New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non DG calibre choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Too much time at work but interested in peoples take on this.

You are planning a first trip to the dark continent. Your species will be assorted antelope up to and including the size of Kudu. Planned country is not Namibia (ie not long shooting)

You have a 7x57 with fixed 6x that you frequently use and shoot small deer in field positions using sticks with complete confidence. A 175gr Swift A frame shoot 0.75moa at 2,450fps

You also have a 9.3x62 that is very similar but sports a 1.5-6x42. You don't use it that often but can shoot it fine (allthough it has a slightly heavier trigger and you are prone to pick up a flinch)it is identical in layout so familiarity is not an issue It shoots 232gr Norma Oryx into 0.75moa at 2,600fps

Which is the sensible rifle to take and why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the 7mm. It is adequate for all game under Eland, including leopard, sable etc. so why take a rifle that you shoot less than perfectly? A poor shot with a 9,3 is not going to collect your wildebeest any quicker than if you made the same shot with a 7mm and hopefully with the 7mm you wouldn't have made the poor shot in the first place.

Always use what you are most comfortable with

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey 1894,

I'm taking the 308 shooting 165gr Barnes-X, and will be happy to take anything upto Eland.

I think that wherever you are a well placed 175gr bullet will do the job.

when are you going?

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I disagree with the whole basis of this question. Don't understand why one uses lightweight bullets in a 9.3x62 and heavy bullets in a 7x57.

Who goes on their 1st safari and doesn't shoot a zebra? It's like required, ain't it? The 7x57 is too little for stripes.

The kudu flinches just before the shot and away it goes gut-shot, forever with a 7x57 but probably not forever with a 9.3x62.

Not that you can't kill kudu with a 7x57, but they'll drop dead from a 9.3 or .375.

Hey, if you can afford to go to Africa, take the right gun. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Either rifle will be sufficient. The 9.3x62 is better, and would be better yet with a 286 grain bullet.

But the 7x57 with a 175 grain bullet, or even a 160 grain bullet of good construction, will cleanly kill the game you are after at the ranges you are likely to encounter.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I have to agree with Will. Why take chances when the right rifle is available (9.3X62). Use at least 250gr premium bullets, adjust the trigger and practice a lot with the 9.3 and you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't worry about moa either. If you can get 3 shots consistently in 2" at 100 yds under hunting conditions you'll be deadly.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

You know I am biased and why! Wink but why not take the 9.3x62mm, I mean what better reason for having it than a trip to Africa??? I would suggest moving up to a 250grn or 286grn premium though...

Or take both rifles..they will both go in one case..get the trigger pulls matched by a decent gunsmith, and don't look back. The only reason I can not see for not taking both is the weight factor for the airlines...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my favorite plains game and all around rifle is a .338, but I have shot zebra, gemsbok and kudu with a 7mm Mag, which isn't that much different than a 7-57.

But I am a bit puzzled...why not bring both? Shoot the zebra with the 9.3-62 and the others with the 7mm

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 9.3x62. Some of those critters are tough. Don't forget a wounded animal costs you the trophy fee and often does not give you another chance at that species, not to mention the time spent tracking it. shame

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough to beat the trusty .338 for any animal not in the Big 5.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Why not take both? If only one gun is being taken go with the 7X57. Hit them in the correct place and you will have no problem.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one will do fine...I too would take both.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Your 7x57 is fine, but like most have said, take both. At least take a spare scope. Never needed it but never needed my life insurance either! thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either will do, but the 9.3 probably gives you just a bit of an edge. Bring along what you like best.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 worked great for me in May of last year. There was never any question about its abilities! It just worked.

Take'm both, but use the larger bore on the bigger animals.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894mk2

Another vote for taking both rifles. If you in fact are going to only take one I think it would be much better to take the 9.3. I also would get used to shooting the 270-286 gr bullet. If that time comes which it probably will and that big kudu is walking straight away through the bush you'll want the big bullet.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too, would take both. I would use 286grain bullets in the 9,3x62.
I used my 9,3x74R with 286 Woodleigh Softs, and 286 gr Nosler Partitions for plains game in Zim with perfect results. Velocity a little over @2200 to 2250 fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Both for me too even if you use the 7mm most of the time.

If only one I would choose the 9.3mm. My first safari I used a .30-06 including on eland, zebra and wildebeest. Some good shots still caused me problems though the particular Nosler bullet performance was suspect.

My second two safaris I used only a .375. When I shot properly no problems at all. Be the same with a 9.3 mm.

If you do flinch with a 9.3mm take the 7mm as that is then the better choice IMO.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why chance it? take both. 7mm is pretty good for everything up to zebra,kudu,eland,gemsbok to ensure a good put down i would try my best to go bigger if not in bullet weight, then in caliber and bullet weight.

mind you i have shot all of my plains game with a 300 win mag and they came down ok.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take both but I too would favor the 9.3. I took a 300 winmag for my first plains game safari and it was a fine choice. However on my kudu I caught a limb with the bullet trying to get a round off in a hurry at a Kudu that was not going to stay in our vacinity long. The 200 gr Nosler partition splattered and several fragments hit the Kudu although none fatally. A merry chase ensued. I killed the Kudu eventually but an extra hundred grains of bullet weight would have been much better under identical circumstances. Use the 9.3 and 286-300 gr bullets. The 7mm will work on everything mentioned if conditions are ideal and no angling shots become necessary. I will ask you one more question. If the Kudu of a lifetime (65 inches or better)offers you only the Texas Heart shot as he ambles into a helluva thicket, do you really want that 7mm in hand?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would opt for the 9.3x62...............but thats just me.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add to that I would change the bullet to a woodleigh 250gr or 286 gr bullet in the 9.3x62

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The reason you seem not to want the 9.3 along is the flinch. Have you tried a really good recoil pad on it? This might help some. Also maybe a cartridge band on the buttstock with a slim piece of foam to protect your face. Finally, get the trigger adjusted so they both shoot the same (can get it done at the same time you add that GOOD pad). That just might help the flinch and make your decision.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
Pratice with the 9.3 until you arent afraid of it any longer , then pratice some more. Using the bullet weights that are right for this caliber. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wonder if the extra bullet weight etc is needed on stationary conventional angled game up to Kudu? I don't hold with larger calibres making much odds on non vital shots nor on brush deflection. If we are talking a heart lung or lung shot kudu taking runs that are going to stretch the abilities of the trackers I would be persuaded.

I don't want to shoot Zebra and regular practice with 286gr full house loads would give me a bad flinch that I can do without!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
THEN WHY ASK???? Frowner If you have made up your mind!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
I just wonder if the extra bullet weight etc is needed on stationary conventional angled game up to Kudu?

No. But it's the angled or raking shots that you need to worry about. Long for caliber, heavy bullets--whether in your 7mm or 9.3, are much better penetrators. For example, the 175 grain 7mm slug will have an SD over .300 and the 160 will be right about .280 or so, which is the minimum I'd want for a 6-700 pound animal like a kudu.

I shot an East African greater kudu in Tanzania with a .375 H&H Mag. with a raking shot, because it was the only shot I had at the only kudu bull I was lucky enough to see that trip. It killed him, but not until after he had run through thick bush for a quarter mile. And here's the point: the bullet, a premium 272 grain ABC soft point (SD .280--not bad) at 2,650 fps, did not exit. A 235 grain bullet in that caliber (like a 232 grain bullet in your 9.3) might not have done the job. Higher velocity doesn't make up for lower SD on tough shots on bigger animals.

The 232 grain bullets in your 9.3 will have an SD of less than .250, while the 250s will be right around .270 and the 286s will be over .300. So, if I were you, I'd choose the heavier, if not the heaviest, bullet for caliber, unless you are willing to pass on difficult, angled shots--which in some cases will be the only ones offered.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
I don't want to shoot Zebra and regular practice with 286gr full house loads would give me a bad flinch that I can do without!

Having just returned from the range with my 9.3x62mm, I know what you mean about the 286grn loads being thumpers.

Having said that I know I flinch..It all started with my .308 many years ago and although I have mastered it, I am not sure your ever really "cured"..

Sorry if this is teaching your mother to suck eggs, but this is what helped me.

Firstly, get some of those Speer .270grn and develope a good stout load...not fool hardy, just somewhere near maxium.

Next take your scope off and practice shooting with your open sights; I am sure at least part of the cause of a flinch is seeing/sensing the scope coming back into your face. Accuracy is not really an issue here and a range of 30yards or 50 yards is fine. Once you start to make progress make this practice more useful by snap shooting different targets or what have you..

Use double hearing protection ie plugs and ear defenders, especially if others are shooting in adjacent lanes..

Dry fire your rifle and practice your trigger control and breathing ect. Do this on the range inbetween "live shots"..Set your rifle up on sandbags/rests and when you dry fire, see how much the sight comes off the target..you will see the flinch at first..concentrate on the dry firing and it will lessen..If I am having problems I will often do this several times between "live" shots..it also allows the barrel to cool...This is best done with the scope of course...

Finally leave your 7x57mm in the cabinet, and go shoot some deer with the 9.3x62mm; get some confidence in it and of your ability to shoot it..if it ruins a little meat, just write it off for now...

Remember if I can do it, so can you, if you want to..If not, will you ever feel happy enough to use it on live quarry??

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
THEN WHY ASK???? Frowner If you have made up your mind!

Au contraire I have not made my mind up but stated in clear reasoned language my disagreement with some reasons given and further requested details of on game performance not brush, guts or ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:

Remember if I can do it, so can you, if you want to..If not, will you ever feel happy enough to use it on live quarry??

Your method would not work for me - 22rf practice is the only way for me.

I reckon a reduction in trigger weight and a little judicious practice coupled with some 250gr premiums (a frames or X's) will do it. I have just located a nice little Nova 4x32 which I'm tempted over my 1.5-6x42 with which I'm rather too prone too fiddle with.

posted Hide Post

I think a switch to the 250grn premiums is a great idea; best of both worlds..

I do get a bit of fouling from the 286grn Barns X but otherwise I like them...I think I have found a load which will group under 1" but I need to do a bit more work before I am totally happy...

One particular aspect I like is that being copper, the Barnes 286grn are quite long which means they seat quite deep in the case; I would imagine the 250grns would be the same. The 270grn Speer however barely seem to seat deep enough to be secure, although I can't say I have had any problems with them, they just make me feel a tad uneasy thats all..I have never tried the Noslers so can't really compare them..

With regards the scope, I bought a Meopta 4x32mm as a "spare" for my trip and I love the optics on it. The occular on the Meopta is a bit bulky, more suited to a 6x42mm or over I feel, but its OK..I would imagine your Nova is a bit more streamlined and I bet it would be a joy on your rifle.

Actually my Meopta is earmarked for a 22LR when I get back and if I decide to get another 4x32mm it will either be the new Leupold 4x32mm with the fully coated optics ect, or a 4x32 (or36mm?) S&B...As much as I like Swarovski, the fixed power S&B have a touch more eye relief which is important to me as I wear glasses.

For load deveopment I have been using an 8x56mm S&B and its not missed a heartbeat! The eye relief is such I have had no problems and its retained zero OK and has not moved in the mounts..I will be clacking some Charlie after my holiday so that will end up back on my .223 where I borrowed it from Smiler

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
pete you are completely right,

The only way is to get the rifle out on Deer and use it.

Early this season I passed up on at least 33-4 bucks in August thhat IU would have taken with the "old" rifle in a heartbeat, but apart from one lamping excursion, I have only used the Sauer. Result? lots of grassed deer (mainly bucks over prickets as I wanted to shoot bigger bodied animals) and a more confident ME!!!

I'm changing the round, but the flinch has gone.

I think you said you are planning on going in a year or two? Plenty of time to practice and get comfortable.

Incidentally it took a Scottish Ghillie to look at me shooting and tell me that the scope was in the wrong place for where I was resting my cheek. the Swaro was coming back into my eyebrow, but with the "cushioned" eyepeice I didn't feel it or appreciate its part in my flinch. Is there someone knowledgable that can watch you shoot paper?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
If the Kudu of a lifetime (65 inches or better)offers you only the Texas Heart shot as he ambles into a helluva thicket, do you really want that 7mm in hand?

I think a 7x57mm with 175 gr projectiles of good construction won't have a problem with a well aimed Texas heart shot.

The 7mm 175 gr is one of the best penetrating bullets around.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going for both buff and plains. I'm taking a 470 double for the buff and a CZ 9.3x62 for the plains, loaded with 286 gr Partitions. Although I have NUMEROUS choices (including a very light Weatherby 338-06 that is a tackdriver)I wanted to use a more "classic" caliber....plus I know the 9.3 is good for ANY plains game. $.02 from me. Best of luck on your decision.

Gary B.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote