New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Duncan Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just read in the Safari Times that Dan Duncan passed away.

My kind of guy: self made billionaire who loved to hunt but gave generously.

We might love to talk about guys in print, on TV, etc, but this guy killed just about everything on the planet.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I saw his obit last night. He was 77 if I remember right and passed from a brain hemorrage. He was quite the hunter, and as you said a self made man. Trophy room was the envey of anyone. My condolences to his family.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
My kind of guy: self made billionaire who loved to hunt but gave generously.

We might love to talk about guys in print, on TV, etc, but this guy killed just about everything on the planet.

And a Texan too! Pretty hard to beat that!!!

RIP Mr. Duncan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
"Death, But Not Taxes" was a lead story on MSN yesterday. By dying in 2010, with a gross estate of $9 Billion, Duncan saved his heirs as much as $4 Billion (BILLION WITH A "B") in federal estate taxes.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
"Death, But Not Taxes" was a lead story on MSN yesterday. By dying in 2010, with a gross estate of $9 Billion, Duncan saved his heirs as much as $4 Billion (BILLION WITH A "B") in federal estate taxes.

Talk about good estate planning...

On a more serious note, its sad to mark the passing of any fine hunter, let alone a fellow who has accomplished so much in his life, in hunting and in other arenas.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gosh Will, I forgot about that! He must be laughing in heaven!

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm sure he would rather have paid the taxes.

But may he rest in peace, and his heirs and legatees enjoy his largess.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the most impressive part I've read so far.

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
I had the priviledge of hunting with Dan for Elephant in the Tsholotsho area, through S and S Safaris. This was back in the early 1990's.

He was a thorough gentleman,and an honourable man.

My condolences to his family. RIP.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who remembers that Dan Duncan, Mike Simpson from Conroe Taxidermy and Bob Kern from the hunting Consortium all got busted wacking moose and sheep out of a helicopter in Russia? Rich, yes. Smart, yes. Shrewd businessman, yes. My kind of guy, sportsman, hunter, honourable man, not really.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 gibbs,

Considering you don't know all the facts, I wouldn't try to sour this man's memory. Just because you are accused of a crime, doesn't by any means prove you are guilty.

Mike and Dan are a few of the greatest hunters who've lived in the last 50 yrs, and they have both dedicated their lives to hunting and conservation. Don't make the mistake that so often many AR members make by running their mouth off about shit...they know nothing about.

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 11 June 2010 06:05 Hide Post

obama will want to dig him up again so he can get his hands on the $$

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Oryx, you really think you are privy to what I do or don't know. Well let me tell you what Dan Duncan said, he and Mike Simpson shot moose & sheep off of a shooting platform on a Helicopter. And, it was not his first time as his defense was ignorance because he had done it before and had no problems. And you consider these 2 "a few of the greatest hunters who've lived in the last 50 years"? You speak volumes by identifying the men you respect. They both appear to me to be more safari club trash who know that they have enough money to do what they please and not worry about repercussions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...391099921#4391099921

Here is the thread from March about his passing along with trophy room photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Am I the only one who remembers that Dan Duncan, Mike Simpson from Conroe Taxidermy and Bob Kern from the hunting Consortium all got busted wacking moose and sheep out of a helicopter in Russia? Rich, yes. Smart, yes. Shrewd businessman, yes. My kind of guy, sportsman, hunter, honourable man, not really.[/QUOTE)

Government dropped the case. Get your facts right,

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
[quote/] According to the indictment, "Kern used helicopters to locate trophy-sized moose and sheep for hunters on the trip. The helicopters were then used as airborne shooting platforms by the hunters."

Duncan testified before a Houston grand jury in July that he did not know it was against the law to hunt from an aircraft, particularly because he had done so in Russia many years before. [/quote]

I didn't say that he was convicted or even idicted, I just told you that he personally admitted to doing something that is reprehensable in my eyes as a hunter. I personally try not to make our corrupt judicial and political system my moral marker for what is and isn't acceptable. I also found it remarkable that if it was not an issue, why did't Mike and Travis Simpson include it in their Safari Magazine article about the hunt. I stand by my original post, neither are what I would consider "Sportsman". Maybe you and a couple others should remove your tycoon worship goggles. Just because someone has been successful in business, or are a leading member of some club you wish you could be in, doesn't excuse them from the rules that apply to us all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone get their facts straight before posting statements on AR. I don't think anyone takes an oath before posting. Eeker Big Grin flame

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Fact----Duncan always admitted that he shot from a helicopter.
Fact----He thought it was legal because the chief Russian game warden(or what ever they are called) who was also on the helicopter told him to shoot.
What would you have done?????????????????

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fact----He thought it was legal because the chief Russian game warden(or what ever they are called) who was also on the helicopter told him to shoot.

When was the last time that someone admitted to a crime and got to plead the "ignorance" claim? I didn't know it was illegal to steal that car? Whatever. You ask what I would have done? I would have spent my days in Russia hunting my ass off until I found the trophy I wanted to take. And if I got to the end of my trip and struck out, I would have no regrets. I would not have "punked" out and hired some pilot to fly me across the concession so I could snipe some poor animal from the skies above. And you and everyone else in this sport (including Dan Duncan and Mike Simpson) know this, otherwise, why would they not have included the real details in their Safari magazine article? Because they know what they did was shameful. And shame should be equally applied to those who follow these "sportsman" around like puppy dogs, defending them in hopes of being their friends or getting dropped a scrap. This is the foundation of what is wrong with hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

When was the last time that someone admitted to a crime and got to plead the "ignorance" claim? I didn't know it was illegal to steal that car? Whatever. You ask what I would have done? I would have spent my days in Russia hunting my ass off until I found the trophy I wanted to take. And if I got to the end of my trip and struck out, I would have no regrets. I would not have "punked" out and hired some pilot to fly me across the concession so I could snipe some poor animal from the skies above. And you and everyone else in this sport (including Dan Duncan and Mike Simpson) know this, otherwise, why would they not have included the real details in their Safari magazine article? Because they know what they did was shameful. And shame should be equally applied to those who follow these "sportsman" around like puppy dogs, defending them in hopes of being their friends or getting dropped a scrap. This is the foundation of what is wrong with hunting.
tu2 clap

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
[quote/] According to the indictment, "Kern used helicopters to locate trophy-sized moose and sheep for hunters on the trip. The helicopters were then used as airborne shooting platforms by the hunters."

Duncan testified before a Houston grand jury in July that he did not know it was against the law to hunt from an aircraft, particularly because he had done so in Russia many years before.

I didn't say that he was convicted or even idicted, I just told you that he personally admitted to doing something that is reprehensable in my eyes as a hunter. I personally try not to make our corrupt judicial and political system my moral marker for what is and isn't acceptable. I also found it remarkable that if it was not an issue, why did't Mike and Travis Simpson include it in their Safari Magazine article about the hunt. I stand by my original post, neither are what I would consider "Sportsman". Maybe you and a couple others should remove your tycoon worship goggles. Just because someone has been successful in business, or are a leading member of some club you wish you could be in, doesn't excuse them from the rules that apply to us all.[/QUOTE]

505:

I was not aware of this incident. Hunting from a helicopter, even when legal (like in NZ) is reprehensible.

I recalled his trophy room pics from other posts and am interested in MLPs, so I am aware of his company as well.

But if he did admit this, it really does reflect badly on us. I can't believe Kern would do that either. Sad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I the only one who remembers that Dan Duncan, Mike Simpson from Conroe Taxidermy and Bob Kern from the hunting Consortium all got busted wacking moose and sheep out of a helicopter in Russia? Rich, yes. Smart, yes. Shrewd businessman, yes. My kind of guy, sportsman, hunter, honourable man, not really.

I agree with you and yes I do remember. I wonder how many of his SCI records were obtained in a less than ..............sportsman like manner.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

I agree with you and yes I do remember. I wonder how many of his SCI records were obtained in a less than ..............sportsman like manner.

DITTO

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe Kern would do that either. Sad.

Bob Kern was actually the only one indicted of Lacey Act violations in this fiasco. The "witness" in Russia apparently became unwilling to testify, I wonder how much that cost Dan? How sad, when a man gets to a point in his life where he can show a receipt for everything he owns.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Mr. Duncan is past caring.

De mortuis nil nisi bonum.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I went to the Hunting Consortium website and see Kern is endorsed by Boddington, Shockey, and Steve Hornady.

So what is the deal here? Whatever happened?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't deny him shooting something from a helicopter, and personally I don't care how or what he shot from where. Every hunter has the right to choose how he hunts as long as it is legal...now if a gov. official is telling me something, I think that most of us would take it as gospel.

Now, to support my claims as being one of the greatest hunters, there are few people in the world who will have hunted as many species and gone to the far reaches of the earth to shoot them.

Also, there are few, if any who have given so much money, especially a self made man, rags to riches, not some trust fund baby, to charity.

HELLO- 2 seperate gifts of a 100,000,000 = $200,000,000 for cancer research, and countless amounts of other funds for conservation, hunter education, and hunting/fishing trips for handicapped children and low-income kids to introduce them to the great outdoors.

So yeah, he will forever be remembered as one of the greatest and most generous hunters who has lived in the last 50 yrs.

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a problem with "hunting" from a helicopter as well. That said this was not the time or place to discuss it. One should show somw respect for the dead. If you want to bang on this lets take it to a new thread. The guy was still a self made man and hunted all over the place. He did have an excpetontal trophy room. Whatever happened in the Russia incident should out of politeness be discussed ellswhere.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never knew Dan as a personal friend, but knew people who knew him and had hunted with him, and they said he was a good guy, and fun to share a camp with. When I was hunting Sambar in Australia, the guide I had said Dan had been in camp a few weeks before, and he enjoyed hunting with him. He made some big money in his business dealings, and was able to hunt all over the world. There are worse things to spend your money on. I wish I were able to do the same.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, my AR at its worst!

May Dan RIP and condolences to fam and friends.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT IS LEGAL AND WHAT IS ETHICAL. shooting game from a chopper certainly is NOT ethical hunting and Duncan frankly and freely admitted to doing it. the fact that it probably(???) was legal doesn't change what he did.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote