New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant in Zambia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While I was at the SCI convention I got a chance to chat with Laura DuPlooy (Johnnie's better half) and she mentioned that they had Elephant on quota in Zambia and that they were US importable.

I hadn't seen that here before, but it is good news!

Otherwise, the SCI convention for me was a chance to meet with most of my past hunting connections and talk with Brian VanBlerk about my upcoming hunt with him. Overall, a fun time, but maybe next time I will plan on getting there on time so I can chat with some of the folks from around here.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It would seem but still requires clarification and who knows what quotas the operators will get.

Note due to the previous twenty year odd ban many PH's today have no elephant hunting experience.

Enclosed is photo of first set of tusks to come out after the ban in 2002. Taken Lower Zambezi. PH/Operator Doug Reynolds.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
either that is a very small woman or a set of very nice tusks.
now speaking out of ignorance(and i admit it) what would a set of tusks like that weigh ?

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Unless something has radically changed Zambian ivory is NOT importable into the US.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Unless something has radically changed Zambian ivory is NOT importable into the US.

Brett

brett

look at this:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/6221040941

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Posted 30 January 2011 01:33
From the SCI Convention Daily News, Saturday, January 29, 2011, Page A4

"For the first time in decades, hunters from the United States will be able to bring elephant ivory home from Zambia, following a formal agreement reached here at the Convention with officials from Zambia and the U.S.Fish & Wildlife Service."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't seen Kathi's post, but Laura was very explicit that the USF&W were on board now and that it was good to go. Apparently the Zambian officials have been working on this for quite a few years.

Laura is really plugged in to the regs in Zambia and one of the good folks over there to deal with.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Historic Elephant Announcement by Zambian Government at 2011 Safari Club International Convention

For Immediate Release January 31, 2011

Washington, DC – Safari Club International Foundation (SCIF) is pleased to announce that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) will allow the importation of 20 elephant hunting trophies annually from Zambia starting this 2011 hunting season. This historic announcement was made at the 2011 SCI Annual Hunters’ Convention in Reno, Nevada.

“After years of collaboration, the FWS has made the determination that sustainable hunting of elephants will contribute to the enhancement of the survival of elephants in Zambia,” said SCI Foundation President Joseph Hosmer. “As a form of sustainable-use, hunting is a key component of wildlife conservation and management worldwide. The SCI Foundation is very proud to be part of the announcement.”

A formal exchange between the FWS and the Zambian government was made on Thursday, Jan. 27 in conjunction with the SCI Foundation Department of Science-based Conservation and Research. The finding of enhancement by the FWS is a conclusion reached after many years of information sharing, including government to government meetings facilitated at the SCI Convention and the African Wildlife Consultative Forum (AWCF).

Underwritten by the SCI Foundation, the AWCF convenes African governments, world renowned wildlife biologists, professional hunter associations and leading conservation NGOs to share information and discuss current wildlife management issues.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brett

Brett - It was in fact the talk amongst the Zambian guys at SCI, and as Andrew says it does still need a final signature or two. But likely will be done in no time. Bell-Cross and I discussed who the hell is gonna judge the ivory for him, as it looks like he will be getting 1 on quota.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just got the historic SCI notice. Great news!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Bell-Cross and I discussed who the hell is gonna judge the ivory for him

That's too funny! I'm VERY pleased to be dead wrong on this one!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thanks SCI for a job well done.... tu2

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Brett

Brett - It was in fact the talk amongst the Zambian guys at SCI, and as Andrew says it does still need a final signature or two. But likely will be done in no time. Bell-Cross and I discussed who the hell is gonna judge the ivory for him, as it looks like he will be getting 1 on quota.

Rich has already sold it and I hope for the client's sake I am not hunting him as I have great difficulty telling which is the front or back of a foot print.

Elephant? That's that big thing with a long nose? Females don't have horns? Often seen running towards a chap called Buzz?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Rich has already sold it and I hope for the client's sake I am not hunting him as I have great difficulty telling which is the front or back of a foot print.

Elephant? That's that big thing with a long nose? Females don't have horns? Often seen running towards a chap called Buzz?

Andrew - Lary bought it! What a surprise??

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last trip to zambia we sure did see a hellovalot of eles. got chased several times. didn't really see any bull that we that big, but we were not hunting eles either. overall this is very good news

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Just another fine reason to hunt Zambia! I have no idea about western Zambia, but the Luangwa Valley has a big population of elephant, and though it has been some time since I have been in the valley, and things may have changed, after all that is part of AFRICA!
However the last time I was there I personally saw several bulls that I would love to have taken!

I can't think of a better place in Africa today to stand a chance of finding a 100 pounder than the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. So to you elephant hunters this is certainly good news!

Go get one Mike Jines! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Just another fine reason to hunt Zambia! I have no idea about western Zambia, but the Luangwa Valley has a big population of elephant, and though it has been some time since I have been in the valley, and things may have changed, after all that is part of AFRICA!
However the last time I was there I personally saw several bulls that I would love to have taken!

I can't think of a better place in Africa today to stand a chance of finding a 100 pounder than the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. So to you elephant hunters this is certainly good news!

Go get one Mike Jines! tu2

Sadly and not too long ago the population of elephant in the Luangwa was reduced from 100,000 to 12,000 and the big tuskers have all but gone.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
From the couple books I've read of old timers hunting in Northern Rhodesia I seem to remember they weren't shooting big elephants even 100 years ago. 50-60lbs. seemed to be a good one back then and most were being shot bellow or well bellow that mark.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no judge of Ivory but in September while hunting with Johnny we saw lots of Elephant and two had rather large tusks. Unfortunately one only had a right tusk the other a left. Now if you could get a 2 for 1 sale and pop both you might have quite a prize. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote