THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who all have taken a cape buffalo with a lever rifle?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who all have taken a cape buffalo with a lever rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious...

- What rifle & caliber, and where/ when?

- I recently shot one in the SAVE with a retrofitted BLR in .375 Ruger, anyone else done the same?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Let the games begin!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 - one in Zim and one in Zam both with .375 H&H and TBBC bullets

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In a lever rifle?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
When: Seven or eight years ago, I think.
Where: In the Selous.

What and with what:
One buffalo with a .405 Winchester in new 1895 model lever gun, .411 diameter, 350 grain North Fork cup point and solid (the solid wasn't really necessary since the buffalo was already on the ground). Velocity was 2115 f.p.s (if I remember correctly), 15 feet from muzzle. Both were shoot throughs. The bullets were special order and seated out further than factory ammo to give more room for powder. The throat was also extended to accommodate the longer rounds.

The rifle also shoots Woodleigh .411 diameter, 400 grain bullets a bit faster than 2000 f.p.s. so, in my simple mind, if a .450/400 is a buffalo round, at least this lever gun is too???

Feeding is perfect so long as you don't put the last round in the magazine as it tends to catch where the magazine narrows at the bottom, but you still get three down and one in the spout.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey when y'all finish with this one, do the shotgun and leopard one, then do the .338 and buff one, followed by the 7mm ele one.

At least Mark Sullivan can have a short rest.

popcorn

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I think a 475 Turnbull would be just the ticket.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Joester,
I am hurt that you missed my 2012 hunt report, but you can add 1 to your .405 WCF Coolcount.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

In a lever rifle?

OOPS, did not read it all.
Why would anyone want to "pull on Superman's cape" with a lever gun when something with a little more pop would do the job? I would try a Turnbull .475 but that would be a stretch for me.

No, I would not attempt it with a lever action rifle unless I had one of Jeff Turnbull's guns. The .405 barely adequate for me, so I would need something that matches a .375 H&H at least.

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
50 B&M Alaskan........... July 2013.......365 #13 Lever Raptor 2175 fps, 405 #13 Solids 2120 fps.

Friend of mine Sam Perone 45/70 400 #13 Solid 1875 fps...

2002 45/70.. 420 Cast Performance......

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

In a lever rifle?

OOPS, did not read it all.
Why would anyone want to "pull on Superman's cape" with a lever gun when something with a little more pop would do the job? I would try a Turnbull .475 but that would be a stretch for me.

No, I would not attempt it with a lever action rifle unless I had one of Jeff Turnbull's guns. The .405 barely adequate for me, so I would need something that matches a .375 H&H at least.

416 ruger and 375 ruger are both currently available in the browning lever gun. I'm working on putting together a 416 right now. Is 400gr at 2400fps adequate?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is 400gr at 2400fps adequate?

If it is for the 416 Remington and Rigby, it should be fine for a lever gun :-)

I didn't know the BLR came in 416 Ruger. I'll have to check that out!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^Wild West guns will give you one if you give them some money.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed a couple with 45-70s in bolt and levers using 350 gr self cast lead rn 1900fps with plenty of penetration. They aren't tanks they are flesh and bone. Some call doing it "stunt hunts" I simply do not care what they feel about it an should the urge hit me again to do so I will.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Somehow, whenever I have hunted with a lever action rifle, I have managed to be on the wrong continent for Cape buffalo. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M.R. - Same is true for me hunting with a double rifle...