Find
Notify
Tools

Death in the long grass.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
A few days ago the Landy had enough of my abuse and during building camp died in the long grass of the Kafue. He did not go quietly and fought to go on but I kindly switched him off before he finally expired. It was quite sad really as he was a good and relatively trusty companion but I cannot afford to attend to his needs any more and he will be broken down.

The following day whilst recovering my late friend I found a big Lion print in his track.

So not all bad.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Jammer!

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

The death of an old friend is always sad!
........................................................................R.I.P diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
R. I. P. The lions have blessed you.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot of memories there.
Lived a lot, died a good death.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alas, another soldier born in Solihull dies. At least he died a somewhat peaceful death, better than being driven off a cliff, or head on into a tractor-trailer truck. At least you are safe Andrew. Love the lion track - a good omen!

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
And I had just fitted him with a new fuel tank.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Sympathies. It won't be fun walking through that tall grass with them pussy cats strolling around.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cruiser would have made it through with all wheels still going Big Grin

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Our deepest condolences. We look forward to seeing the shrine.

J&J

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give him a decent burial, he has earned it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military honors, 21 gun salute.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Ambulance taking away the body.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed.

Shanks mare now, Andrew?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

No heart transplant available ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you washed this beast, it may weight about 500 kilos less and work for you.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Please don't tell me I have to hunt out of something with a windshield and roof? Get the old dog hunting again.

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If only your old friend could write a book!

Thanks for the photos.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Old Land Rovers never die..... they just sometimes need serious surgery and/or a transplant.

Don't give up! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From an external diagnosis of the patient and the surrounding I would expect the likely cause of death to be attributed to an acute respiratory problem causing overheating, which led to warping of the cylinder head and a subsequent loss of lubricant, resulting in an eventual seizure.

A decent set of tyres, with an additional injection of approx. $3000 will set your old friend back on his feet and provide you with many more years of faithful service.

Next time you venture out under those conditions make sure the bloody winch is in place!

Now stop being a bloody miser and resuscitate the poor bugger! ..... unless you're set to investing in a Cruiser Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
From an external diagnosis of the patient and the surrounding I would expect the likely cause of death to be attributed to an acute respiratory problem causing overheating, which led to warping of the cylinder head and a subsequent loss of lubricant, resulting in an eventual seizure.

A decent set of tyres, with an additional injection of approx. $3000 will set your old friend back on his feet and provide you with many more years of faithful service.

Next time you venture out under those conditions make sure the bloody winch is in place!

Now stop being a bloody miser and resuscitate the poor bugger! ..... unless you're set to investing in a Cruiser Big Grin

I'll second that and I'd also add a set of wide wheels so the tyres and engine don't have to work as hard........ then it'll be good for another few years......... and just think how uncomfortable and lacking in character a Toyota would be! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fujo and Shakari, note the make of the ambulance Wink

need i say more...

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

need i say more...

Shush Man....I'd noticed it was a hard top but better it be referred to as an ambulance which more often carries the sick and wounded - thankfully the Land Rover huggers did not notice else would have called it a hearse! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Andrew, all that is needed is to get the dead Rover to a high lift, and drive a Toyota Cruiser under it! Problem solved for the next 20 years!

Just kidding you!

The fact is the picture below of the revovery vehicle has "Toyota" badges on it but it is not a Toyota! That vehicle was a trade with Isuzu because they didn't have a true off road suv. That is an early Isuzu TrooperII with the back doors reversed and right hand drive. I owned on of those little troopers and that sucker would clim a tree!

Simply cut the top off thet vehicle and place a high seat on and go hunting!

........................................................................................ jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

need i say more...

I didn't even notice the ambulance let alone the make of it but of course, who ever notices a vehicle that's devoid of all character or personality?

animal rotflmo animal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know your stuff mate. The recent engine recondition was four grand and at a 300,000 miles. The head is now bent and water is pissing through the block.

What really pissed me off was my new driver destroyed it in only 10 bloody miles and had the audacity to report me to the Human Rights Commission for shouting at him?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Too sad. It looks like it was just getting broken-in.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 miles Eeker

Had one of my fellow employees (!) show me his driving skills in the bush last year.

Apparently you drive with your foot on the throttle and brake at the same time "just in case" Wink

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fujotupo,

The bumper and winch was removed and carried into camp in order erect poles.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Send it to India. We still have +40 yr old Rovers running around in Assam, the North East part of India fyi, which the owners will not SELL!! Sort of like the Jeepnees in the Phillipines

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fujotupo,

The bumper and winch was removed and carried into camp in order erect poles.

[/QUOTE]

We use manpower to erect poles and save the winch for other occasions like hauling Land Rovers and other similar jalopies out of the muck jumping

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I didn't even notice the ambulance let alone the make of it but of course, who ever notices a vehicle that's devoid of all character or personality?

A fact to consider, no corpse has character or personality. stir Whistling Roll Eyes

Quote; What really pissed me off was my new driver destroyed it in only 10 bloody miles and had the audacity to report me to the Human Rights Commission for shouting at him?

And you only shouted at him? A bit rough on the poor bugger there Fairgame! Africa, allways a challenge. Mad

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote