While not a cold weather boot nor a waterproof boot for the tundra, they fill the bill for everything else.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Courteneys..comfortable from day one and very durable.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Neither . . . get some real boots. Russells are a crap shoot in terms of whether you can ever find a pair to fit and once you do find a pair that fits be prepared for them to fall apart in short order. Courteneys are for looks and to maintain an image . . . unless you have flat feet like a Shona you will suffer from no arch support or have to buy inserts. Eccos and others are much better footwear.

. . . just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Bought Courtney boots over 10 years ago. From Day 1 they fit great( guess I am part flat footed Shona). Never broke them in, never had a blister, no insoles needed, and hundreds of miles tracking elephant and buffalo. They work!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Russell fit. I wear a size 10D in just about every shoe or boot made. Russell goes through the trouble of taking all sorts of measurements of you feet, but I don't know what happens after that. I've had them back and forth for refit or entirely made from scratch again, and still not even close. I have 2 pair of Courtneys, but wear them mostly for casual dress. Regular hiking boots are the way to go, and MUCH cheaper than these alternatives.

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not tried Courtney's...do have Russels that I've wore on 5 safaris...have had NO issues with them....plains game to elephant...

Lots of walking in them. Will wear again in the the valley this Aug chasing jumbos.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Got Courtney's - great boots
But out here in the west - Kennetrex

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore mine all day on a pheasant hunt and could sleep in them they are so comfortable, after being in the Army Infantry, you can tell a high quality boot, and courtneys are like Maserati seats for your feet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best hiking shoes I've had were the old Asolo's.The only pain free hiking/trail running/running shoes I owned.Some of those heavy hiking boots can be very hard on the feet especially if they don't fit perfect.The Courtney's are flat and also don't leave much space for my big toe to slide in.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Which ever one fits your feet best. For me it is Courteny

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best boots - Lowa.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Me...Hiking/dp/B005HUYU72

Africa, Alaska, Regular US hunting, FL & SC swaps, West Texas and HIll Country, walking in NYC show during winter.

Have them for 7 years - best pair of shoes.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from 6km of the most magnificent wild country - swamps, creeks and mountains right behind my house. I wore my brand-new Courteney Hunters, and am now sterilising a blister in a bucket of salty water. I love these boots - just wore-out my first pair. But some thoughtful breaking-in would be sensible.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Ben, Light Merino wool socks are the go

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did pick the worst socks I have. Not real sensible. Too much of a hurry to get outside!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
I did pick the worst socks I have. Not real sensible. Too much of a hurry to get outside!

I too find that good socks and a break in period with any boot, no matter how high quality they are, is a must. I did 3-4 miles today in them, not crazy, but I love them. I wore nice patagonia socks, but try and wear them barefoot as much as possible to keep the feet tough.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Exactly right on boots that fit YOUR feet.

Everybody's feet are different and so is the last that boots are made on so find a brand that makes your feet happy.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mike Jines brought up a good point, one I overlooked as it is not even thought of--just a habit; that of buying insoles for the Courteneys. I don't know why they just don't mould in an arch support in the tyre soles. It's automatic now, I just buy insoles when I put on new Courteneys.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Best boots - Lowa.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Me...Hiking/dp/B005HUYU72

Africa, Alaska, Regular US hunting, FL & SC swaps, West Texas and HIll Country, walking in NYC show during winter.

Have them for 7 years - best pair of shoes.

Mike

+1

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Caterpillar make some good strong comfortable boots. Never got on with the Courtney and they did not like getting wet.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use british army issue desert boots in Africa...or just sandals if the heat is unbearable..

Lowa boot are also excellent..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first pair of elephant skins Courtney's were resoled by them three times - they were the best boots ever and eventually wore out after about 15 years of almost constant use - and quiet as well for sneaking about in the Zambezi Valley. Eventually owned three pairs.
Then one year I got stopped by the Russell guys as I walked past their booth at DSC. Got suckered into having my feet measured and buying a pair. What a rip off. The first two pairs that were way too big were returned - all the way from Africa, what a mission, I was eventually remeasured hoping for third time lucky but this was not to be! I still landed up with a pair that do not fit properly and the soles detached within the first season - thank heavens for super-glue. Go the Courtney route - you will not regret it!

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been my very good fortune to have known John and Gail Rice long time John worked at Clark in England and uses Clark last to build on and his boots are second to none

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the responses. Ordered a pair of the Courtney Safaris as well as a pair of the Lowa Renegades to try. I wear inserts in most of my boots as it is, so I ordered the SOLE insoles that African Sporting Creations sells.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some good things about Courtenay's like that soft breathable leather and the thick stitched soles but the flat bottom sucks.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemtRN5287:
Thanks all for the responses. Ordered a pair of the Courtney Safaris as well as a pair of the Lowa Renegades to try. I wear inserts in most of my boots as it is, so I ordered the SOLE insoles that African Sporting Creations sells.

Looking forward to seeing how you like the Courtney to the Lowa.

Worst case you have the lowa as your northeast outdoor boots.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This whole footwear issue can be overthought.

On many of his videos, Buzz is wearing Crocs Wink

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Head Trauma:
This whole footwear issue can be overthought.

On many of his videos, Buzz is wearing Crocs Wink

Buzz is a nurse? Big Grin

sofa

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey now! I've never worn crocs to work...... Big Grin

Sterotype those croc people into some other profession, will ya? lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On many of his videos, Buzz is wearing Crocs

There's also some pix of him in his Mankini...just saying :-)

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No..No..dont get me wrong. I've seen other women wear them too. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:

I wear crocs 50 percent of the time - best beach footwear.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crocs are dishwasher safe. jumping

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I wear crocs 50 percent of the time - best beach footwear.

Mike

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hose them done and they are as good as new. Best camp footwear too - you can shower in them, wear them around camp and leave them when you come back.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to post an opinion on this but...changed my mind.

Not sure why Russell Moccasin Co measures your feet as they NEVER fit.

Courtney's would be OK if they were not flat as a slab of concrete in the sole.

I gave up on them both. I hunt in Africa in high-top tennis shoes.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hose them done and they are as good as new. Best camp footwear too - you can shower in them, wear them around camp and leave them when you come back.

Mike

+ 1 again

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Courtney's would be OK if they were not flat as a slab of concrete in the sole

I put a set of arch supports in mine and they are just about perfect. Plus, as MJines pointed out...you look cool wearing them Cool

And we all know that's what really counts!!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Courtney's would be OK if they were not flat as a slab of concrete in the sole

I put a set of arch supports in mine and they are just about perfect. Plus, as MJines pointed out...you look cool wearing them Cool

And we all know that's what really counts!!! Big Grin

But the arch support inside the shoe does not change the fact that courtney soles are basically retreaded tires Cool

Looking cool is very important - why i got the blaser r8 so i can join the in crowd dancing

Mike