New
Find
Notify
Tools

5 hunters arrested in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is all sorts of crap offered at the shows. Buyer beware.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Far too murky to make an informed decision.

But, I will repeat it again.

If anyone is going to hunt in Zimbabwe, why bother to book through a South African PH or outfit?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If anyone is going to hunt in Zimbabwe, why bother to book through a South African PH or outfit?

Besides the point, but just for the record, at one time I also could legally offer some DG hunts in Zimbabwe.

In follow up to Saeed's post, what I'll like to have explained is: How can a South African Hunting Outfitter offer any hunt at a more competitive cost than a Zimbabwean hunting outfitter, without taking some shortcuts?

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Besides the point, but just for the record, at one time I also could legally offer some DG hunts in Zimbabwe.

In follow up to Saeed's post, what I'll like to have explained is: How can a South African Hunting Outfitter offer any hunt at a more competitive cost than a Zimbabwean hunting outfitter, without taking some shortcuts?

Andrew,

My post is not a swipe at honest PHs from South Africa, where the majority are.

But, it seems we regularly hear of South African PHs getting involved in shady deals in Zimbabwe.

That of course leads us to those shady characters in Zimbabwe who make all this possible.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I certainly did not see your posting as a swipe at any honest South African hunting outfitters! Maybe you misunderstood my post? Or, much more likely, maybe I did not communicate my thoughts well?

The point that I tried to make is that South African Hunting Operators offering "legal" hunts in Zimbabwe have additional costs over and above what Zimbabwean hunting outfitters have. My question is, how, given these additional costs of e.g. traveling to Zimbabwe, border crossings and a multitude of other cost items that needs to be recovered, can such a South African hunting outfitter offer any "better deal" than a Zimbabwe-based hunting outfitter can?

Sure, I know that some clients "falls in love" with their first ever used PH and wish to progress to hunting DG with "only him"> But then these clients can reasonably expect to be asked to bear the additional cost of insisting to hunt with a particular South African PH or HO working with a Zimbabwean PH or HO.

Where a prospective client is offered a significantly "better deal" in Zimbabwe by a South African hunting outfitter than that what he can get from a Zimbabwean hunting outfitter I say: Beware! There may be a shortcut involved that could cost you dearly.

I simply fail to see how a South African HO can, without resorting to illegal shortcuts, offer a better deal in Zimbabwe than what a Zimbabwean HO can do for the same hunt. Anyone claiming to be able to do so withing the Zimbabwean law must please explain how??????

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So my question is: is Zim as effective in catching native poachers or just the easy ones which probably have cash to buy their way out? Is this a true indication of the effectiveness of the anti-poaching operation or just "show"?

Who are the players exactly?

Stinky mess none the less

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also wonder just how credible an acquittal is in a Zim court.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'd say color and minority ( like white, Ndebele & other minor tribes ), majority ( Shona ) matters
It only makes sense
Just like being let's say from New York and getting stopped in Utah. You get more likely ticket then local guy
Just my way of looking at things.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imagine paying off judges is a national past time. Of course, that is just an idea based upon numerous trips to Zim and making a lot of observations.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote