New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am truly amazed that men of such vast safari experience who face fearsome thick skinned wild animals can utterly fall apart and be so thin skinned when they read mere words on a page.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ard:
Hi Saeed,

Nobody of my aquaintence is claiming to be God here. I have never demanded that anyone's ideas, even though based on their substantial life's experiences, are the gospel. I simply posted a notion as it was told to me and you replied with swear words and insults.

I haven't I boiled over and spewed insults, at you, (like you have repeatedly done to me here for some reason).

Man! If you take what Saeed said as an insult, your skin is thinner than a politician's morals. Around here, the kind of response you received from Saeed was more in line with a cuddle. Stick around for a while, and I am sure you will be able to enjoy an honest to goodness thrashing that will cross the insult barrier.

Now, an insult would be something like this:

quote:
As for the men's room at Jo-Burg, I do not know where it is....honest.

But I am certain you do know where the ladies room is located at Joberg.

See? That would be a rather mild insult.

Or this one:

quote:
My personal experience with Sierras has also indicated they are soft however..

They are supposed to go into your rifle and not inserted where your head seems to be stuck.

Less subtle, with an edge, but an insult.

If you need more examples, I am certain we can assist you in your quest for discernment.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
Hi Saeed,

Nobody of my aquaintence is claiming to be God here. I have never demanded that anyone's ideas, even though based on their substantial life's experiences, are the gospel. I simply posted a notion as it was told to me and you replied with swear words and insults.

I haven't I boiled over and spewed insults, at you, (like you have repeatedly done to me here for some reason).

Man! If you take what Saeed said as an insult, your skin is thinner than a politician's morals. Around here, the kind of response you received from Saeed was more in line with a cuddle. Stick around for a while, and I am sure you will be able to enjoy an honest to goodness thrashing that will cross the insult barrier.

quote:

Or this one:

quote:

They are supposed to go into your rifle and not inserted where your head seems to be stuck.

If you need more examples, I am certain we can assist you in your quest for discernment.

animal

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a good place to ask:

Would the TSX be a good bullet to use in a .45/70 on buffalo and elephant?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Only if chambered in an S2 Safari...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Only if chambered in an S2 Safari...

I assumed that went without saying...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Adrook,

That photo you posted is not a group, that's one bullet hole! Cool

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 300 grain silvertips handloaded in my 375 H&H. They have accounted for Elk (2 shots second not necessary), deer all 1 shot, ground squirrels beyond count some more than one time (necessary), a gemsbok (1 shot), a blue wildebeest (2 but only first was necessary), a nyala (1 shot), african porcupine (1), chacma baboon(1+ 2 for fun), Cape Eland (2), bushpig (1), african wildcat (1), limpopo bushbuck (1), Brown Bear (2 only 1 necessary, Muskox (1 per ox), Polar Bear (2 only 1 necessary), multiple ringed seals 1 each, Western hartebeest (1), Nigerian bohor Reedbuck (1), Lord Derby's Eland (1), Harnessed Bushbuck (1), Western Roan (1), and 2 Big Dog, olive baboons that were asking for it (1 each). No animal has been hit and lost knock on wood, although I missed 2 clean (not counting ground squirrels): 1 limpopo bushbuck and 1 Lord Derby's Eland.

So the question is was this a long string of flukes?

I am a Heretic I guess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use 300 grain silvertips handloaded in my 375 H&H.

Haven't these been discontinued for many years? At least not listed at MidwayUSA, Natchez or Graf's. Only the newer plastic tipped CT variety which are not at all like the original Winchester silvertip.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Mr S. assures me that in his professional opinion these X-type bullets are not yet ready for prime time. In other words he feels they are still in the eXperimental stage.

Well, you can tell Mr. S that he is talking a load of bloody bullshit!

The Barnes X bullets, and other expanding bullets made of copper without any lead, as superior to ANY bullet that has lead in it.

+1

Abie DuPlooy has probably about as much experience as anyone as a PH and told me personally that the Barnes TSX is the best bullet he has ever used in his 35+ years of being a licensed PH, he likes them so much that he doesn't even bother with solids any longer.

Hello adrook,

Your point is clear and concise. I salute you for it. I only wish I could cut my wordiness down a bit. However, sometimes for me, it is more like: "Help, I'm typing and I can't stop".
Anywhooo, do you have any idea if your aforementioned favorite PH has experience with the plastic tipped TSX type Barnes bullets? It seems to me they would be a step in the right direction, especially for countering the reported magazine battering during recoil.
(Incidentally, the old fashioned RN bullets generally cancel this problem nicely in my feeble beginner's experience).
I have a retired California Game Warden friend that might one day ask me to hunt deer in the Coast Range again like we did back in the stone age. I will need to get a jump on these non lead bullets before that happens. I'd hate to go ripping around at the last minute trying to find one that worked well for me.
My only personal experience with copper alloy rifle bullets was when I tried 180 grain TSX in my .300 H&H at the rifle range. They were all over the place. So were those dreaded Winchester "Fail Safe" bullets in Winchester factory ammunition by the way.
Thanks.
Ard.

Hi Ard,

I deleted my "Don't Feed the Trolls" smiley. Sorry for that, and welcome to the forums. I mistook wordiness for trollish behavior, my mistake.

Not sure about Abie using plastic tipped bullets, I'll ask him the next time that I talk to him. I know what you mean by "all over the place" with some monometal bullets. I tried and tried to get the old Barnes X bullets to shoot with no success, more like patterns than groups. Then came the TSXs. Speaking of the .300 H&H, I fired this 3-shot group with my .300 H&H and the 168gr TSX a couple of years ago.

Cheers,
Andy

Hello again adrook,

No worries about the troll thing. I know that shoe fits me well most of the time (pretty much whenever I'm not sleeping). Furthermore, I enjoy fun poking when someone is quick enough to throw it right back at me like you are.

When I hold a mirror in front of people, some folks laugh at what they see, some cry, most just freeze like a deer in the headlights. The really effed upped ones get angry.

Mister that is as tight a group as I have ever seen from any hunting weight rifle and is in the heavy barreled varmint/target realm. What sort of rifle is your .300? What is your scope arrangement on this rifle? Have you taken any game with this load yet? If so, inquiring minds want to know about it.
I will be happy to read about it in some other window if you feel it is not Africa related.

In spite of those who demand that I drop to my knees and worship monometal bullets...after seeing your results, my curiosity is creeping back in.

Out.
Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
Hi Saeed,

quote:

Or this one:

quote:

Hi Jim,
Now that's funny but porque' do I get the title of thin skinned when the other guy calls people names when they disagree with him? I was a thousand miles away from that level of emotion. My feelings are not injured. I just asked him to let me have some air and I expressed concern that we were annoying other people with our pointless exchange. I don't enjoy annoying people unless they deserve it.
Regarding the Ladie's room, when I was in high school, I had this Italian girlfriend who was, shall we say, "an early bloomer" and we...........Ooops, this belongs in the Playboy forum, not this forum. Sorry, my mistake. I had a senior moment and got my forums mixed up.
Regarding keeping ammunition in one's exhaust pipe, wouldn't that be a bit dodgey if you needed to recharge your magazine in a hurry? I'm trying to visualize the mechanics of it all.
I appreciate your brand of humor. You're good at it.
Cheers.
Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScottW:
I am truly amazed that men of such vast safari experience who face fearsome thick skinned wild animals can utterly fall apart and be so thin skinned when they read mere words on a page.

Scott,
Me too.
Ard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Ard-

I am not interested in playing your silly games. pissers And I have no interest in your 27 years in Alaska. killpc This is the African Big Game Hunting forum, where adults discuss things African. sofa

LionHunter,

I was planning to use the Alaska window of the forum for my Alaska experiences.
I truly apologize for offending you. From your men's room comment I thought you were someone I could throw sarcastic humor back and forth with. My mistake. My apology is sincere.
I will not bother you again. I will not type any comments to any of your future submissions, even if you poke a stick in my cage.

Keep well. I mean that.
Ard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Africa1:
Count me in for the A-Square. I have shot bull elephant and buffalo and other meduim to large game and been very pleased. I use it in my .338, .458 double, and .458 Lott magazine rifle. For plains game, I have found that any good soft bullet works just fine. I used TSX in .338 on one safari and punched a bunch of holes in animals--kind of like shooting armour piercing ammo. For elend the TSX were wonderful--perfect mushroom. Anything smaller and the ammo did not expand. Many do not like the A-Square, however, it is pretty much all that I use now. I have stashed a lifetime supply of soft and solid bullets. Many who do not use it also have never used it--go figure. Many urban myths surround this ammo. Good hunting.

Hello Africa1,

Who do you think you are waltzing in here and talking a load of bloody BS like that.
"The World is round". Yeah...right. Suuure it is Mister.
Those of us who have any sense at all know the world is flat.
So watch your tounge around here or we'll call you a wannabe safari hunter.

The other wannabe safari hunter,
Ard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bill,

After these 3 pages of discussion did you get enough info to help you make a decision?

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Thibeault:
For those who have "been there, done that," what are the favorite brand(s) of bullets for use in Africa? I am planning for a safari, and will take my own .375 H&H Magnum rifle. I've used Barnes TSX bullets with great results in .30-06 and .300 Win Mag calibers on deer-sized game, and know they make 300 grain bullets in both soft (TSX) and monolithic solids for the .375.

I've also heard good things about A-Square bullets, and like the fact their soft-nosed (Dead Tough) and solid bullets have the same shape/BC, so they should shoot to the same point of impact.

Any experience with either of these, or perhaps better bullets to use? I reload, and plan to take all of my own ammunition with me. To keep it simple, I plan to use this one rifle for everything, varying between soft nosed and solid bullets as the species of game and hunting situations dictate.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Thibeault

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Barnes TTSX (tipped) bullets are currently only available in 6mm-.338 sizes. Hopefully Barnes will make them in a wider range of calibers in the future. Below are two groups I shot using the 168 TTSX bullets in my Ruger M77 Hawkeye .300WM and my Syeyr-Mannlicher Model M .30-06. Both show pretty darn good accuracy.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltshooter:
Hello Bill,

After these 3 pages of discussion did you get enough info to help you make a decision?

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Thibeault:
For those who have "been there, done that," what are the favorite brand(s) of bullets for use in Africa? I am planning for a safari, and will take my own .375 H&H Magnum rifle. I've used Barnes TSX bullets with great results in .30-06 and .300 Win Mag calibers on deer-sized game, and know they make 300 grain bullets in both soft (TSX) and monolithic solids for the .375.

I've also heard good things about A-Square bullets, and like the fact their soft-nosed (Dead Tough) and solid bullets have the same shape/BC, so they should shoot to the same point of impact.

Any experience with either of these, or perhaps better bullets to use? I reload, and plan to take all of my own ammunition with me. To keep it simple, I plan to use this one rifle for everything, varying between soft nosed and solid bullets as the species of game and hunting situations dictate.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Thibeault

Apparently, that's not the point of starting a thread.

Start a thread asking about the best bullet for a .375 H&H in Africa, and all the experts on how many guinea pigs, woodchucks, and ground squirrels they shot with a really money-saving projectile crawl out of the woodwork.

And there's nothing anybody can do about it.

Are we supposed to believe that it's some sort of Ripley's-believe-it-or-not category of beyond-belief fact that a 300 grain silvertip can kill a springhare? Apparently so.

Are we supposed to believe that certain someone who shot 15 coyotes and then went to Africa and shot a baboon when he tells us that bullet ought to work on elephant? Apparently so.

I don't agree.

But, hey, don't listen to me. Apparently I haven't visited the men's room at the Jo'berg airport enough times to have an opinion about whether or not the number of ringed seals or muskrats someone's shot with a cast bullet has f@$ all to do with the best bullet to use as a lion load while lopping that last critical, make-or-break $10 off the cost of your hunt.

PuhLeaze continue to feel free to read between the lines. When someone starts a thread asking for opinions from those who've "been there, done that" about .375H&H solids and softs in Africa, he really deep-down is begging for an opinion on the best type of rock to use with his slingshot on dassies. Only bean-counting archery hunters who've never left the arctic need apply.

I just visit AR as a form of therapy. To remind myself why I've never remarried, in case I'm on the verge of forgetting.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading the excellent posting on how to post pictures, I'll give it another try.

http://i154.photobucket.com/al...2_2.jpg?t=1232913176

http://i154.photobucket.com/al...3_2.jpg?t=1232913279

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello again adrook,

No worries about the troll thing. I know that shoe fits me well most of the time (pretty much whenever I'm not sleeping). Furthermore, I enjoy fun poking when someone is quick enough to throw it right back at me like you are.

When I hold a mirror in front of people, some folks laugh at what they see, some cry, most just freeze like a deer in the headlights. The really effed upped ones get angry.

Mister that is as tight a group as I have ever seen from any hunting weight rifle and is in the heavy barreled varmint/target realm. What sort of rifle is your .300? What is your scope arrangement on this rifle? Have you taken any game with this load yet? If so, inquiring minds want to know about it.
I will be happy to read about it in some other window if you feel it is not Africa related.

In spite of those who demand that I drop to my knees and worship monometal bullets...after seeing your results, my curiosity is creeping back in.

Out.
Ard.

The rifle is a wood-stocked pushfeed Win M70 made in the late 80s with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 scope in Redfield turn-in mounts.

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some hilarious stuff here!
Thanks to the comedians, you know who you are!
rotflmo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Some hilarious stuff here!
Thanks to the comedians, you know who you are!
rotflmo

A few more of these comedians, and we will start charging for admissionn clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TSX bullets are good but unless you're going after big dangerous stuff I wouldn't waste my money on them.

Grumulkin was wise all along. He'll have the admittance price from the $$$ he saved by NOT using the Barnes bullets. Smart cookie.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hello again adrook,

Out.
Ard.

The rifle is a wood-stocked pushfeed Win M70 made in the late 80s with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 scope in Redfield turn-in mounts.

Cheers,
Andy

Adrook,

10-4.

Ard.

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I was dissapointed in the Dead Tough in my 450 Dakota.

I would much rather use the North Fork, Swift, or TSX in your .375.

As our host Saeed has proven over 100 times, the Barnes does not mind a bit of extra velocity or rotational velocity in 375, so dont be shy about loading it up to its potential.

The TSX "leaded" my barrel much less than the original Barnes X.

If you search my posts you will see many pictures of the bullets mentioned including the A-Square Dead Tough.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
This is more evidence that Barnes bullets don't expand. This was the exit wound on a Steenbok that took a Barnes XLC X-bullet through the lungs. The hunter, seeing the words "solid copper" on the box of Barnes bullets he was reloading understandably assumed they were solids. Also, in the enthusiams and heat of battle he neglected or rather forgot the advice of the PH to shoot it just behind the chest.

Fortunately, he used a very good taxidermist.

This is a Steenbok that I, taking my own advice not to assign magical powers to premium bullets, took with a relatively cheap crappy Hornady bullet right behind the chest.

Notice the difference?

I have nothing against premium bullets. For those challenged with the subtleties of all this, another example would be the killing of a fly. I could use a fly swatter or I could use a premium bullet from a 460 Weatherby Magnum. In both cases the fly would probably die.

I have another confession to make. Right now on my reloading bench I have a stockpile of probably $600 to $800 worth of Barnes bullets. Subscribing to the philosophy that it's more important to put a bullets where it belongs that what the bullet is made out of, I use them where they give a significant accuracy advantage. I would also use them where I was using a marginal cartridge for a big game animal.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of interest and nothing else, 1 of my neighbors lived in Africa for 14+ years and he shot 9 cape buffalo with a 30-06 and 150gr silver tips and he sais shooting them behind the shoulder he usually found the bullet under the hide on the other side and they ran about 100 yards and died.