New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why this 7x57 craze..??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rigby making it, Ruger making limited series, etc..

Is it pure nostalgia or what..wet Corbett and Bell dreams.. stir ?

I would love a new Rigby, but make mine a .308Win.. fishing

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It punches way above its weight. The Rigby .275 I used-to own knocked over heaps of big buffalo and boars with 175 grain Woodleigh PPSNs.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of Europe recognised the superiority of the 7x64 Brenneke not long after its introduction in 1917

sofa

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If so...why not choose the 8x57 instead, with a 196 grainer..?

That makes sense.. Cool

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
You could say the same thing about the 404 Jeffery, this old one seems to be having a real resurgence of late too.

Both these cartridges just quietly get on and do the job, both known for their effectiveness on the game they were designed for and do it without fuss or bother. What more could you want from a cartridge.

Of course many other cartridges do the job too but they only emulate these two originals.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
Most of Europe recognised the superiority of the 7x64 Brenneke not long after its introduction in 1917

sofa

I use both of these round and find them both great tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
It punches way above its weight. The Rigby .275 I used-to own knocked over heaps of big buffalo and boars with 175 grain Woodleigh PPSNs.

Hay Ben a good mate ended up with that Rifle. Why did you send it on its way??

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
I'm currently building a 7x57.. for me its a "just because" project..

I picked up an old spanish mauser action for next to nothing a few weeks back and thought it would be fun to have a 7x57, so thats what Im going with.. I have no real purpose for the rifle in mind..

I seriously doubt it will replace my 308's as my "go-to" hunting rifle for deer and hogs.. but it will be something else in the safe when Im done with it and will probably get used occasionally when Im feeling nostalgic or something..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nostalgia has a lot to do with it. If you wanted a mild 7mm it is much easier to go 7-08.

I'm building a 275 because I have lots of 7mm bullets in 120-150 gr range and several mausers. The history is a big part of it, plus the soft spoken 7 just gets things done

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nostalgia + (Performance - Recoil) = What's Not To Like Wink

Mike

Posts: 21672 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto DFW
I have a 7MM build going as well.
Interarms action
A straight grained Boyd's stock / red decelerator
Shilen Barrel
Parkerized finish rings/action/ barrel/ bottom metal
Trigger job
Now for bedding and stock finish

I thought "Just Because" as well and I am a 30 caliber guy. Never considered 7mm before.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that a 7-08 with 154 RN bullets is deadly on PG.

Any caliber with a fast twist barrel as standard is amazingly effective with long, heavy bullets. 6.5x55, 7x57 being notable examples.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 really has it. As said above it seems to punch above it's weight.
I carried one for years in a Husq. Crown Grade Light Weight in the Canadian Rockies.
I now have a TC Encore with a custom barrel in 7x57 AI. Lots of nice bullets available now too. CEB, Swift, etc.
Mostly, I think, it's the nostalgia/history factor.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think its nostalgia at all, perhaps just a tad because Bell killed elephants with it..

The 7x57 to start with is probably or argueably the most efficient caliber I know off, mild of voice, mild of recoil, yet it kills as well as the 30-06..Its penetration qualities are about as close to perfect as can be. velocity is excellent, bullet weight is excellent, Its fine for the kid and the wife as well as the most experienced hunter, Many famous hunters used it and all praised it, Jack O'Connor, Finn Aagaard, and everyone of the famous PHs of Africa...It is the lightest caliber I would feel comfortable with to hunt any animal on earth with...A craze, two instances isn't a craze, its been in print and praise for ions, its very popular world wide and hard to beat once you shuffle through all the anti 7x57 BS...Are there better calibers in some instances? of course there are for some usage, but it rates right up there with the 270, 280, and 30-06 on game they are designed for..I know from using it on deer, elk, PG and 7 or 8 Cape buffalo during a cull hunt, it works if you stick the bullet in the right spot, but then doesn't that apply to the .375 H&H or the 600 N.E. also..The 7x57 is considerably better than the 7-08, but you must handload it as factory ammo for it is loaded down because of the early Mausers and falling block rifles..Not saying the 7-08 isn't a fine round, it is, but will not hold the same amount of powder the larger 7x57 case holds. That's common knowledge..

Just my take on the 7x57, but it needs no more praise, it has a great history and those that have used never seem to question it. Those that don't just don't know better! old

BTW, the 7x64 or the 8x57 has never been as popular anywhere in the world as the 7x57, the 7x64, a good caliber, but is all but defunct these days. The 8x57, although a good caliber is only found in milsurp mausers and older European guns these days..the only reason the 8x57 has survived is because of those old milsurp mausers..I know of no American made 8x57 and damn few 7x64 floating around the states..Thats the real scoop, not someones improvised idea of the situation in question. stir sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Europe 7x64 and 8x57 are close behind 308 and 30-06 sales. Far from dead for good reason.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eleanor O'Connor

Posts: 1916 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't think its nostalgia at all, perhaps just a tad because Bell killed elephants with it..

The 7x57 to start with is probably or argueably the most efficient caliber I know off, mild of voice, mild of recoil, yet it kills as well as the 30-06..Its penetration qualities are about as close to perfect as can be. velocity is excellent, bullet weight is excellent, Its fine for the kid and the wife as well as the most experienced hunter, Many famous hunters used it and all praised it, Jack O'Connor, Finn Aagaard, and everyone of the famous PHs of Africa...It is the lightest caliber I would feel comfortable with to hunt any animal on earth with...A craze, two instances isn't a craze, its been in print and praise for ions, its very popular world wide and hard to beat once you shuffle through all the anti 7x57 BS...Are there better calibers in some instances? of course there are for some usage, but it rates right up there with the 270, 280, and 30-06 on game they are designed for..I know from using it on deer, elk, PG and 7 or 8 Cape buffalo during a cull hunt, it works if you stick the bullet in the right spot, but then doesn't that apply to the .375 H&H or the 600 N.E. also..The 7x57 is considerably better than the 7-08, but you must handload it as factory ammo for it is loaded down because of the early Mausers and falling block rifles..Not saying the 7-08 isn't a fine round, it is, but will not hold the same amount of powder the larger 7x57 case holds. That's common knowledge..

Just my take on the 7x57, but it needs no more praise, it has a great history and those that have used never seem to question it. Those that don't just don't know better! old

BTW, the 7x64 or the 8x57 has never been as popular anywhere in the world as the 7x57, the 7x64, a good caliber, but is all but defunct these days. The 8x57, although a good caliber is only found in milsurp mausers and older European guns these days..the only reason the 8x57 has survived is because of those old milsurp mausers..I know of no American made 8x57 and damn few 7x64 floating around the states..Thats the real scoop, not someones improvised idea of the situation in question. stir sofa

I get it...a soft manageable round for old old beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Remington made a run of 8x57's in their Model 700 Classic series.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Companies that make rifles have to sell rifles.

Truth be told, even the most avid world hunter only 'needs' 5 or 6 different cartridges. Everything after that is gravy.

So you gotta do something.

Much easier to take a proven round and create buzz rather than create a new cartridge.

That said, the 7mm Mauser is hardly a craze outside of certain Internet forums,internet only Hornady ammo, and a handful of Ruger rifles.

You wanna see a 'craze'?
6.5 Creedmoor.
That's a craze.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lovely 7x57 on a German 98. It is built into a slim trim rifle that simply loves 140 grain Nosler Partitions. I have hunted WY, TX, NM, and MO with the rifle. Like others have said it gets the job done with little fuss. Light on recoil and heavy on effectiveness. I had a chance to buy one as a teen. Foolishly I passed it up. Now that I have one I realize how foolish I was. The round does suffer from lack of press and all the hype over bigger faster cartridges. I have lots of other cartridges to hunt with as well but the little 7 is just fun.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .303 British will be the next craze followed by the .45-70 on buffalo!!!!

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 has a long, illustrious history behind it, and I am sure that this has much do do with the sudden upsurge in popularity. Beyond that, however, I am sure like myself, most of those who have become enamored with the idea of a milder 7mm are older folks who have absorbed their share of recoil from their 30/06's, 7mags, and 300 magnums, and would like to transition into something that is a little easier on the shoulder. I debated on whether or not to go with a 7x57 or a 7mm08, and chose the latter for two reasons; cheaper ammo, and a shorter bolt throw. I realized as I got older that the vast majority of animals taking in my hunting career were less than 100 yards away. For us older guys, I'd imagine that a more compact rifle with less recoil would make that an easy choice to make once hunting season rolls around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I admit I enjoy my little 7 I am not yet 50 and also enjoy my 30-06, 8x60S Mag, 35 Whelen, 416 R.E.M. Mag and am having a 404 Jeffrey built.

All that aside I still think the little 7 gets the job done with class.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Anywhere in the world eh?

quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
In Europe 7x64 and 8x57 are close behind 308 and 30-06 sales. Far from dead for good reason.

Funnily enough my 8x57 is currently being made in Germany, and it wasn't a special order item and I wont be paying a surcharge the way I would have if I ordered a 7x57.

Last time I checked Mauser, Sauer, Blaser, & Merkel had all dropped the 7x57 from available barrel lists for their repeaters, whilst the 7x64 & 8x57 are still standard production items. Even the humble Tikka T3 can be bought in 7x64 & 8x57, but not in 7x57, same deal with the CZ 557.

Now what did I say in my first post? stir

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nostalgia that works - simple.

That is why I love the old Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles and the old pre war Mausers.

Sadly I cannot afford a nice 450/400 double.

I can pretend I am Karamoja Bell or Jim Corbet or JA Hunter etc.
Cool

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11195 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best mid -range calibres out there, period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have added that the 7x57R is much more popular in Europe than the rimless version.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I love the nostalgia as well as the performance of the cartridge. We have the 275 Rigby and a NULA in 7x57. I find the older, classic cartridges much more interesting than the latest "33-80 Super stretch laser-mag".

jagerfrank: We love that 7x57R as well. The wife loves her Merkel K3 in that cartridge and I have a Krieghoff Drilling. We have never had to shoot anything more than once with the 7x57R.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Belated acquiescence in the opinion of the late 19th century Spanish Army ordnance department! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I was pretty shocked in Mozambique when Derek Littleton told Joyce he couldn't remember when a client showed up with a 7 x 57. Neither Leopard had time to complain.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not nostalgia, it's balance. An adequate case capacity and a bore size suitable for bullets capable of killing animals from 100 to 1000 pounds, without overkill, and having sufficient velocity to have virtually no holdover out to 300 yards. What's there not to like?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

May be the 7x57 "craze" has some nostalgia component. And, like it or not, there are few brands offering now as a standard chambering the 7x57.
I am also one who think the 7x57 is, right now, a handloader cartridge. An excelent one!!!
But this in no way invalidates the real value of the 7x57.
I am one of their users since 1972. For many, many years it was my one and only big game rifle in the form of a Original DWM sporting rifle made on a 1893 action. Similar but not the same as the "Plezier" Boer Mausers.
Now I use a M1935 Mauser with a S.I.G. barrel.
For some, 6 or 7 years, I had and use a Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK (1964) 7x64 Brenneke. Very nice and well made rifle!
I use about 90% handloaded (by me) ammo in the 7x57 and in the 7x64 as well.
Loading the 7x57 longer than the factory cartridges, taking advantage of the magazine lenght of the standard M 98 Mauser vs. the 7x64 loaded at the maximum lenght by their magazine, and at similar maximum SAFE pressures, the velocity difference, in my experience with both, is not more than 50/70 f/s in favor of the 7x64.
This is in line with the difference in the cases real volume loaded as I say. And I prefer for a few details, the 7x57 case and cartridge design, by far, over the 7x64.
However, if I were not a handloader, searching for a good non magnum 7 mm, the 7x64 would be my choice, for practical reasons.
But, I use the 7x57 Mauser as one of, if not THE, favorite big game cartridge including big Red Deer around here!

PH

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Rigby making it, Ruger making limited series, etc..

Is it pure nostalgia or what..wet Corbett and Bell dreams.. stir ?

I would love a new Rigby, but make mine a .308Win.. fishing

Kind of like saying people who buy .30-06's are also in it for the nostalgia. 2020

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my Sako in .308W. shoot 1" groups at 100m if I do my part....really all I need..

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:

In Germany that is very true.

In Spain the 7x64 is popular, it is the same in France. I don't know about the 8x57 though. I have never seen one in a French Gunshop (the number of white flags for sale is amazing).

I think the 308, 30-06 and 8x57 are the most popular calibers here in Germany. With 7x64, 9.3x62, 270, 6.5x57, 7x57, 300 Win, 300 Wby, 8x68S, 6.5x55 rounding out the list (not in any order). It requires a second class and quite an expense to be able to reload, so alot of people don't bother with it. Powder is really expensive as well, and the cost of reloading here makes it almost as expensive as buying ammunition out right. A lot of esoteric German calibers that you would think would be popular are not because of the cost of ammunition and reloading. When a guy shoots 20 pigs a a year and 10 reh, that cost adds up.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, my Sako in .308W. shoot 1" groups at 100m if I do my part....really all I need..

Ok - so have fun with your .308? faint

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok??? So have fun with your 308. faint

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in a 30/06 and 30/30 world it may have just taken some of us longer to discover a cartridge with great tradition, mild recoil and a bullet that seems to get things done.
Now I have a number of 7x57 and the 275 Rigby to go along with numerous 30/06. I don't want to stop shooting either of them.
Why the 6.5 Creedmore when we have the proven 260 Rem., 6.5x55 Mauser and the 6.5x54MS? I don't want to give those up either. I still don't have a 6.5 Creedmore just yet but.....Santa may come early too. Wink

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote