THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Another Elephant incident involving a guide

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Elephant incident involving a guide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After a fairly quiet season it appears that Oct/Nov have been the months for some serious DG incidents, below is an excerpt from an email sent to me by a friend who is involved in the management of the area, the guys who operate there know their stuff and are properly trained on DG. The incident happened this week, not 100% sure but as far as i know all guides carry .458 Lott.

"Following on from my earlier email regarding the elephant incident which occurred this morning.

The incident has been investigated and a brief summary follows.

A guided walk from XYZ walking safaris consisting of seven guests and two guides encountered a small herd of elephants in the river bed.
The lead guide instructed the party to backup as they were too close. The backup guide led the guests away and back down the path while the lead guide followed some distance behind.
A young bull approached from the river side and ran towards the lead guide who had placed himself between the elephant and the retreating guests. The guide was charged and at approximately three meters fired a shot at the elephant. The bull then impacted with the guide who fell to the ground loosing his rifle, the elephant fell on him.
The backup guide fired four shots and killed the elephant.
The lead guide crawled out from partially under the dead animal and together with the backup guide and the guests immediately left the scene.

In conclusion, the two guides although young and relatively inexperienced handled the situation very well and their actions were assessed to be in accordance with prescribed procedures.
Fortunately no one was injured in the incident, this certainly would not have been the case had a backup guide not been employed.

A full report on the incident will be submitted to reserve management."

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
2009 certainly seems to have been a particularly bad year for these incidents.

Let's hope that 2010 will bring considerably fewer.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
It still amazes me how many people fai to acknowledge how dangerous these animals can be. (I mean outside of hunting/safari circles)

At least everyone finished up safe, but I'm not sure how i'd feel about an elephant falling on top of me!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw a piece on Travel Chanel last night from Kruger.
A group of turists were walking a dry riverbed with an armed guide when he discovered two newborn lion cubs in the grass along the river.
The female lion was in the high grass clearly visible.
Still he took a couple of the tourists pluss the camera man close up to the cubs.

It did not look like a very smart thing to do, but I suppose he knew his business.
Anyway an incident can develop within seconds among DG.

He cambered a round before doing this, but still...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with that, just leave them alone. Carry a pair of binos or a camera with a long lens.
Most everything in Africa can out run you and will kill you if you upset it.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Maynard:
After a fairly quiet season it appears that Oct/Nov have been the months for some serious DG incidents, below is an excerpt from an email sent to me by a friend who is involved in the management of the area, the guys who operate there know their stuff and are properly trained on DG. The incident happened this week, not 100% sure but as far as i know all guides carry .458 Lott.

"Following on from my earlier email regarding the elephant incident which occurred this morning.

The incident has been investigated and a brief summary follows.

A guided walk from XYZ walking safaris consisting of seven guests and two guides encountered a small herd of elephants in the river bed.
The lead guide instructed the party to backup as they were too close. The backup guide led the guests away and back down the path while the lead guide followed some distance behind.
A young bull approached from the river side and ran towards the lead guide who had placed himself between the elephant and the retreating guests. The guide was charged and at approximately three meters fired a shot at the elephant. The bull then impacted with the guide who fell to the ground loosing his rifle, the elephant fell on him.
The backup guide fired four shots and killed the elephant.
The lead guide crawled out from partially under the dead animal and together with the backup guide and the guests immediately left the scene.

In conclusion, the two guides although young and relatively inexperienced handled the situation very well and their actions were assessed to be in accordance with prescribed procedures.
Fortunately no one was injured in the incident, this certainly would not have been the case had a backup guide not been employed. A full report on the incident will be submitted to reserve management."

More details? Names of guides, where it happened, when it happened?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote