THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Coolest thing you had made from your animal, other than a trophy mount
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coolest thing you had made from your animal, other than a trophy mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted
Just thinking on this cold Michigan Saturday, what is the coolest thing you had made from one of your Africa trophies, other than a mount/rug?

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have accumulated quite a few backskins and Sadie and I covered out dinning room chair cushions with different skins. Quite a conversation piece.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
We had this made in RSA

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
I have had some pillows made out of the backskins from a couple of my animals. Out of my Leopard, a Tanzanite pendant made with the floating bones for my wife and matching claw pendants for my wife and I. Out of my Hippo, I had some Shambuks (?) made out of the hide.

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is Sjamboks, but either way, if you smack Momma with it have the hospital Email us and let us know your prognosis for complete recovery.

I have my Cape Buffalo back half off for tanning and finishing to saddle leather specs. I plan to take a couple backskins and use them for the center section of HD Boy-style gun cases with Buffalo for the ends. You see them with a foot long contrasting center sections that look great.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My tuskless cow elephant leather got turned into this chair and ottoman. It's down in the trophy room where we let the grandkids go to watch television. Should hold up to the wear and tear they inflict on things! Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I had some of my Ele hide made into a pair of custom western boots and belt for myself, and some Sable hide made into same for my wife. I have gun cases made from Buff hide. Ele hide carryall and shoulder bag. Fly wisks from tails of Sable and Gemsbok. Knife scales from Buff and Impala horn and Hippo teeth. Just some of the items.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sjamboks from my hippo and jewelry for the wife out of the floating bones of my leopards and lion.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biltong and droewors

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I have a 1940 Buick Coupe in the process of being restored & the upholsterer is using some
dyed (brown) elephant hide as accents in the interior. Hope it comes out nice?

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
having a pair of deck shoes made from my first croc belly skin. if i like it will have matching wallet, belt and low hunting boots made with the rest.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13244 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra hoof lamp and also have buffalo hoof lamp and buffalo hoof rifle holder that are currently ready to ship.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Here's a double shot of my two favorite things:

The table I put my tusks in and the gun slip Murray made with the elephant leather.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Here is something new we are just developing...

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Purse for my wife from a buffalo scrotum.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a possibles bag made from a buff scrotum. Didn't turn out well-too stiff.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I had a possibles bag made from a buff scrotum. Didn't turn out well-too stiff.

There are some interesting responses that come to mind but I'll leave that one alone. Big Grin
Kyler, very nice table.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had anything made yet but I would like to have gun cases made from my two buffalo back skins. I just don't know who can do that for me. Any suggestions?

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much better responses then when I put my post up a few months back about the same subject! Very cool trophies guys.

I hope to some day have a soft rifle case, cartridge wallet and sling made from a zebra, and maybe a hard case with croc panels on the outside (and I want the bumpy skin! No fancy belly skin lol)

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
A couple of items that I made.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
I had a Bomber Jacket and a Vest made from my Elephant hide in grey color. I get lots of comments on how cool it looks !!!

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nobody had a penal transplant from an ele Eeker Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
R.G.Howard,

Dick Murray of Murray Custom Leather made my case. He's not cheap, but he did very nice work. He listened to exactly what I wanted and then did it at no extra charge. His delivery time was just as he promised as well.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a buffalo scrotum and made a pencil holder out of it.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is the coolest thing you had made from one of your [...] trophies, other than a mount/rug?

Hungry people's belly full.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
This is a cool thread!

Thanks sharing the pics! Blank, that chair is amazing.....I'll bet the kids couldn't hurt it if they wanted to!

Mike those holsters are some of the finest I've ever seen!

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Biltong and droewors

Steaks, roasts, stews and warthog ribs on the coals. Not forgetting liver [kudu, impala, springbuck or bushbuck ] with onions, cream and mushrooms!

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC-Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My kudu pillows...

Posts: 100 | Location: Clover, SC | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
Here is the pendant I had made for my wife from my Leopard's floating bones. Had it mounted with a nice Opal stone.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very cool Vandyboy. Who did the work?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
Richard Koskovich. He has a booth at SCI every year. He works out of Alaska. He also did our matching Leopard Claw pendents. www.koskovich.com.

Jeff

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
He did a great job on a lion claw/diamond pendant for my wife. If I ever get a leopard, I think I'd like to copy what you have had done.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more items have had made. Here are the Sjamboks I had made out of my Hippo hyde.

Here is a pencil holder I had made out of my Buffalo's scrotum.

Here is a display I had made for my Hippo's tusks.

One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post

Sorry about that. Hopefully they are there this time.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
Mike, who did the holsters for you? They are gorgeous!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets see, Leopard Floating bones neckless for granddaughter, Lion claw pendent, Lion Floating bones bolo tie, Giraffe pillows (round bolster) with Zebra ends, Loveless boots from Hippo and Buffalo and Zebra the list goes on and on.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Not from African game, but...

Custom coat (lined, concealed carry pocket) made from my moose.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
BE WARNED-

If I am not mistaken, having anything made from your trophies in Africa can now be problematic. These are considered finished products, not trophies, by USFW/Customs and if shipped in your trophy crates can result in seizure of the entire shipment. The law only provides for trophy parts. Finished products would be dutiable if they were allowed entrance into the USA at all.

It used to be that any finished products included in your trophy crate were OK with all agencies. I had them clear entry for 10 years.

If anyone has current information on this subject, please post as I have not seen an update since this first became an issue.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
Everything I have listed and have had made, was made here in the USA from my skins, bones, claws that were shipped with my horns and hides. Nothing was made in Africa.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
BE WARNED-

If I am not mistaken, having anything made from your trophies in Africa can now be problematic. These are considered finished products, not trophies, by USFW/Customs and if shipped in your trophy crates can result in seizure of the entire shipment. The law only provides for trophy parts. Finished products would be dutiable if they were allowed entrance into the USA at all.

It used to be that any finished products included in your trophy crate were OK with all agencies. I had them clear entry for 10 years.

If anyone has current information on this subject, please post as I have not seen an update since this first became an issue.

With most species, it's all about ticking the right boxes on the forms but with some such as elephant tusks, the USF&WS don't allow worked ivory to be imported....... they're so bloody awkward, it's even a good idea not to have the tusks fitted into tusk mounts. If you want mounts, ensure they're packed as individual items and not actually fitted to the tusks.

As always, it's a good idea to check the rules just before your trophies are shipped in case USF&WS or anyone else for that matter have moved the goalposts.

This might help: http://www.shakariconnection.c...frican-trophies.html