THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Blood and Sweat, No Tears Yet!!!!!!!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood and Sweat, No Tears Yet!!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from my daily session of abusing my tired old body (I turn 56 in two weeks) in preparation for my safari in May/June. I have been doing weight training three days a week, running three miles on a treadmill three days a week, and walking whenever I want to. Today, I put on the boots I will take and did three miles in the South Georgia heat to get them nice and broken in. I have lost about 25 lbs since January and am getting into pretty good shape. At a recent physical, my blood pressure, cholestrol etc was all excellent and I feel better than I have for a long time. I had sugery to fuse four verterbrae in my neck in July of 2003, and got the green light from the doctor to start working out again in January. I leave on May 26, with JudgeG and am pumped now and feel like I will be as ready as I can. I have learned a lot reading this forum, and have gotten some good advice from some nice folks. I am now the proud owner of a CZ 550 375 H&H, a TuffPak, and a host of other items. I have practiced with my rifle, and have enough empty brass to melt down and build a brass bed. I have read Ruark, Capstick, and Nyati. I have learned some Swahili and have done everything I can think of to get ready. Anybody got any suggestions as to what else I can do???

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a Great time

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have my sympathes considering your pick of hunting partners, but you are smart to get in shape because the slowest member of the group is the one that get et, when something charges..always remember that...and Ernie will be the slowest one, I can guarentee that...but I have to tell you lots of cigarets and whiskey is another way of getting in shape!

Maybe the three of us can do a Bison hunt when you get back..

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
As a quick physical conditioning process get a pack frame, put three concrete blocks on it. dress in wool longjohns then the outer clothing you'll be wearing, put on your boots with 5 ot 10 pounds on each ankle, get your rifle and other gear loaded on you and carry a four man raft with you every where you go with all you other gear. Do this for a week or two, all the while thinking how much you hate lions, water buffalos, etc.
Once you get to Africa you won't need to shoot the animal you can just run up to him and punch him out.
The upside of this regieme is your wife will be so pleased you are in Africa and think the money was well spent.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1115:

If after the practice with the rifle you can put your shots in a 6-8" circle at 50 yards, offhand - yeah, you're almost ready. Almost? The last step is to relax and enjoy the adventure of a lifetime! Your PH will turn out to be an interesting guy and he will be absolutely delighted that you got yourself into shape -and even more important - can shoot. (He'll give you a private test under the pretext that you are checking the zero on the rifle after arriving. He wants to see if you're comfortable with the rifle and don't flinch) Believe me, PHs will go all out for a client who has tried to get himself ready for the hunt of a life time! It's the types who never practiced and never tried to get into shape that worry them. (BTW, I was 63 when I went for Cape buffalo and you sound like you could be my brother. It really does pay off. I mean it. Just relax now and go. (Don't get too relaxed in front of nyati!)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, now I'm confused. Do I shoot the circle before or after the cigaretts and whiskey, and should the raft have a motor on it??

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anybody got any suggestions as to what else I can do???

Pour yourself a whisky and sit in a quiet place in your home. Take a few moments to remember where you came from. Your boyhood home, your first kiss, your first car, the first time you realized that you were really alive.

Imagine that, in a short amount of time from now, you will be living through one of those experiences.

How will you retain those memories? Will your pictures and diary be enough? Will you ever be able to fully describe what you experienced? Will those, who have never been, understand your passion upon your return?

Will you respect those who have preceded you? Will you honor the beasts that you have slain? Will you find joy in the little things? Will you forgive yourself and others for mistakes that are bound to occur?

What else can you do? Find the space inside you that you have reserved for this time in your life and fill it to the brim.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
T. Carr,

Those are wise words. Your post should be permanently placed right there with the "Questions to ask the Booking Agent/Outfitter" and the "Packing List".

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Folks:

Ain't I lucky to have friends like 1115 and Ray. This is not my first safari, of course, but I'm even more pumped up than 1115, I believe, and anyone who has been, knows why.

If any reader is contmeplating finally going ahead and doing it... Dad-gummit... DO IT. Put down a deposit, pick a booking agent and go. The only thing for sure about a safari is that the first time won't be the last!

1115, my friend, we don't have to wait much longer. One month and a wake-up!!!!!

And if anyone wonders, 1115 can hit the eye of a gnat at 100 meters with his CZ.. of course, we have a zillions gnats per square inch, around here. Actually, he is a certified firearms instructor and quite the shot. He'll do well and I'm lucky to be hunting and traveling with him.

As to his getting in shape... I've lost 30 lbs. too. In any case, I'll just tie his shoe laces together right before he shoots.. I should be able to get a few yards head start.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1115: Sounds like you're ready. Just enjoy the trip. Don't overdo your workouts getting ready, I'll be 52 in 2 weeks myself and I have had a couple of accidents in the last few years while working out. It would really suck if you can't go on a hunt due to injury.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote