Find
Notify
Tools

LET'S TALK ABOUT AN AFRICA BATTERY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Folks most of you know about the problems I had with my Ruger 416 Rigby and that they've been solved. The rifle now feeds with glass-smooth efficiency and the accuracy remains superb. So, the enclosed photo depicts my proposed battery for next year's buffalo/plains game hunt to include zebra, bushbuck, waterbuck, warthog, bushpig and impala. The Ruger is set up with 400gr Swift A Frames and old Hornady 410 solids shooting to the same POI @ 100 yards ( actually the softs shoot about 1.5" higher so the solids hit dead on at 100. The scope is a Leupold 1.5X5X20 (plus an identical spare).

The light rifle is a pre-war Model 70 in 300 H&H with 180 Partitons . That rifle is topped by a Swaro A Series 3X10X42 scope.

I am very prone to taking too much ammo, but given that buffalo is on the menu, how many solids should I take. Right now I'm planning on 20 solids and 40 softs for the 416 and 60 rounds for the H&H. So my question is twofold; are you in agreement with the two rifle caliber combo and the amount of ammo proposed? Not a very controversila post, but I'm bored and I'm playing with my new digital camera. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always heard that 40-rounds was sufficient per-rifle. I would be more likely to over-pack the Rigby as it WILL work for everything, and the 300 is too light for buff.

it also depends on the # of species you plan to take... fill us in!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Although I have selected differently, I like your choice of cartridges. It can handle long-ish shots as well as close encounters of the mbogo kind.

I usually take 60 rounds for my light rifle (50 softs, 10 solids) and 40 rounds for my 'heavy' (30 softs, 10 solids if it's my .375, 20/20 if it's the .470 Capstick).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jorge, for the first time ever, I had my ammo weighed on my way to Tanzania last October. I was taking about the same amount as you (for a 416 Rigby and a 338). I was a few pounds over and had to leave some at the ticket counter. Be prepared for such an event. With one buff on the menu, you shouldn't need more than 15 softs and 10 solids for the 416. This will leave plenty for a few sight-in shots as well. 40 rounds for the 300 should suffice w/ plenty to spare.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
That is almost the exact battery I took to Mozambique in 2000. I had a .450 Rigby and a .300 H&H with 200 gr. Nosler PT's. I can't fault anything about your choices. They will do just fine.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I think the weight limit is 5 kg of ammunition. (That is usually interpreted as ammo plus boxes.) You will be close to that -if not over - with justyour proposed ammo. After 9/11 they might get sticky about ammo. I got by with >5 kg on both Africa trips with nobody the wiser, but why take chances now?

As to your battery - you have a classic combination there that is both nostalgic and practical. I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions, so here's mine!

Since buffalo is on the ticket I'd carry the 416, and a 375 as the "light" rifle. That way if the 416 goes tits up, you still can go after buff with your own rifle.

Thanks for bringing up the topic - it's a classic like your calibers. I never get tired of talking about hunting!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
jorge-
The 300 and 416 is one of, if not my most favored two rifle combo. I've used that setup on three different safaris with 100% satisfaction.
I always carried 40rds for the "heavy" with them split as 30rds soft and 10rds solid. The "light" rifle gets 60rds. With a 416 Rigby as the big bore I believe this amount of ammo will get you by on the weight restrictions.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add... I think the 300H&H is just about the PERFECT plains rifle from an objective standpoint... its a ubiquitous "300" and the butter-smooth feed of the round combined with its proper ballistics is just too good to beat... someday, I should very much like to have one!

as for the Rigby... not my favorite, but easily my pick of the "common" cartridges... I'd prefer the funky smooth 400H&H that I'm dieing to get my hands on or a classicly-styled double in the 450-400 to 405NE range...

but that's just me... great looking pair, and you seem to have it all together... best of luck!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Sounds like one of several "perfect" batteries available! I've carried a .416 Rem Mag and a .30-338 on one safari and it worked well. .416 for the bigger stuff and the .30 mag shooting 165 grain A-Frames for everything else. Good Hunting.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your choice.

I'm thinking of taking 30 rds Barnes X and 10 rds Barnes solid (both 300 gr) for the .375 Winchester Safari Classic scoped with a 1.5X6X42 Kahles, along with 60 rds of Barnes X (150 gr) for the Weatherby in .270 Winchester, scoped with a 3X9X40 Zeiss. We are hunting Buff and plains game.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
KWTX,
That is the exact two gun battery I took to Zimbabwe on my first hunt there in 1994. Worked well though I shot most of my game with the .375. However, I shot several impala, baboons and a 55" kudu with the .270. No problems, all dropped with one shot from Mr. O'Connor's favorite caliber.
Your bullet selection is well thought out. Barnes X are among most PH's "top five picks" in bullets.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice pics, nice rifles, good choices.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Those 2 calibers along with several other combos are perfect. I do think particularly if you really are only going to take the animals you listed that you are over loaded on the ammo. Ask your PH about his recommendation for solids and softs. Some of the PH's now tell you not to bother with solids at all. Most of all as previously suggested weigh your ammo to avoid problems at the airport.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Sir:

Where are you going to fit those two rifles and all of that ammo in that 14 Tomcat for the journey over, not to mention all of those trophies on the way back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The perfect African battery is the 375 H&H and an extra scope....that's why they call her "The African Queeen".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great inputs so far gents. Regarding the weight issue, since my wife will ge coming with me this time, I can split the weight of the ammo between us. I also thought about the 375 H&H/416 combo as a hedge against the 416 breaking. It certainly is tempting.

Blue: I started life in F-4 Phantoms and transitioned to S-3 Vikings. Although I've flown in the Tomcat a few times, It's not my platform. Too bad thogh, it's a great jet! jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I wonder about taking more "softs" for your .416 than solids. More than once, I have been hunting buffalo with the "heavy" rifle of my chosen battery, having loaded one soft, followed by solids in the magazine when an immediate chance came for a plains game animal with no time to switch loads. So... If it took me more than one shot on the animal, I'd be burning up solids on the follow-up shots. For instance, I had a quick opportunity on a trotting along impala last year. (We were walking back to the vehicle after a blown stalk on buff.) I missed the animal on the first shot with the soft and hit it with the fifth solid! Remember, too, a .416 diameter solid is just fine for most plains game. I usually take equal amounts of Barnes X's and solids (GS, Speer tungsten or Barnes).

This year (elephant and buff hunt), I'll have more solids than softs for my .475 Nitro, but a .483 hole is pretty darn big anyway!

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say take as much ammo as you can with you. You never know when something might go wrong. Last year n Namibia I had a scope failure. The first time in over 25 major hunting trips that it has happened. It took 6 rounds to determine that the scope was bad after I had shot 5 shots poorly. Took another 10 rounds to sight in the new scope. Then when I got to Tanzania it took another 8-10 rounds to resight the damn thing in again. 26 rounds and not a shot at game. Not to mention the loss in confidence. I know you will say that the second scope should have been sighted in. It was but for a different rifle. I took a 375 and a 416 and the scope was sighted for the 375 not the 416. This is the first time that such a thing has happened to me but as you know==s--t happens! And always at the worst time.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, I'll be 3 weeks behind you but with my 300 & 378 weatherby. John is now doing lion hunts in Zambia.

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
AKA: He's also applying for a license in Botswana. I've hunted with him before and he is absolutely a great PH and gentleman. We'll have to keep in touch! jorge

<allen day>
posted
Jorge, I would feel extremely comfortable and good about carrying your .300 H&H and your .416 Rigby for your upcoming safari with John Sharp. They are ideal cartridges for anything you'll hunt anywhere in Africa. Now that you have your Ruger working like it should, and since your Model 70 is a proven, reliable, and accurate rifle, there's little else to worry about in the gun department.

I haven't actually heard of any other client teaming a .300 H&H with a .416 Rigby, which is yet another great reason to take that pairing. It seems to be about as natural a combination as a .300 H&H teamed with a .375 H&H, only better, since the .300 will do all that the .375 will do on plainsgame, yet the .416 should whack buffalo a whole lot harder.

I'd leave the .375 H&H at home this time and take these two. I wouldn't worry about backup. If you need backup, John has an excellent .458 Win. Mag. he'd likely let you use, and he can always use that lovely double of his himself. You might ask him about that possibility.

But seriously, I doubt you'll have any trouble with those rifles. Wisely, you took care of problems that needed fixing well beforehand.

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yep, both rifles are about as ready as they'll ever be. I soke with John at SCi and he was keen on my proposed combo. He is a fan of the 300 H&H and I felt this was a "classic" combination to take. If you guys go to my post of a week or so ago here on the Africa Forum kindly posted for me by George S, you can see that both rifles are shooting marvelously. Thanks for the inputs this has been a fun thread so far! jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge ----- I am going this year to Tanzania for two Buffalo, and if I have time five plains game. This is my first trip to Africa and being a rookie to everything, I am going to take either my .416 Rem or Rigby, and only that rifle for this trip. I have a georgeous .358 STA Custom Model 70 Winchester I plan to hunt Africa with someday, but this trip I want to learn the ropes. I would hate to loose that beautiful rifle, because I did not know what I was doing my first trip. Next time hopefully I will know more about what I am doing, but for now I will save the government fee for the second rifle and be well prepared to handle any situation or at least know more about what might might come up. Your battery sounds great. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Pat: how many days are you going for? If I can give you one piece of advice, take a light rifle and shoot a bunch of plains game! After all the money you're plunking down for the buffalo, it would be a shame if you didn't take a bunch of other game. Hell for the price of a buffalo trophy fee you can take a kudu, eland and maybe an impala. Think about it and take that Model 70. Just insure it. jorge

posted Hide Post
jorge-

Not trying to butt in here but in Tanzania you can shoot lots of buffalo for the price of one eland or kudu. Plus, both of those animals require a 21 day hunt to qualify for the tags.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that John. This is what's so great about this forum, you learn all kinds of stuff. My suggestion stems from the notion that If I'm going to africa, I might as well shoot as many species as I an afford, given the limitations of course. jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge ----- I am going on a ten day hunt this time, quick in and out and want to concentrate only on the Buff and go for size. This was a last minute hunt to fill a cancellation. I certainly want to go back for the others someday, if I take them all now, what do I tell the little lady. Next time will be a longer hunt. I do have everything insured, but insurance does not replace that special rifle that has been to Alaska and Colorado many times. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strange choices for Tanzania and dangerous game country IMO, most magazines and books would agree with you, along with those who read them, but I think I will obstain from the norm here, I will take a different approach...

I shoot the 300 H&H, it is one of my all time favorite plainsgame and NA calibers, and it would certainly go with me to RSA on a plainsgame hunt but when I am in country with Lions, elephants, Hippo, and Buffalo I won't be carrying a 300 H&H...I will carry enough gun for any surprise that might crop up and it has happened to me and others in the past, and obviously will to some in the future.

My light rifle for plainsgame in dangerous game country will always be at least sufficient to take on any of the big 5...I normally take a 375 and 416 or 375 and a 404...or one of those and a double rifle...

A .338 or 9.3x62 would be the least rifle I would carry in the bush in dangerous game country under those circumstances. So my choice is one medium bore and one big bore rifle in dangerous game country.

Actually the 416 or 404 will cover all plainsgame and dangerous game very nicely....It is a great Impala rifle and will work just fine on an elephant IMO, and except for the fact I like to hunt with double rifles, I would not carry a second rifle....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good combination! I've used it in the past when I didn't take a double rifle. I cannot say enough about those old slick feeding .300 H& H pre-war Mod 70's.

I solve Ray's dilemma easily. I always carry the "heavy" whether it be a .40 or on up to a .600. The tracker carries the light.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Pat: I understand now. Your angle makes sense now. Now as to Ray, I'll be hunting buffalo in Matetsi with the aforementioned 416 with 400gr Swift A Frames and solids. With it I can drill anything up to 250 yards without much effort. Last summer at our place in PA I was hitting liter sized bottles at 320 yards with it, sighted in at 2" high @ 100 with the A frames.

Once we get the buff, we'll be flying down to Malangani COnservancy for the balance of the plains game. So while in Matetsi, I'll have the Rigby with me at all times and in Malangani the 300 so there is no problem with anything "cropping up" to catch me undergunned. Hell if that was the case, nobody would carry a light rifle for fear of being stomped. Besides, that's what John Sharp is there, for the "just in case." jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, newbe Bob, 1st time Africa, I too will be hunting with John Sharp. Booked for a June 16th Buff, Leopard and plains game. I also met with John in Reno, he agreed my choice of a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H using 300 grain Trophy Bonded for Buff and a Weatherby 300 Mag. with 180 grain Trophy Bonded for plains game would be sufficent.

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bob: you're gonna really like hunting with John. In my view he's the quintessential dare I say "great White Hunter." his knowledge of animals, flora and african history is remarkable as are his demeanor and character. You made a good choice in weapons AND PH and I'm totally comfortable with my choice of rifles also. jorge

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I would get some custom leather made for the GPS and Mini Mag. Even better, trade the mini-mag for a SureFire.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobga.. It's nice to see another weatherby person. I'm also booked with john sharp for leopard and buff but in July.

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KWTX - I'm looking in to a new 375H&H. How old is your Winchester Safari Classic and how do you like it?

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love your choices, however I would have opted for the .416 with 410 gr woodleigh's & 9.3x62 with 250 gr woodleigh's, that way the 9.3 would work on bigger stuff in a pinch should the .416 be put out of submission. The other battery I like is the n.375 H&H & the .458 lott combo. I am just summising what I amy one day take on my first African trip.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKA, just received my Weatherby back from gunsmith, installed a Leupold 4.5x50 Illuminated reticle. Awesome results, using Federal 180, Trophy Bonded. At 100 yards 2 inch groups,plan on using this for all my plains game. 10 weeks and counting.

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
PC: There is really no big difference between the 410 Woodleighs an the Swifts. I'll go out on a limb and say the Swift will probably hold together better. BUt the real advantage to the Swift is it's higher ballistic coefficient. Moreover, your 9.3 and 416 are really kind of close as far as trajectories so why bother. I like your second suggestion of the 375/416 better. jorge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

point taken...I was not suggesting you change bullets sort of rambling about what battery I would take. I do like the suggestion of a .338 calibre rifle, and I reckon that a .338 lapua would make a great long range plains game gun as would a .338 ultra mag. One would need to use tough bullets with those faster chamberings I would think.....barnes x etc. Glad to hear your .416 is going well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
PC: Now your'e talking when you mention the 338. That's arguably "THE" caliber for plains game. I like Swifts or Nosler Partitons although lately I've been experimenting with 225gr X Triple Shocks with mixed results. I really like the 300 though. Firstly becasue none of the plains game animals I'm shooting this time are very big and even if say a zebra were on the menu, a 300 is plenty, although a 338 would be better. BTW, I think the 9.3X62 is one heck of a cartridge for genral purpose use. I have a 35 Wheelen which is similar. jorge