New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Taylor on dangerous game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you actually experienced the .416 Taylor on dangerous game?

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I have NOT used this on danergous game.. but plenty of people have, in the WRONG CCALIBER BULLET (ducking)..

think of it as a better SD 404 jeffery... with a proper .416 bullet, rather than a mudduck .423

(boy, I am in for it.. wait till rusty see this)

jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with the Taylor on dangerous game. I know a safari operator in South Africa who has his PH's using 98 Mausers with McMillan stocks chambered for 416 Taylor. They are backing up buffalo clients with them. The load is Hornady RNSP 400 grain bullets at 2260 fps and Woodleigh 400 grain solids at the same velocity. He says he Hornady's work quite well on buffalo...fwiw. Hope this helps!

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with the Taylor on dangerous game. I know a safari operator in South Africa who has his PH's using 98 Mausers with McMillan stocks chambered for 416 Taylor. They are backing up buffalo clients with them. The load is Hornady RNSP 400 grain bullets at 2260 fpsand Woodleigh 400 grain solids at the same velocity. He says he Hornady's work quite well on buffalo...fwiw. Hope this helps!

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358PCAK: In 1988 I began using a .416 Taylor for my African hunting. The cartridge proved to be an effective killer on all species of African wildlife. As to dangerous game: I have killed elephant (5), cape buffalo (6), and lion (1). My wife has killed elephant (1), and buffalo (2) using the .416 Taylor. Mostly, using 400gr. Trophy Bonded Bullets, both softs/solids. The only dis-advantage with the cartridge, as I see it, is the fact there are no commercial ammo manufacturers. However, as a handloader, I personally don't consider this an impediment. Altho I have used a .458WM on occasion to take jumbo, and buffalo, I never felt as tho I was under-gunned when using the .416 Taylor for dangerous game.
As an aside...had Remington introduced their cartridge a year earlier, I very likely would not have gone to the bother of having the Taylor put together. Having said that; after fifteen trips to Africa using the Taylor for everything, I wouldn't trade it for the .416 Remington, or the the old tried, and true,.416 Rigby. The Taylor has served quite well all these years, and has never let me/us down.
JLS

Posts: 96 | Location: Evergreen,Co., USA | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
You better sleep with one eye open!!!!!

We must all forgive him for he knows not what he said, his soul is infested by the evilness of William Tibbe, a common ailment of big bore enthusiests!!

I take that back, thats going too far!

Now to the question at hand: To answer the post, the 416 Taylor is as effective as the 416 Remington or Rigby for all practical purposes, but considering the very little extra effort to go with a 416 Remington I see very little usefullness for a wildcat cartridge that has no properly stamped brass, operates at a little higher pressure to get like velocity...

Not a bad round at all, but pretty much defunct with the addition of the 416 Remington IMO

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Heh,,,
get your goat Ray?

just playing with ya buddy... I read an interesting article in gun-test that suggested the 416 taylor be considered more of a 404 than a 416 rigby replacement... seemed to make sense, and i KNEW you and rusty couldn't let that one alone

jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Interesting reading. I had my Taylor built in 2000 and have limited experience: 8 moose. My rifle is a handy M98 with a Shilen barrel at 2,9 kg. It is accurate and pleasant to shoot. Hope I some day can take it to Africa and �battle a buff��

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote