THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunters Requirement about Skinning Shed Proximity to Lapa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters Requirement about Skinning Shed Proximity to Lapa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
May I venture to ask this illustrious forum for some honest opinions on a matter of hunting camp design?

I’ve never had my ‘very own’ hunting accommodation – always freelanced and used accommodation designed by others. These varied very much in design and degree of luxury of finish. But now I’m busy renovating and reconstructing an old farm house which I will in future use as my very own place. The only layout aspect that I want to discuss now is the relative distance of the skinning shed from the general evening socializing area.

I had noted on many occasions a certain behavior by most, if not all, of my clients the evening after they have collected a trophy animal. Wherever the skinning shed was in easy walking distance from the lapa [socializing area], they would at some stage replenish their drink, or get a fresh can of beer, and wander off to look at the activities in the skinning shed where the skinners would be busy with their trophy. I cannot adequately explain this behavior. Sometimes the successful hunter drags his buddy to the skinning shed to show and brag! But many times the hunt was a 2X1, and the hunting buddy was one of the first to see the trophy. Maybe the hunter wants to do some quality assurance check on the activities of the skinners. Maybe they just want to have a last look at their trophy. I have never really asked why they go, but believe you me,they go.

When hunting at facilities where the skinning is done a far way from the lapa, not a single hunter has requested to be taken to see his trophy being skinned. IMHO if possible most, if not all, hunters will go and look at their trophy being skinned. Yet not a single one that I can remember has actually asked to be taken to see his trophy that may be skinned on another farm or at a facility well beyond walking distance.

My question to this forum is now: Is this desire of hunters to see their trophy being skinned a real client need? Should I now plan to place my skinning facility within easy walking distance from the lapa? Or does it not matter to the typical hunter if he sees his trophy after loading at the last photograph seccien, and not again until the taxidermy finally gets delivered at his home?

What are the thoughts of safari clients on this one: Is it a real need that a HO in the process of deciding on his facility layout should consider?

Comment and suggestions from other HO’s about this facility layout question will also be appreciated. Yes, I know how difficult it is to keep the skinng shed free of flies. And if the shed is close to the lapa, well, .....!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Andrew, you saw firsthand that I was one to wander over and take a look. I don't even chalk it up to "quality control," as I trust in the outfitter/PH to have a good staff. It is a matter of curiosity for me. You see, I generally do all that type of work myself. I skin, cape, cut horns, process meat, etc. all by myself on hunts here at home. I like to watch over the shoulders of others to get a different perspective, to perhaps learn tricks or tips that I can employ for my own use. I do that here with other do-it-yourself hunters (I haven't really gone on a guided hunt outside of Africa).

A convenient location of the skinning shed (and even other facilities) lends itself to this type of behavior. Asking you (the PH or guide) to drive me somewhere simply to satisfy my curiosity would seem an imposition. I would hesitate to do so, particularly when my experience is that PHs (and their staffs) do a lot of "extra" work anyway. That's my guess as to why many hunters won't go farther than walking distance. If it's not convenient, they won't push it.

To summarize, my two African hunting experiences were greatly enhanced by the opportunity to see all the staff in action. I watched the trackers and skinners with fascination. Heck, I even stopped by the cook tent, laundry facilities, and watched the camp boys heat water. If you can arrange your facilities so that these places are convenient, I think many of your hunters will delight in seeing them and observing the operations there.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more. Besides that it is a pleasure to watch skilled skinners in action. Keep the skinning shed close to the lapa. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a #4 configuration, with the camp at the head and the skinning facility at the far point. In this way, vehicles can come and go from camp without passing the skinners shed unless game is taken, which can be dropped off prior to reaching the main camp. There are many reasons a client may wish to visit the process, from anatomical interest, to bullet recovery, wound assessment, photographs, horn measurment, to the selection of the cuts he wants for dinner!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
To just wallow in the experience that is hunting in Africa. That is why I went back to the shed, though it was a drive from our Lapa.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Need? No. Curiosity satisfied? Definitely. I'm in agreement with Jerry, Nikudu, and Desertram. For me, it's a curiosity thing. I'm interested in everything that goes on in camp from the kitchen to the sanitation facilities.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...in Senuko the skining shed is about 5 min drive away - when a game was taken, Gordon took me there after the morning hunt and before afternoon hunt every single day - a place where one can learn a lot - i.e. skining and cuting of a buffalo is a must see for a first timer...many times there are trophies from the previous hunts and those are always great to look at...

part of Senuko 2007 harvest

- would prefer to have it as Nick said - IMO it is a second most important place in the camp - beside bar of course cheers

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
Just to look at the trophy,or bullet recovery,or to see how the skinning is going,If your hunting with a buddy and its a 1x1 hunt its nice to be able to go and have a look at his trophy or to show him your trophy.Wallowing in the experience is good enough reason.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The camp I was in was 50 yds across water from the skinning shed. Each night in addition to the hippo and other night noises we heard lion and hyeena in that general direction. The skinning area, surrounded by chain link, also had large racks of biltong. Would it not be a good idea to maintain a reasonable distance to limit unwanted late night encounters?
I was in camp at the close of the season and enjoyed seeing the trophies that had not been shipped yet.
Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the above,Definitely Curiosity !

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'm again a majority of one, but I could care less about the skinning shed. Only time I ever go to shed is to drop off game. Once the animal is in back of truck I actually have no further interest in seeing it. I also don't bring home trophies. The sum total of my trophies from 8 safaris is 2 zebra rugs,4 small warthog tusks and one set of Elephant tusks and the 'floating' bone from a Leopard.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually i'd rather see the sheed a couple hundred yards away. I can walk that far if i'm curious, but i've also had the experience on more than 1 occassion of hyenas prowling around the shed, & I just don't relish the thought of waking up somenight to view one in front of my face.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy watching the skinners work. I butcher my own stuff at home so it is a natural part of the process. I never go to second guess or because I am worried about the quality. These guys all know their buisness to the last man. I just enjoy it. I also dont mind getting my hands dirty if I am allowed to help although it is usually just a trivial task. Not that I want to get in the way mind you. It is a matter of pride with these guys. I like to thank them and compliment them on their work whenever possible. It is also a natural for those of us who want to recover bullets. The skinners are often the most overlooked part of the staff, although they are at the top of the list in my book. They often work all night after a group has brought in trophies late in the day. As far as predators go I dont walk anywhere by myself without a weapon. Learned that the hard way on my very first trip. I suppose it is up to the individual but I think it is a bonus myself. It owuld also depend on what "far away" is and how remote the area.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
AS said by the others, curiosity, to be part of the overall experience, check bullet performance, note my appreciation to the skinners, etc. This I do no matter which country I'm hunting in.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I learned to cape animals by watching others who were more experienced than me and I haven't stopped learning!!

Besides - since I'm normally the one doing the skinning / caping if feel kinda guilty just watching :-)

Here in North America I usually cape my own animals even if there is a guide or at least I assist. I will watch and learn this summer in Africa but not get in the way of those who earn their living in the skinning shack...

In the end it's simple - it's all part of the hunting experience! Without the adventure, the stalks, the gutting, skinning & caping, the feasting ... it would simply be shooting!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
One can learn a lot in the skinning shed. Such as how to make a hippopotamus skin bracelet:

1. First, kill and skin one hippopotamus.

2. Then, the rest is easy . . . Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's fixin' to deep fry pork, er I mean Hippo rinds Big Grin

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I definitely agree with most other posts. I will often go to the skinning shed on various occassions throughout the hunt. Usually on the first animal, I pay more attention and do "quality control", as you suggest. Without fail, the skinners have been so good this is really no longer a concern. It does reassure me for the rest of the hunt to see haw wll it is being done.
I do like to recover bullets, examine anatomical differences, and sometimes just revel in the hunt. Visiting the skinning shed is a big part of the trip. I have pictures from the skinning shed from each of my trips.

I would definitely recommend having this within easy walking distance.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all above.Keep it far enough away that it is out of sight but close enough to walk to any time of day or night.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whenever we dropped game off at the skinning shed, I always got out and spent some time watching them ply their craft with my PH prodding me to get going most of the time.

The one camp I stayed in the skinning shed was too far to be comfortable to walk to in the evening but the second camp the skinning shed was quite close and every evening I walked down just to watch and to check out what my hunting partner had gotten during the afternoon hunt.

Not a requirement but part of absorbing yet another part of the African experience.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a good idea if the skinning shed was no more than 150 yards/meters from the camp. Though I have not been to Africa yet (going to Namibia in June), I personally would like to see EVERY animal of mine being skinned, for several reasons. It is always nice to just chat and reminisce about the hunt. Every place I've hunted at here in Texas (except for one) has the skinning shed placed within 150 yards of the camp.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all those who expressed an opinion. Clearly consensus is to have the skinning shed within easy walk-by-yourself distance from the lapa. That is how it will be at my new facilities.

Today I can say that I'm glad to have asked. Thanks to your postings the workings of an average hunters mind is now understood so much better, not only by mysef, but surely some others too!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew think of it like this-I would not ask to be taken to view scenery at night but if the camp is in a scenic spot it sure would enhance my sundowner-same with the skinning .

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always will pay a visit to my animals or someone elses if it is a good trophy.
A better reason is to keep the lion amd hyena a good distance from the camp proper. Everywhere I have been it hasn't been long before the nightly visits begin.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Close enough so the guys can walk to it without having to take a sixpack of beers along for the hike, but far enough that the smell, noise and flies don't interfere with the camp itself.

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote