THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    HELP!! Received WRONG set of Buffalo Horns!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!! Received WRONG set of Buffalo Horns!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
Here is the situation, I'm writing this for my friend who hunted cape buffalo last August (2010) in the Caprivi Strip with Eden Wildlife at their concession. A few months ago he received his trophy shipment and found the wrong set of buffalo horns included, but they were tagged with his information. They are actually better horns than his trophy but naturally he wants the trophy that he hunted, and I'm guessing the owner of these horns would rather have these. We think the trophies were mixed up in the camp or at the quarantine which was then run by Nyati, but we can't really be sure. We have not been able to get a list of hunters who took buffalo around that time in that camp, but apparently they were all American, so we are hoping the horns at least are in the states and past customs.

If you have any information that could help us get this sorted it would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me!! Here are pictures of the missing horns and I am working on getting a couple photos of the horns that we have.

Thanks

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe it's just me, but I think I'd contact Eden Wildlife, and see if they can't sort it out. If the horns are here in the states, then you can contact the owner.

Edit; Maybe you have already done this, after re-reading your post. In that case, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. Happened to me once.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Horns your buddy has are better than those in the picture!!! Lets see those pictures! One things for sure, there is no mistaking the horns on your buddy's bull; very unique.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Definitely should call Eden Wildlife and get a list of the hunters, and contact numbers. It shouldn't be hard to sort out.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does not suprise me about Nyati. Had a terrible time with them. Good luck

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post

Here are the buff horns that we received and are here in South Dakota.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yep no question, wrong horns.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by edholum:
They are actually better horns than his trophy

Judging by the photos, not so much.

JMHO

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
You're probably right, not bigger just very different conformations. Just going off what the hunter said.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That makes me sick. I hope he gets his trophy back.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Based on what experts have told me, including PHs, the ones that grow closer together and more solidly are older and better as trophies. If I were your friend, I'd want the ones he collected.

quote:
Originally posted by edholum:

Here are the buff horns that we received and are here in South Dakota.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Your friend should count his blessings. In 2006 I shot a 39" & 39 1/2" buff, sent them both for shoulder mounting by Jonas Bros. and when they got to my house neither one was a buff that I shot.
Anyone want to buy a 36" and a 37" shoulder mount?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
I received word that the hunter and his horns will soon be reunited!! dancing

He was able to get all involved parties in the same place at SCI in Vegas and it didn't take long to figure out where the problem occurred. Apparently his horns are in Nebraska, so it will just be a short drive for him to get them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news ED !!!!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool heads prevail. Most people will do the right thing given a chance. The truth and fairness usually win out.

Posts: 115 | Location: Sparta (where else?) | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post

Nice bosses on this buff. I much prefer them to the other ones.

Good luck hope you get them switched back.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote