Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Bearing in mind what yesterday was, it's probably best not to mention tea to the colonials old chap!

animal animal animal animal

Forever a smart-ass! Smiler

Yeah, sorry about that mate but the chance to pull the legs of all my American friends was just too good to miss! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made an ass out myself, and I apologize for the mislead comments I made here. It has became very, very obvious that I know nothing of true adventures in Africa. But through your intelligent comments I have learned a few things, and for that I am thankful. I will cower out now, realizing I have got in over my head. Good luck and good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hokkaido
Differences of opinion is what makes us who we are and debate on an issue makes everyone better informed. Had I not made the mistake of visiting the Asian forum and noting the language you used in your posts, I might have presumed your initial post here to be genuinely motivated out of interest in hunting. Unfortunately your choice of language ("cockhead")leaves it abundantly clear that the axe that you grind has been brought to the Afican forum for further sharpening.A public forum is not the place for a personal tiff. Although your last post appears to drip with sarcasm, it would make AR a better place if you only contributed when you had something constructive to say.
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCHB, No sarcasm intended, and in this section, you are right, and it has been made clear, I have little constructiveness to offer at this point.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
I wonder if Lane can (pardon the pun ) shed any light on it?

I'll get back with you on this.

Steve,

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that cones are more sensitive to red light and the cone system is less active in dim lighting conditions, so that particular wavelength of light is less stimulatory to the active rod component of the retina at night.

I'll keep investigating and see if I can get you a firmer answer than that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
[QUOTE]Please hit him with the banned stick.QUOTE]

... in lieu of a knobkerrie.

dancing Big Grin dancing

I love it!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lane. I'll be very interested to hear the scientific explanation.

Certainly I've had red lights on a very good number of big cats over the years and the only reaction I've ever seen them show is occasionally for them to look round and growl just once when the red light first hits them and then they ignore it completely.

LED lights they completely ignore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Animals,, all of them,, have the ability to see all color's of the visible spectrum, red ,,green, blue,, all of it. We as hunters have been sold a bill of goods when they sell us red lights saying varmits and such do not see the light. They see it better than we do! They may not associate it with danger because it isn't something they are exposed to in nature unless we expose them to it,, they learn it very quickly by the way. If you have any doubts, Scientifically there are years of research on it,, many done by Dr. Earl Smith O.D. PhD. , Dean of University of Houston ,, College of Optometry. I hunt with him a great deal and when we break out the red lights he just giggles and shakes his head. Now,, hunting with 3rd and 4th generation night vision equipment and thermal imaging gear,, which we do for feral pigs here in Texas is a whole different game.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
Animals,, all of them,, have the ability to see all color's of the visible spectrum, red ,,green, blue,, all of it. We as hunters have been sold a bill of goods when they sell us red lights saying varmits and such do not see the light. They see it better than we do! They may not associate it with danger because it isn't something they are exposed to in nature unless we expose them to it,, they learn it very quickly by the way. If you have any doubts, Scientifically there are years of research on it,, many done by Dr. Earl Smith O.D. PhD. , Dean of University of Houston ,, College of Optometry. I hunt with him a great deal and when we break out the red lights he just giggles and shakes his head. Now,, hunting with 3rd and 4th generation night vision equipment and thermal imaging gear,, which we do for feral pigs here in Texas is a whole different game.

While some of what you say is true...that is not the whole story.

The "rods & cones" are the specialized sensory neurons that make up the retina. As I stated above...in dim light or darkness...the "rods" are more active than the "cones" and receive most of the light to be processed by the brain.

While I am sure large cats as well as most animals see red...the red light is sensed more by the cones than by the rods.

Therefore...sense the rods do most of the work at night...it makes sense that red light would be less obtrusive to them.

With that said...the cones are not totally non-responsive at night so some of the red light is perceived. I am sure with education from hunting that they would become just as sensitive to red.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So in layman's terms, would it be more correct to say that they see it and normally react to it less?

Unless of course they've been previously red lamped and probably shot at and escaped?

Certainly, I've never had one react other than as mentioned previously.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
So in layman's terms, would it be more correct to say that they see it and normally react to it less?

Unless of course they've been previously red lamped and probably shot at and escaped?

Certainly, I've never had one react other than as mentioned previously.

Think of the back of the eye (the retina) as a dart board...one in which when a dart sticks...a switch trips sending a signal to the brain.

With this dart board...in the day...all colors of darts stick in it equally...but...at night...red darts seem to bounce off never tripping the switch...except for the occasional one which does stick...tripping it switch which sends its signal.

But...even with reduced perception...when the animal is conditioned...they learn...

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Thanks for the easily understandable explanation..... Thanks to you I've learned not one but two things today.

Firstly how it works and secondly why it's so important to introduce the beam onto them slowly.

Guess I've been very lucky up till now. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, I must of missed that lecture on rods and cones in college, probably out hunting or fishing, but my instructor, and fellow hunter was in the lab doing the research,, look up www.opt.uh.edu/faculty/esmith if you think I am blowing smoke. I will bet everyone some zim dollars that animals see the red light better than we do. It is really simple,, if we can see it,, they see it just as well if not better,, Do I use it hunting,, sure I do,,,like I said before, it has a great deal more to do with it being dim illumination,, not 1 million candles or lumens like our spot lights and it is something they do not immediately associate with danger because it is not something they encounter in the wild. You bet I will use that to my advantage,, The first few times you use it on a group of feral pigs it works pretty good,,, but they educated very quickly and run like hell around here with any presence of light, red, blue, etc.. I take an aspirin without thinking about the exact bio-physio-medical reason on why it works,, it works. We some times over think things.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
Gee, I must of missed that lecture on rods and cones in college, probably out hunting or fishing, but my instructor, and fellow hunter was in the lab doing the research,, look up www.opt.uh.edu/faculty/esmith if you think I am blowing smoke. I will bet everyone some zim dollars that animals see the red light better than we do. It is really simple,, if we can see it,, they see it just as well if not better,, Do I use it hunting,, sure I do,,,like I said before, it has a great deal more to do with it being dim illumination,, not 1 million candles or lumens like our spot lights and it is something they do not immediately associate with danger because it is not something they encounter in the wild. You bet I will use that to my advantage,, The first few times you use it on a group of feral pigs it works pretty good,,, but they educated very quickly and run like hell around here with any presence of light, red, blue, etc.. I take an aspirin without thinking about the exact bio-physio-medical reason on why it works,, it works. We some times over think things.

coffee

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This thread has brought back one great aspect of hunting....the fear, thrill and excitement of hunting in the dark.

Some of you may know that I was born in India and hence carry the stories and tradition with nostalgia. I hunted there from the early 70's as a teenager until the late 80's. I hunted wild boar & deer - both at night and during the day. Some of it was stalking, some was in beats & some by spot lights. Most of it was on private land but some was also in public land.

I can remember sitting up for wild boar in elephant country and not hearing a thing the whole night. Next morning we walked around the water hole / stream and saw fresh elephant tracks! We saw leopard pug marks further along the track! Yet we heard nothing because we were hidden at the base of a huge bamboo clump in a hole dug into the mud bank.

The excitement & fear of seeing a deadly poisonous snake (banded krait) on the track is spine tingling even now after 30+ years. But all this does not compare with hunting the big cats ....my dad's stores still give me goose bumps.

He shot tigers & leopards in the 50s. His experience of a tiger being hit with a 12 bore lethal ball in the lungs and roaring repeatedly... that the trees and the machan shook! He is now 85 and still says that was the most terrifying experience of his life - a wounded tiger roaring at 30 yards.

On another occasion, he was asked to shoot a cattle killing leopard. The leopard had taken a young bullock in relatively open country and there were no trees or suitable bushes to hide in. This was at the edge of a village / fallow land where the leopard came regularly to take dogs, goats & cattle. So dad got a "kraal" basket - a big bamboo dome shaped basket of about 4 feet height & diameter. These baskets are used to hold young goats at night. He cut a slot in the bamboo and sat inside the basket. Later at night dad could hear the leopard walking outside the basket and huffing / sniffing. As he tried to get a shot he realised that the leopard was only about a meter away & he could not position properly his 10.75X68 rifle in the cramped environment. When he tried to move a bit the leopard heard him and with a loud growl it disappeared!

I have heard these stories for about 50 years and I still get a buzz out of it....my stomach churns, my heart races and my eyes water. Yes it was my dad and it was my India...and it was hunting the big cats at night.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11220 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
India must have had some fantastic hunting then and the guy who got me involved in African hunting as an Anglo Indian by the name of Vivian Good...... I have very fond memories of all those times we used to sit around the campfire and he'd talk about his hunting when he lived in India.

I think he was quoting from a book but he often used to say that the roar of an African lion was like a canary with the croup when compared to the that of a tiger.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
This thread has brought back one great aspect of hunting....the fear, thrill and excitement of hunting in the dark.

Some of you may know that I was born in India and hence carry the stories and tradition with nostalgia. I hunted there from the early 70's as a teenager until the late 80's. I hunted wild boar & deer - both at night and during the day. Some of it was stalking, some was in beats & some by spot lights. Most of it was on private land but some was also in public land.

I can remember sitting up for wild boar in elephant country and not hearing a thing the whole night. Next morning we walked around the water hole / stream and saw fresh elephant tracks! We saw leopard pug marks further along the track! Yet we heard nothing because we were hidden at the base of a huge bamboo clump in a hole dug into the mud bank.

The excitement & fear of seeing a deadly poisonous snake (banded krait) on the track is spine tingling even now after 30+ years. But all this does not compare with hunting the big cats ....my dad's stores still give me goose bumps.

He shot tigers & leopards in the 50s. His experience of a tiger being hit with a 12 bore lethal ball in the lungs and roaring repeatedly... that the trees and the machan shook! He is now 85 and still says that was the most terrifying experience of his life - a wounded tiger roaring at 30 yards.

On another occasion, he was asked to shoot a cattle killing leopard. The leopard had taken a young bullock in relatively open country and there were no trees or suitable bushes to hide in. This was at the edge of a village / fallow land where the leopard came regularly to take dogs, goats & cattle. So dad got a "kraal" basket - a big bamboo dome shaped basket of about 4 feet height & diameter. These baskets are used to hold young goats at night. He cut a slot in the bamboo and sat inside the basket. Later at night dad could hear the leopard walking outside the basket and huffing / sniffing. As he tried to get a shot he realised that the leopard was only about a meter away & he could not position properly his 10.75X68 rifle in the cramped environment. When he tried to move a bit the leopard heard him and with a loud growl it disappeared!

I have heard these stories for about 50 years and I still get a buzz out of it....my stomach churns, my heart races and my eyes water. Yes it was my dad and it was my India...and it was hunting the big cats at night.

THIS kind of stuff is why AR will always be the best. Man, what a picture painted. Cheers and a robust "hell yeah!" to your dad. Amazing and wonderful dream fodder. Many thanks.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote