THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is there a place to look for a hunting partner to go to Africa with?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a place to look for a hunting partner to go to Africa with?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
Looks like the two people who I was trying to get to go with me to Africa in May or June of 2009 are not going. Wife isn't going either (as much as she'd love to - she cannot fly, so she can't go.)

Is there a site, or place here, to post for trying to find another person to go along, or who might be planning already to go? Would love to do some 2x1 hunting so that I can experience my buddy's joy in the hunt while also filming, and vice versa.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
John,

Check out Leverguns Safarior contact myself or Joe Riekers twotube@optonline.com. This may just be what you are looking for.

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
This forum is probably as good a place as any to get the information out, but I don't think that is really the problem. Hunting in Africa requires a lot of organizational effort and a not insignificant expense. Most people would want to know the second hunter before considering a commitment to hunt together. The best place to meet AR people may be the Dallas Safari Show in January. Otherwise, from time to time members organize a picnic or outing to shoot overpowered rifles, but I have to travel too far to get to those so haven't done that yet.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Most people would not recommend a 2x1 safari except with a relative or a very close friend. It could work out very well for the right father/son combo. But even then, depending on the personalities, it could be tricky.

Time and effort are split. So, despite best wishes and intentions, without true generosity of spirit and deed, there is great potential for disappointment.

I am not trying to talk you out of this, but only pointing out a potentially significant pitfall.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think a 2x1 hunt with a father and son etc is a great idea, because it allows two people close to each other to share the hunting experience...... BUT I think it's a false economy otherwise. Sure you save a few dollars but you actually halve your hunting time. - Better to pay the higher amount and take full advantage of every hunting day.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat once, and teamed up with a fellow who posts here occasionally. We hunted together with JJHack at Landelani and had a great time and I certainly enjoyed his company. So much so that we teamed up again for another hunt at the same place. It's great to make friends like this and hope to hunt again with Mike some time in the future.

Yes you are taking a risk that you two won't hit it off, but talk to the other person alot (not just email) and it wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss it with your PH to see if there is a possibility of enacting Plan B if things don't work out between the two of you. FWIW, I've always found hunters, as a group, to be very nice people.

A few years ago, I was on a solo pheasant hunt in ND, when I asked a group of hunters in town for a recommendation for a place to eat dinner. They invited me to join them, and now I've hunted with them for 2 years and we're booked again for next year. Nice to make new friends. Give it a try.

As for a site, this place and www.24hourcampfire.com would be as good a any other place to team up with someone.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
It can be a good argument to propose to DRG: to open a new forum folder with this kind of needs.

Lonely hunter looks for a hunting buddy. Purpose hunting trip in Africa (or anywhere) etc etc.

If you take it seriously it can works

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
After hunting in Africa once I would never hunt 2X1 unless it was with my own son. It's a false economy.
I wouldn't mind hunting with someone else if they had their own p.h.
If you really want to find someone to hunt with then your local S.C.I. chapter would be a great place to start.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try posting a personal add, something like this:

"Lonely hunter seeks partner to share dangerous liaison in exotic, southern-hemisphere, locale. Cindy Garrison-types welcome (actually encouraged), as long as you can produce doctor's certificate guaranteeing chronic laryngitis for duration of trip. Must be open-minded about mounting animals for personal gratification. Financial contribution to trip commensurate with just how much like Cindy Garrison you look."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Big Grin

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now for my serious suggestion: I have found most of my safari-hunting partners by becoming active in our local SCI chapter. Just by attending a couple of events, I was able to pick out folks I'd love to share a mopane fire with, and others I wouldn't share a country with. Nothing like face-to-face social interaction to judge a person's character and compatibility.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I think a 2x1 hunt with a father and son etc is a great idea, because it allows two people close to each other to share the hunting experience...... BUT I think it's a false economy otherwise. Sure you save a few dollars but you actually halve your hunting time. - Better to pay the higher amount and take full advantage of every hunting day.

I would think that a sure fire way to test a friendship would be a 2x1 hunt. I would not want to risk a friend thinking that I was taking away from their experience by my hunting days. In my opinion, paying the difference to hunt 1x1 is money well spent.

Mike

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I was able to pick out folks I'd love to share a mopane fire with, and others I wouldn't share a country with. Nothing like face-to-face social interaction to judge a person's character and compatibility.

That's the truth!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must NOT resist GAHUNTER, you must not.

Cindy Garrison types? Please take your number, and line up Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seriously now,
I had both occasions, 1x1 and 2x1, and for next year two hunters that come at the range asked me to organize a trip like the one that I did twice. And to go with them as African/Namibian Eeker Roll Eyes expert

Next year I'll know which way is the best. But until now I found positive and negative in the two trips that I did in Namibia.

1x1 hunting trip Positive facts: it has been a full immersion of hunt, of Africa, of beatifull days,
exhausting because full and demanding.
Negative facts: even if it is easy for me to develop a friendship thanking also by the
character of my hosts, I really wished to share the experiences with someone
else, as I wished also to speak and discuss of the trip with a buddy in
Italian. I love to speak in English but it is however an effort for me.
2x2 hunting trip Positive facts: the same of the first trip, with the negative facts described above, of
course. I had occasion to be with my friend when he bagged a 57" kudu.

Negative facts: I had to work double to translate also for him from Italian to English and
viceversa (because despite of two years of postponement he did not want to
have any English course). I did my best of course, but obviously it was not
enough. He was semiisolate from the conversation. This and other little
negative facts (like the uncommon cold of this year or the loose of some
thing) and the inability to adapt to the situations made him loose
enthusiasm for the touristic part of the trip that followed the hunt.

For the next year the two hunters told me that they do not have problems in English speaking Big Grin so it should be the right situation. As we say in Italy " who will leave will see"

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
You know, the more and more I thought about it, the more I realize and understand that this is a very true statement. As much as a I love my dad , I think he wouldn't be a good companion to have along on a hunt like this. My best friend and my wife are the only two I think who would truly be a good match, and they are not able to go. So I guess going by myself may be my best bet.

quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Most people would not recommend a 2x1 safari except with a relative or a very close friend. It could work out very well for the right father/son combo. But even then, depending on the personalities, it could be tricky.

Time and effort are split. So, despite best wishes and intentions, without true generosity of spirit and deed, there is great potential for disappointment.

I am not trying to talk you out of this, but only pointing out a potentially significant pitfall.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, my parents are staying with me over the Thanksgiving week. I would like to take my dad to
Africa but he is saying things like "Why would you want to shoot that?" or "I get tired of all the shooting in these videos". Although he introduced me to hunting he is not really a dedicated hunter except he likes to hunt upland birds. I think he would be happier on a photo safari.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I just joined our local chapter! Going to the Christmas party/meeting and hopefully will begin to meet some good people.

quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Now for my serious suggestion: I have found most of my safari-hunting partners by becoming active in our local SCI chapter. Just by attending a couple of events, I was able to pick out folks I'd love to share a mopane fire with, and others I wouldn't share a country with. Nothing like face-to-face social interaction to judge a person's character and compatibility.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John ... I've wanted to go to Africa the 1st time I read Ruark as a teen-ager and it was a long time before I could afford both the time and money to make the trip. However each time I made plans with friends something always happened and the trip got cancelled. This happened to me 3 times until I said enough and went by myself. It would have been better with a hunting friend but it was still a great trip. I've given up on the idea of going with someone else (neither of my sons are interested in anything but upland game) as it lets me enjoy the trip at my own pace ... if I want to entend a couple of days ... or take a day off to rest ... or whatever.

One other thought! What may seem like the greatest guy in the world at a bar-b-q or playing golf may well turn out to be the worlds biggest pain-in-the-neck while hunting...best to have the audition hunting something to see how well he plays with others.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
John,

You have been given some good advice by a number of posters. But do you realise that in South Africa [and Namibia and others] it is a LEGAL requirement that you have a "hunting partner", namely your PH!

I do not know a single PH who does it only for the money! They all enjoy hunting with clients! At least all of those that I know enjoy the clients' company very much. While I can very well see the advantages and reasons for a "Father & Son" hunt, or two old buddies hunting together to share the experience, I have first hand knowledge of hunting 1X1 with first time Africa safari hunters.

Do not feel forced to go with a "new-found buddy". You may just as well enjoy the company of your "new found buddy" who is none other than your very own, unshared and 1X1 PH".

Just a different view of what other posters have advised.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
John,

You have been given some good advice by a number of posters. But do you realise that in South Africa [and Namibia and others] it is a LEGAL requirement that you have a "hunting partner", namely your PH!

I do not know a single PH who does it only for the money! They all enjoy hunting with clients! At least all of those that I know enjoy the clients' company very much. While I can very well see the advantages and reasons for a "Father & Son" hunt, or two old buddies hunting together to share the experience, I have first hand knowledge of hunting 1X1 with first time Africa safari hunters.

Do not feel forced to go with a "new-found buddy". You may just as well enjoy the company of your "new found buddy" who is none other than your very own, unshared and 1X1 PH".

Just a different view of what other posters have advised.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Pretty smart right there...You'd do well to listen to Mr. McLaren.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you make a lifelong friend, sometimes its a total disaster. I used to put folks together so they could get the discount of a 2x1, but I won't do that anymore, its just not worth it..

In a safari camp, you and the PH will normally become life long friends, and the only solo part of a safari is the airline trip alone and that in itself is sometimes a blessing, you can get some rest.

I have been on many single safaris and never been disapointed on that count.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41951 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
OK, you guys have convinced me! Gonna go solo on this one. If I get lonely I can always talk to myself . . . wait a sec, I do that already - LOL.

And thanks for talking me off the bell-tower. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it could be a disaster, or at least a major letdown, to have someone along who didn't have the same thoughts and feelings as you about certain things.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd still consider my silent Cindy Garrison alternative. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed with McLaren. If you do your research (or are just lucky), you could end up with a PH that you will enjoy visiting and hunting with for the rest of your life.