THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is the Cecil fiasco going to change your plans?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Cecil fiasco going to change your plans?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will you still go? Will you take any extra precautions?

We are still planning on going. However, we are going to get written confirmation on all the legalities.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I leave Tuesday for 25 days in Moz and Namibia hunting all the dangerous 7 except rhino and lion. I am not gonna let these liberal idiots stop me from doing what we love...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I will still go and it is not necessary to take extra precautions as long as you book with a reputable safari company.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Hell NO!!!!

Burkina Faso here I come.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way I am ever going to Africa, I'm still worried about catching Ebola.

holycow

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going but I'll be damned if I am taking any pictures of me and my trophy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

holycow

I'm still worried about catching a computer virus........ shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted lions 3 time and got 2. I am supost to go again next year but if I were a betting man lions will not be able to be imported to the us then and if that happens I wont go. So sad !

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the only thing that will stop my return to Africa is poor health or no money......i have another elephant hunt on tap for next Sept.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of killbill
posted Hide Post
jdollar...your sentiments are mine exactly!

Heading to the Save in late August and anti hunters be damned!

Posts: 37 | Location: Spartanburg SC | Registered: 20 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

holycow

I'm still worried about catching a computer virus........ shocker

Try wearing a condom Rick! jumping

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Cecil in particular but killing a wild lion has definitely curtailed my hunting.

Lion hunting (wild) is just not my thing. Did it once and will never do it again - just too magnificent an animal to be killed by someone like me who can pull a 3lb trigger on a 375H&H (and pay for the hunt). There I go sounding like a lion hugger.

If I make it (low probability) to the Save where I had to cancel the hunt earlier in the year - will be at end of year. I trust the guys at Save Safari - Leon DuPlessis and Mike Payne enough that I don't need to check anything with them. They are top notch honest guys.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has changed my plans.

I'm planning to stop worrying about ISIS or other Muslim loons and start worrying about my fellow Americans, who appear a whole lot more likely to limit my life, liberty or pursuit of happiness, then any ISIS retard.

(I know, I know, not supposed to use that word.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
It has changed my plans.

I'm planning to stop worrying about ISIS or other Muslim loons and start worrying about my fellow Americans, who appear a whole lot more likely to limit my life, liberty or pursuit of happiness, then any ISIS retard.

(I know, I know, not supposed to use that word.)

Damn right about that. PETA quote - "Palmer should be tried, convicted and preferably hanged."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got zero issues hunting in Africa. I do my due diligence before
And Only go with reputable guys. I do check the paperwork etc once on arrival, ie TR2
Etc. CM have a folder in camp for each clients hunt which the PH has.all info is in it.
Take a GPS if your concerned on boundaries etc, but with guys like CMS you will have no issues.

Cheers

NIck

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, as an attorney do you think that the USA will extradite the dentist? Scarey thought!

I don't put anything past Obama.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an attorney Frank.

Lots of problems in sending him to Zim. Those problems are for both governments.

I would bet more om Palmer being indicted here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Not an attorney Frank.

Lots of problems in sending him to Zim. Those problems are for both governments.

I would bet more om Palmer being indicted here.

If palmer indicted in us and its lacey act related and he wants qualified counsel its high 6 or 7 figures. Also the best lacey act lawyer that corporations use is an animal rights/anti hunting supporter.

You still want him protecting you if the us government is against you.

Palmer must be hating this adventure.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If this fiasco is having any impact on people's plans it ought to be to accelerate those plans. This incident highlights just how quickly public sentiment and support of hunting is waning. Go while you can.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
If this fiasco is having any impact on people's plans it ought to be to accelerate those plans. This incident highlights just how quickly public sentiment and support of hunting is waning. Go while you can.

Not so sure all african hunting is a risk. But am pretty sure lion and leopard will be joining elephants in being banned from being brought into us and europe.

The big five is becoming a buff hunt pretty damn fast. That is scary. Social media may be the tool that did trophy hunting in.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
Hasn't changed my plans. I still can't afford to go on the type of lion hunt I want to.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sneer if you want, but the concern is real. I leave witb Larry in few weeks and the concerns are real. My practice is referral based. My number one referral source is up in arms over this Cecil shit even though he is a casual hunter. Also 50% of my soutces are female.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave on a quota mop up in just over 60 days. Lion is a possibility although not likely. This won't change my plans. I have one of the last elephants out of Tanzania, why not add one of the last lions. Unfortunate as it is.

I am not a criminal lawyer and am not offering legal advice, but I fail to see how the U.S. could prosecute Palmer under the Lacey Act as the trophy was not imported, albeit due to the fact that it was diverted by the Zimbabwe authorities. Don't know if they can prosecute for conspiracy to violate the Act.

As to extradition, my initial reaction is that the US cannot serve up its citizens as lambs to the slaughter. Given that the Zimbabwe official who demanded Palmer's extradition characterized him as the "foreign poacher who has fled to his country of origin" I can't see that he has any chance of a fair trial there and I can't see the U.S. extraditing, but as I said, I'm not a criminal lawyer. They shouldn't until Uncle Bob is extradited to somewhere to stand trial for war crimes.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not a bloody chance!

My hunting plans are not going to change.

But, I have been saying it for donkey's years, make sure you hunt with trusted individuals, and you will have nothing to worry about.

I have never, ever, asked to see any paper work relating to my hunt and how legal it is.

I have put my trust in the people I am hunting with, and I have never been disappointed.

Now, if we really look at this lion poaching incident, it appears to me that all the 3 parties involved are of the same level.

The so called "land owner" is nothing but a connected crook who is friendly with another crook, Mugabe, and he managed to get someone's land taken away from them and given to him.

The PH must have known what is going on - if he did not, he should not have been a PH working there in the first place.

The client seems to be of those glorified by SCI's MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS - apparently he wanted a BIG elephant after his lion too.

Yep, I am going hunting, and will continue to hunt as long as I am able to.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Yep, still going to Zim in December.

Probably not going to do any more research than I typically do.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out with Palmer.

If he had a sterling reputation I'd feel bad for the guy. Unfortunately his previous transgression make you wonder if he knew what the situation was...

A helluva mess for sure.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris :

Exactly.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Not so sure all african hunting is a risk. But am pretty sure lion and leopard will be joining elephants in being banned from being brought into us and europe.

The big five is becoming a buff hunt pretty damn fast. That is scary. Social media may be the tool that did trophy hunting in.

Mike

As I feared when this first came to light in the internet media meat grinder......... it has already morphed to all trophy hunting. The Cecil the Lion topic on local CBC radio already made the jump to trophy hunting in Canada for local fauna like bears and cougars. This was two days ago.

None of it would change my plans to go for dangerous game in Africa, or more specifically for the big cats. Of course it is really a non-issue for me because there is no way in hell I could afford it in the first place, like about 99.5 % of the rest of the hunters on the planet. LOL

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Sneer if you want, but the concern is real. I leave witb Larry in few weeks and the concerns are real. My practice is referral based. My number one referral source is up in arms over this Cecil shit even though he is a casual hunter. Also 50% of my soutces are female.

Jeff

Jeff you are hunting with a A+ hunting partner Larry Shores. I would not worry info being disclosed.

Same time there is no logical or rational reason to disclose more about about a hunt that is needed which is zero.

Your professional endeavors have paid for the hunt - no rational reason to place that at risk for professional activist.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is business as usual for me, Africa 2016..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be at Sango hunting with Thierry in two weeks. I usually dress in regular travel attire but have been surprised by the number of hunters who dress like it's the first day of deer season ( slight exaggeration) when traveling. Of course it's up to you but I'm passed the point in my life I'm looking to foster confrontation in public places given the current events. My greater fear is the reaction of government officials on both sides. But then again that is always my greater fear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still planning my October hunt With Leon Katcheloffer in Zambia.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
damn glad i retired in Dec after a good 35 year run in medicine. no patients to piss off. i take no rifle and bring no trophies home anymore. the African countries still allowing it aren't going to completely shut down hunting, so this issue won't affect me. i feel sorry for those it will impact, both here and abroad....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
damn glad i retired in Dec after a good 35 year run in medicine. no patients to piss off. i take no rifle and bring no trophies home anymore. the African countries still allowing it aren't going to completely shut down hunting, so this issue won't affect me. i feel sorry for those it will impact, both here and abroad....

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I intend to keep my plans to hunt in Moz next year with Kambaku Safaris. Last year they told us exactly how many of each species they had on quota so I know I am hunting with a totally ethical outfit.

If you don't do it now it may be too late one day. The anti's are winning the PR war I'm afraid.

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Plans to go next year for Lion and trophy elephant. Would have gone this year except had total hip replacement surgery in June.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received an offer for a big four plus croc and sable hunt supposed to start tomorrow original client cancelled out at last minute ...

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems that people currently "in the field" hunting Elephant or cats "outside Hwange" have "changed" their plans ... their hunts have been abruptly and unilaterally cancelled. Presumably this includes all the Matetsi units, the Forestry areas, and the communal areas in Matabeleland ... my guess is at least a half dozen hunts. Plus another two dozen or so for the balance of the season for these species in these areas ... and the govt of Zim is begging for donations to make up for the loss of hunting revenue ... what about the loss of deposits, loss of trophies already in the salt, and the pay checks of dozens of employees at each and every safari company that operates in this area and no doubt other areas across Zim as hunters pull in their horns for the balance of this season.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that this area is "Matabeleland" now would it?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
It seems that people currently "in the field" hunting Elephant or cats "outside Hwange" have "changed" their plans ... their hunts have been abruptly and unilaterally cancelled.

... and the govt of Zim is begging for donations to make up for the loss of hunting revenue ...

Really interesting that the govt of Zim is asking for help to counter the repercussions of their own decision.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are thinking all the anti's who are bitching about the lion will throw money there way. Wait till they find out all the anti's do is talk and feel sorry for animals. Then when they see the money does not come in to them they will figure a way to spin it so hunters come back. They are cutting there own throat on this one just to dumb to see it now.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote